Massachusetts Thread

Adam Kurkjian

If you're a sucker for 90's HS football, here is a good Vimeo page. There are some good games there. Brockton is featured with a lot of talented players. The first half of the 1994 game with New Bedford is fun. Hopefully the guy who does the page can get up the second half soon. NB finished that year ranked in the USA Today Top 25. There is also a '94 game between Brockton and Chaminade (Ohio). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

If you're a sucker for 90's HS football, here is a good Vimeo page. There are some good games there. Brockton is featured with a lot of talented players. The first half of the 1994 game with New Bedford is fun. Hopefully the guy who does the page can get up the second half soon. NB finished that year ranked in the USA Today Top 25. There is also a '94 game between Brockton and Chaminade (Ohio). 

Everett Mass came down to FL for a bowl game in the 90’s. Last time I heard of a Mass team coming South. 

Mass used to be a power state in the first half of the 20th century. 

• Like 1

I will hopefully go to the Brockton-St. John's (Shrewsbury) scrimmage on Sunday.

This has nothing to do with that, but I recently asked a coach here what the difference is with the national teams his team has played over the years. This is his answer:

"Depth is the key.  For every 3-4 great players we have, they have 10-12 and very few Two-way players.  The other issue is spring football in most states and we’re always a week or two behind teams when we play because we start so late in August.  Overall speed at skill positions too is impressive in some of these programs.  

A lot of guys that can go the distance if you make a mistake.  And we seem to draw elite level teams when we go looking.  Many state champs on our list of opponents."

I thought this was a good, thoughtful answer.

• Like 1

Checked out St. John's (S) at Brockton scrimmage. Wrote about it here.

Both teams had some impressive size. Both offenses were solid. SJS executed sharply on most occasions. Brockton quarterback Devonte Medley is a playmaker both running and throwing. Brockton's Nayvon Reid is a huge target at 6-6. Going to Bentley, but some of the Brockton coaches were frustrated that D1 schools didn't come after him.

• Like 1

The Fall II season has kicked off here.

I covered Franklin at Mansfield for the Boston Herald. Mansfield rolled. TJ Guy is going to be a good one for Michigan. Cincere Gill was the fastest guy on the field and he ran all over Franklin.

The big result was Xaverian beat BC High, 28-12. Xaverian struggled in 2019 but they are playing well. Big line, skills are improved over a year ago.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

The Fall II season has kicked off here.

I covered Franklin at Mansfield for the Boston Herald. Mansfield rolled. TJ Guy is going to be a good one for Michigan. Cincere Gill was the fastest guy on the field and he ran all over Franklin.

The big result was Xaverian beat BC High, 28-12. Xaverian struggled in 2019 but they are playing well. Big line, skills are improved over a year ago.

Who are the top ranked teams that are gonna be playing 

Second week in the books. Read about it here.

Springfield Central is loaded, and mostly sophomores in the lineup. The Golden Eagles will be good for a long time.

BC High knocked off St. John's Prep, 37-35, in overtime, up in Danvers. A big win for BC High after losing the opener at Xaverian.

Brockton hosts Xaverian this weekend in a big one. Both teams are 2-0. Brockton quarterback Devonte Medley is off to a nice start.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here are some of the OOS games for Massachusetts this fall. I'm sure there are more, but these are just ones I've seen. I'm not sure of home or away on some of these.

Catholic Memorial vs. Father Judge (Pa.) — CM will be either the No. 1 or 2 team in Mass. I don't think Father Judge is that highly thought of, so this should be a comfortable win for CM.

Catholic Memorial vs. La Salle (RI) — La Salle is a pretty good program in Rhode Island, and has beaten some Mass. teams over the years. CM is a different animal, though, and the Knights should take this.

Catholic Memorial vs. Bishop Hendricken (RI) — Hendricken is the best team in RI. CM should win here, but out of the three OOS teams mentioned, Hendricken probably puts up the biggest fight.

BC High vs. Canisius (NY) — This one intrigues me. BC High has a new coach, so a lot of unanswered questions. The Eagles lost a lot to graduation, but should compete well. I don't know what Canisius brings back, but it's a team that usually contends in NY. Should be interesting.

IMG Academy (Fla.) at Springfield Central — This one has already created a fair amount of buzz. Central is —like CM — either the best or second-best team in Mass. No matter what happens, the Central kids will get the experience of playing the best. Central always schedules up, and they're doing it again this season.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 8:08 PM, Adam Kurkjian said:

Second week in the books. Read about it here.

Springfield Central is loaded, and mostly sophomores in the lineup. The Golden Eagles will be good for a long time.

BC High knocked off St. John's Prep, 37-35, in overtime, up in Danvers. A big win for BC High after losing the opener at Xaverian.

Brockton hosts Xaverian this weekend in a big one. Both teams are 2-0. Brockton quarterback Devonte Medley is off to a nice start.

Hope to see you at the SC game vs IMG! 

• Like 1