Massachusetts Thread

Adam Kurkjian

Bishop Sullivan wins 55-7 (I think, I left with 1:30 to go).

Central, trailing 28-7 with  20 seconds left in the half, picked off BS in the endzone and ran it back 103 yards for a score.  Unfortunately they were called for a chop block back at their own 30 or so.

They were hanging in there (losing to be sure, but still fighting) but that took the starch out of them.

I don't know if it was due to BS playing their third game while this was Central's opener, but Central's tackiling was awful.

Couple this with BS being bigger and noticeably faster and you have the recipe for a mismatch.

Interesting observation: Sullivan tried onside kicks three times in the first half, recovering none.

Late in the fourth quarter they kicked deliberate line drives that didn't get more than 2 feet off the ground.  The ball bounced and tumbled so much it allowed the coverage team to be right on the receiver.

I hope they were just practicing for future use, as they were already up by 35 to 40 points.

22 minutes ago, Wosinc said:

I think Central is in for another long afternoon next week against SJS.

Yeah. At least they schedule up though. It's an admirable trait.

Brockton stormed back and made a game of it, but Lexington won, 42-28.

Everett is cruising, 38-7, over Xaverian in the fourth.

SJP shut out Haverhill, 27-0.

In other New England action, Iona Prep of NY leads Rhode Island's Bishop Hendricken, 33-22, in a shootout. Third quarter.

31 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Yeah. At least they schedule up though. It's an admirable trait.

Brockton stormed back and made a game of it, but Lexington won, 42-28.

Everett is cruising, 38-7, over Xaverian in the fourth.

SJP shut out Haverhill, 27-0.

In other New England action, Iona Prep of NY leads Rhode Island's Bishop Hendricken, 33-22, in a shootout. Third quarter.

I believe Iona Prep won, 40-22.  However Iona lost their best receiver with an ankle injury.  Gonna hurt them big time going forward if he's out for any lengthy period of time.

3 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

That's too bad. It sounded like Iona Prep scored almost every time they touched the ball.

The CHSFL will most likely go to either Stepinac, Hayes, St Ants, or Iona.  Iona won today vs Bishop Hendricken, RI 40-22.  Stepinac beat St Peters (Staten Island) 56-26.  St Ants beat Delbaton, NJ 35-21 today.  Hayes opens up next week (they start a week later as they  gave a Thanksgiving day game every year vs Mt St Michael).  Throw in Msgr. Farrell on Staten Island and it should be a very tight league race this season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

That was as expected. At least SC took the game. A lot of teams around here would not want a piece of a squad like BS.

SC does deserve credit for scheduling up, but from what I saw today they need some serious revision to their offensive play calling.

Again, don't know if it was due to first game kinks or what but their offense was extremely limited.

Basically they ran three plays: dives up the middle which never worked, short passes out to the side to a receiver behind the LOS (not even a screen) which were sniffed out every time (BS speed), and once in a while over the top, which worked exactly once.

They worked hard but were too predictable.  Or maybe they just didn't have the people to execute.

Anyway, just my take.

5 minutes ago, Wosinc said:

SC does deserve credit for scheduling up, but from what I saw today they need some serious revision to their offensive play calling.

Again, don't know if it was due to first game kinks or what but their offense was extremely limited.

Basically they ran three plays: dives up the middle which never worked, short passes out to the side to a receiver behind the LOS (not even a screen) which were sniffed out every time (BS speed), and once in a while over the top, which worked exactly once.

They worked hard but were too predictable.  Or maybe they just didn't have the people to execute.

Anyway, just my take.

Yeah, I didn't see the game. To be honest, the talent disparity was so large that I'm not sure it would have mattered. We'll see how they do going forward though.