Massachusetts Thread

Adam Kurkjian

22 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Some interesting results this weekend.

Everett rolled St. John's Prep, 42-28, with one of the Prep's touchdowns coming against the Everett backups. That said, the Prep moved the ball pretty well against the Everett 1s and there is some mild concern over the Crimson Tide's defense. The offense is in fine shape, though. But the Prep showed some life, and its sophomore quarterback made some plays when the starter was knocked out of the game.

Central Catholic had some trouble with Methuen but eventually pulled away, 47-30. This is a team that is still probably No. 2 in the state.

BC High took care of Hudson Catholic, (N.J.), 30-14, but that game was a little closer than I thought it would be.

Abp. Stepinac (N.Y.) handled Xaverian, 42-20, in a game where the Hawks really couldn't deal with Stepinac's speed on the perimeter.

Marshfield blasted Falmouth, 57-6, in a game that was expected to be much closer. That makes BC High's win over Marshfield last week look even better.

Lexington lit up Reading, 41-21, in a game that proved the Minutemen may have the ability to really contend in Division 1 North.

Big, big win for North Andover over Tewksbury in a 35-16 victory. This is a team that can really make some noise in D2 North.

Catholic Memorial earned a huge win over Brockton, 15-10, to really keep its playoff hopes alive. CM should make it but has a tough schedule. Brockton really struggling now.

Melrose doubled up Watertown, 28-14, and the Red Raiders look like a team to watch in Division 4 North.

Mansfield escaped Franklin, 14-13, as the Hockomock League has some decent parity this season.

Natick took down Milton, 35-19, and looks like the best team in either division of the Bay State Conference and a contender in D2 South.

Foxboro slipped past Stoughton, 13-12, and may only be a D5 team, but can play with higher division teams.

In the ISL, Lawrence Academy pummeled BB&N, 38-17. This is a team that I'd love to see play Everett.

My alma mater, Milton Academy, slipped by a good St. Sebastian's team, 21-19, in overtime.

Governor's Academy topped Brooks, 23-7, and will be heard from in that title chase.

Main takeaways:

Everett's offense will score on anyone, but the defense is a concern. A potential game with Central Catholic could be more competitive than originally thought.

BC High appears the clear favorite in D1 South, but don't be deceived by Xaverian's loss to Stepinac. The Hawks can still beat anyone in D1 South. It's the teams in the North that will cause the most problems for them.

D2 South is shaping up to be a terrific bracket. King Philip, Natick, Marshfield, Bridgewater-Raynham and Mansfield can all win that sectional. Would not be surprised by any result there.

North Andover made the statement of the weekend. Knew it had some talent but put it all together. RB/DB Darren Watson is only a junior and he's a stud.

The ISL still looks like it runs through Lawrence Academy, but my boys over at MA will have something to say about that. But Lawrence is so tough up front that the Spartans will be tough to stop.

Told you

Just now, Wosinc said:

Everett is a completely different kettle of fish.

It would be interesting to see how they stack up against some stout OOS competition.

Might be a disaster, though.

Could be. I would say send them to NJ but i would have to see how Everett plays in order to try to figure out a good matchup so both teams dont waste their time

Just now, paladin4ever said:

Oh DePaul should roll. But, HC may keep it interesting early. Like I said, HC could compete with teams in NPG3 not named SJR, DePaul or RBC. They also play Delbarton so that could be a true indicator of their talent.

Ok. You said originally anyone in NPG3. So i mentioned the game against Depaul lol

On 9/24/2017 at 9:21 AM, Adam Kurkjian said:

Some interesting results this weekend.

Everett rolled St. John's Prep, 42-28, with one of the Prep's touchdowns coming against the Everett backups. That said, the Prep moved the ball pretty well against the Everett 1s and there is some mild concern over the Crimson Tide's defense. The offense is in fine shape, though. But the Prep showed some life, and its sophomore quarterback made some plays when the starter was knocked out of the game.

Central Catholic had some trouble with Methuen but eventually pulled away, 47-30. This is a team that is still probably No. 2 in the state.

BC High took care of Hudson Catholic, (N.J.), 30-14, but that game was a little closer than I thought it would be.

Abp. Stepinac (N.Y.) handled Xaverian, 42-20, in a game where the Hawks really couldn't deal with Stepinac's speed on the perimeter.

Marshfield blasted Falmouth, 57-6, in a game that was expected to be much closer. That makes BC High's win over Marshfield last week look even better.

Lexington lit up Reading, 41-21, in a game that proved the Minutemen may have the ability to really contend in Division 1 North.

Big, big win for North Andover over Tewksbury in a 35-16 victory. This is a team that can really make some noise in D2 North.

Catholic Memorial earned a huge win over Brockton, 15-10, to really keep its playoff hopes alive. CM should make it but has a tough schedule. Brockton really struggling now.

Melrose doubled up Watertown, 28-14, and the Red Raiders look like a team to watch in Division 4 North.

Mansfield escaped Franklin, 14-13, as the Hockomock League has some decent parity this season.

Natick took down Milton, 35-19, and looks like the best team in either division of the Bay State Conference and a contender in D2 South.

Foxboro slipped past Stoughton, 13-12, and may only be a D5 team, but can play with higher division teams.

In the ISL, Lawrence Academy pummeled BB&N, 38-17. This is a team that I'd love to see play Everett.

My alma mater, Milton Academy, slipped by a good St. Sebastian's team, 21-19, in overtime.

Governor's Academy topped Brooks, 23-7, and will be heard from in that title chase.

Main takeaways:

Everett's offense will score on anyone, but the defense is a concern. A potential game with Central Catholic could be more competitive than originally thought.

BC High appears the clear favorite in D1 South, but don't be deceived by Xaverian's loss to Stepinac. The Hawks can still beat anyone in D1 South. It's the teams in the North that will cause the most problems for them.

D2 South is shaping up to be a terrific bracket. King Philip, Natick, Marshfield, Bridgewater-Raynham and Mansfield can all win that sectional. Would not be surprised by any result there.

North Andover made the statement of the weekend. Knew it had some talent but put it all together. RB/DB Darren Watson is only a junior and he's a stud.

The ISL still looks like it runs through Lawrence Academy, but my boys over at MA will have something to say about that. But Lawrence is so tough up front that the Spartans will be tough to stop.

Erasmus Hall out of Brooklyn is a team I've been impressed with this year.  They have a big, mobile line (A Guard committed to Ohio St) and a 3 headed monster at WR who are committed to Wisconsin, Temple, and Rutgers respectively.  They also have a CB committed to UCONN and a few others that will be playing D-1A next year.  They have all the tools to be the best team in the state this year.  Too bad NY doesn't have a real integrated playoff system, and there are plenty of "what if's" every season.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

Erasmus Hall out of Brooklyn is a team I've been impressed with this year.  They have a big, mobile line (A Guard committed to Ohio St) and a 3 headed monster at WR who are committed to Wisconsin, Temple, and Rutgers respectively.  They also have a CB committed to UCONN and a few others that will be playing D-1A next year.  They have all the tools to be the best team in the state this year.  Too bad NY doesn't have a real integrated playoff system, and there are plenty of "what if's" every season.

Yeah, I kind of feel like the city teams don't get the credit they deserve most years. When I watch some of those teams on film, they look a lot better than the teams that get ranked ahead of them by the NY sportswriters and computer polls. Like you said, I think that's due to the nature of the scheduling and playoff system in that state. I'd put the top city team against the AA or Catholic champ any year and expect a 50-50 type outcome. It's frustrating, but it's such a huge state with so many teams that it would be difficult to find a true state champ for each class.

14 hours ago, NYHSFAN33 said:

EH usually has some good athletes. Curtis Samuel who went to OSU came from there. I would EH and PP are the biggest 2 programs in Brooklyn for football. Could be wrong though. The sportswriters of NY have Troy #1 in the state. I would like to see EH play in NJ just to get a test of what they are

Wanted to get some opinions on the well-traveled ISL (prep-private) vs. MIAA (public/Catholic) debate. We have a little film to go on now that the ISL season started last weekend.

Unfortunately, I don't know where to find any ISL game film, but hudl has highlights of last weekend's games. I know judging teams based on highlights isn't really an accurate way to go about this exercise, but still wanted to see what people thought from an objective standpoint.

Here's the first part of the Everett-St. John's Prep game. This is the most relevant film from that one because Everett sort of let up on both sides of the ball after jumping out to such a huge lead early. (This is sort of what the Crimson Tide do in the regular season, especially. Their coach is very conscience of not running up the score to the point where he's told referees at halftime that if the Tide score a TD against a clearly inferior team to throw a flag.)

Unfortunately, I can't find much of anything for Central Catholic, which looks like the No. 2 team in the MIAA. There are a few good clips of BC High here although not every kid has senior film listed.

There's also not much on Lexington, which is a shame, because their QB is a treat to watch (will play baseball at BC and some say his best sport is hockey).

There are a few good looks at Xaverian here.

King Philip won't blow people away on film but trust me, they are as tough to coach against as any team in this state.

Marshfield is also ranked fairly high but lost to BC High. Still, worth a look in this debate.

Two other teams that don't get mentioned in that top tier yet but I think will by the end of the season are North Andover and Dennis-Yarmouth. D-Y has been pointing to this year for a while but North Andover might just be scratching the surface. NA is pretty junior heavy.

Duxbury has a loss to Bridgewater-Raynham (hard to find a lot of '17 film, too) but will be there in the end.

Mansfield is also a team to keep an eye on but might be a year away.

There are others, but for now, that's a good list to go on with the MIAA.

For ISL, here's Lawrence Academy, Milton Academy, St. Sebastian's, Belmont Hill, BB&N, Governor's Academy and Brooks, the seven teams people are touting for this year.

IMO, the belief that these top ISL teams are above and beyond better than the top MIAA teams is false. Some of the ISL teams have a few major recruits, but not enough to render the top MIAA programs in a lower category. But wanted to see what you guys thought.

1 hour ago, HSFBfan said:

EH usually has some good athletes. Curtis Samuel who went to OSU came from there. I would EH and PP are the biggest 2 programs in Brooklyn for football. Could be wrong though. The sportswriters of NY have Troy #1 in the state. I would like to see EH play in NJ just to get a test of what they are

PP is terrible.  They have had a few good teams in the past but their program is awful right now.