Massachusetts Thread

Adam Kurkjian

5 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

49-14 final. Colleague who covered the game said Prep AD and coach said this is the best Everett team they've ever seen (there have been many ... program closing in on 800 wins). Likely caught two passes, both for touchdowns, for 110 yards. Everett QB Jake Willcox 4-of-6 for 226 yards and three touchdowns. Everett coach John DiBiaso with his 300th career win.

But, sure, the best Everett team in the modern era wouldn't crack the top 10 in New England this year.

Wonder if they can be set up with someone their own size.  Would be nice to see them tested.

Just now, NYHSFAN33 said:

Wonder if they can be set up with someone their own size.  Would be nice to see them tested.

Tried like crazy to make something happen over the offseason. With the help of GSB, nearly got one with done but it was a cross-country trip and the $ couldn't be worked out. Other teams simply don't want to play them.

I think Central Catholic can give them a decent game in the D1 North finals if it happens, but I'd still have Everett as a heavy favorite there.

38 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Tried like crazy to make something happen over the offseason. With the help of GSB, nearly got one with done but it was a cross-country trip and the $ couldn't be worked out. Other teams simply don't want to play them.

I think Central Catholic can give them a decent game in the D1 North finals if it happens, but I'd still have Everett as a heavy favorite there.

Seems like something with one of the BNU schools should work out. Close geography, BNU needs more games etc.... would be interesting.

OK, into the playoffs now. Some interesting results with more to come this weekend. Let's get into it.

Top 5 teams in the state

1. Everett (7-0) — Annihilated St. John's Prep and up to five players with 1a offers. Each position group on offense and defense has at least one player with a 1aa offer or better. No. 5 WR has a 1aa offer.

2. Lawrence Academy (6-0) — Think we might have to wait until the NEPSAC bowls until we see someone give this team a game.

3. Central Catholic (8-0) — Has already beaten Methuen once and will get a chance to do so again for the trip to the D1 North final.

4. St. John's (S) (8-0) — Had a scare against Marlboro in its closest game of the season.

5. BC High (8-0) — Big semifinal D1 South matchup with rival Catholic Memorial.

Games to watch

Friday, 11/3

D1 North, Everett at Lexington — Lexington can score, but won't be able to keep up with the Tide.

D1 South, CM at BC High — Look for BC High to avenge last year's loss in this game.

D2 South, Mansfield at King Philip — Huge win for Mansfield last week over Marshfield. KP won this matchup in the regular season and will be the slight favorite again.

D2 South, Bridgewater-Raynham at Natick — Should be an even game but give me B-R.

D3 North, Billerica at Lynn English — Really not sure what to expect here, but part of me leaning toward Billerica.

D3 South, Stoughton at North Attleboro — The host Red Rocketeers aka Big Red should move on here. Will be tight though.

D3 South, Hingham at Duxbury — Really could go either way, but Duxbury is a little more battle-tested.

D4 North, Wilmington at Marblehead — Marblehead is terrific defensively but has been living dangerously a lot this year.

D4 Central, Marlboro at Grafton — Marlboro gave St. John's (S) its toughest game of the season. Will be a tough out.

D5 North, Watertown at Somerville — Highlanders coming into their own with some terrific skill players.

D5 South, Foxboro at Dennis-Yarmouth — Foxboro has played teams tough this year, but D-Y has been dominant.

• Like 3

Just now, Adam Kurkjian said:

OK, into the playoffs now. Some interesting results with more to come this weekend. Let's get into it.

Top 5 teams in the state

1. Everett (7-0) — Annihilated St. John's Prep and up to five players with 1a offers. Each position group on offense and defense has at least one player with a 1aa offer or better. No. 5 WR has a 1aa offer.

2. Lawrence Academy (6-0) — Think we might have to wait until the NEPSAC bowls until we see someone give this team a game.

3. Central Catholic (8-0) — Has already beaten Methuen once and will get a chance to do so again for the trip to the D1 North final.

4. St. John's (S) (8-0) — Had a scare against Marlboro in its closest game of the season.

5. BC High (8-0) — Big semifinal D1 South matchup with rival Catholic Memorial.

Games to watch

Friday, 11/3

D1 North, Everett at Lexington — Lexington can score, but won't be able to keep up with the Tide.

D1 South, CM at BC High — Look for BC High to avenge last year's loss in this game.

D2 South, Mansfield at King Philip — Huge win for Mansfield last week over Marshfield. KP won this matchup in the regular season and will be the slight favorite again.

D2 South, Bridgewater-Raynham at Natick — Should be an even game but give me B-R.

D3 North, Billerica at Lynn English — Really not sure what to expect here, but part of me leaning toward Billerica.

D3 South, Stoughton at North Attleboro — The host Red Rocketeers aka Big Red should move on here. Will be tight though.

D3 South, Hingham at Duxbury — Really could go either way, but Duxbury is a little more battle-tested.

D4 North, Wilmington at Marblehead — Marblehead is terrific defensively but has been living dangerously a lot this year.

D4 Central, Marlboro at Grafton — Marlboro gave St. John's (S) its toughest game of the season. Will be a tough out.

D5 North, Watertown at Somerville — Highlanders coming into their own with some terrific skill players.

D5 South, Foxboro at Dennis-Yarmouth — Foxboro has played teams tough this year, but D-Y has been dominant.

is St. Johns different then St. Johns Prep??

Huge result tonight: CM 21, BC High 20. Hail Mary as time runs out and PAT with no time left on the clock. CM has now beaten Brockton, Xaverian and BC High with comeback wins in the fourth quarter with under two minutes remaining.

Everett led Lexington, 42-14, at the half and won, 49-21. Another game where the Tide score 40-plus at the half and call off the dogs. Central won and will meet Everett in D1 North final. Winner of that will face winner of X-CM D1 South final.

• Like 1

Sectional finals kicking off this weekend. Let's get into it.

Statewide Top 5 (NEPSAC included)

1. Everett (8-0) — Calpreps has finally caught on and the Tide are back up to the top team in the state there.

2. Lawrence Academy (7-0) — Would love to see this team get either Cheshire or Choate in a NEPSAC Bowl game.

3. Central Catholic (9-0) — Gets to take its shot at the king this week.

4. St. John's (S) (9-0) — Rematch with crosstown rival Shrewsbury up next.

5. Dennis-Yarmouth (9-0) — With BC High's loss, D-Y moves in after dominating its schedule to this point.

Games to Watch

Friday

D2 North final:  North Andover at Lincoln-Sudbury, 7 p.m. — L-S will be favored, but keep an eye on both of these teams for next year, as well.

D2 South final: Bridgewater-Raynham at King Philip, 7 p.m. — A rematch of last year's playoff showdown. KP has been on a roll but this could go either way.

D3 South final: Duxbury at North Attleboro, 7 p.m. — This marks the third straight time the teams have met in the playoffs. Duxbury won the last two. Expect a thriller.

D4 North final: Marblehead at Melrose, 7 p.m. — Tough call, as both of these teams are unbeaten, but Melrose has played a little better this year. Still, total tossup.

D4 South final: Milton at Hopkinton, 7 p.m. — Two real good passing attacks. Milton has some very good speed, but I'm going with Hopkinton.

D5 North final: Watertown at Lynnfield, 7 p.m. — Colleague Dan Ventura did a great piece on Watertown this week, which is playing with less than 30 kids. Lynnfield might be a bit tough to overcome though.

D5 South final: Scituate at Dennis-Yarmouth, 6 p.m. — Scituate has a good squad, but D-Y hasn't had trouble with really anyone so far.

D5 West final: West Springfield vs. Longmeadow at Holyoke — Two of the top WMass programs outside of Springfield Central lock horns here. West Side likely comes away on top.

D6 South final: Middleboro at Old Rochester, 7 p.m. — Middleboro has stumbled a bit along the way, but I had this team winning the section at the beginning of the season and will stick with it.

Saturday

D1 North final: Everett at Central Catholic, 5 p.m. — The question will be if Central can come up with enough stops to give QB Bret Edwards and its offense a chance to stay in it. No one has been able to yet against these Everett skill kids.

D1 South final: Catholic Memorial at Xaverian, 6 p.m. — CM with the shocker over BC High last week. This is a tossup. Neither team will be given much of a shot to knock off the North winner.

D3 North final: Tewksbury at Lynn English, 2 p.m. — LE is unbeaten and playing extremely well. Tewksbury has had more recent success, but I like the Bulldogs here.

D3 Central final: Shrewsbury vs. St. John's (S) at Doyle Field, Leominster, 5 p.m. — Pioneers should prevail here, but Shrewsbury always plays them tough.

D4 Central final: Nashoba vs. Marlboro at Doyle Field, 11 a.m. — Nashoba won the first meeting by a point earlier this season.

D6 North final: Stoneham at Hamilton-Wenham, 1 p.m. — Sneaky good matchup between two fairly underrated squads.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

D5 North final: Watertown at Lynnfield, 7 p.m. — Colleague Dan Ventura did a great piece on Watertown this week, which is playing with less than 30 kids.

D5 West final: West Springfield vs. Longmeadow at Holyoke — Two of the top WMass programs outside of Springfield Central lock horns here. West Side likely comes away on top.

According to the MIAA website, Watertown has 352 boys, while West Springfield has 639, which would put them at the high end of D3 in EMass and is bigger than several WMass D3 schools. Those Armenians are tough but the MIAA needs to sort out the divisions somehow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MA Fan said:

According to the MIAA website, Watertown has 352 boys, while West Springfield has 639, which would put them at the high end of D3 in EMass and is bigger than several WMass D3 schools. Those Armenians are tough but the MIAA needs to sort out the divisions somehow.

I wish I could like this post 100 times, LOL.

Big weekend on tap. Let's get to it...

Statewide Top 5 (NEPSAC included)

1. Everett (9-0) — Can put the cherry on top on one of their best seasons ever in a couple weeks at Gillette Stadium.

2. Lawrence Academy (8-0) — Clearly one of the best teams in New England talent-wise.

3. Central Catholic (9-1) — Not dropping this team for losing to Everett.

4. St. John's (S) (10-0) — Very impressive still. Considered moving this team to No. 2 or 3 a number of times. May still do it.

5. Dennis-Yarmouth (10-0) — Purely dominant, but I will say, unbeaten King Philip and Lincoln-Sudbury make this a very tough choice. 5a and 5b there.

Games to watch

Friday

D5 state semifinal: Dennis-Yarmouth vs. Watertown at Medford, 6 p.m. — Huge Armenian community in Watertown and home of many of my relatives, but D-Y is a wagon this year. But Watertown should be proud of what it accomplished.

D6 state semifinal: Stoneham vs. Middleboro at Woburn, 7 p.m. — This should be a great take. Both teams very effective running the ball, and Middleboro has a speedster in Jeremy Soule. Tossup.

D8 state semifinal: Millis vs. Cathedral at Woburn, 5 p.m. — Pretty intriguing for the fact that Millis has a five-star sophomore offensive tackle with offers from everyone, while Cathedral has good skill. Both good programs.

Saturday

D3 state semifinal: North Attleboro vs. Tewksbury at Weymouth, 11 a.m. — Two well-coached public programs who are always in it. North does a tremendous job with their jet series and Tewksbury uses a ton of formations to throw defenses off. I'll be at this one.

D3 state semifinal: St. John's (S) vs. Springfield Central at Worcester, 2 p.m. — St. John's dominated this one earlier in the year.

D4 state semifinal: Hopkinton vs Melrose at Weymouth, 2 p.m. — Another even matchup. Hopkinton more of a passing threat, while Melrose is more ground oriented. Another true tossup.

D5 state semifinal: West Springfield vs. Nipmuc at Westfield, 2 p.m. — Haven't seen as much of these teams, but will go with West Side for now.

D7 state semifinal: St. Mary's (Lynn) vs. Mashpee at Braintree, 2 p.m. — These teams are lower division squads but good enough to hang with a lot of teams with bigger enrollments. Will be a smashmouth affair. Another tossup.

D7 state semifinal: Wahconah vs. Blackstone Valley at Worcester, 11 a.m. — Wahconah is a little underrated because they're so far out west, but I like them here.

D8 state semifinal: Hoosac Valley vs. Nashoba Tech at Wetsfield, 11 a.m. — Whoever wins this will be a major underdog to Millis or Cathedral.

Forgot to add this is NEPSAC Bowl week:

The only one I'm going to focus on here is Phillips Academy (Andover) vs. Lawrence Academy (Saturday). To me, this is a bit disappointing, because I'd want to see Lawrence take on Cheshire Academy, whose only loss was to Bishop Sullivan. That game was competitive for about 3/4 quarters before Bishop Sullivan pulled away. Would love to see what Lawrence, Choate or Avon Old Farms would do against Cheshire, but for whatever reason, Cheshire was not allowed in the NEPSAC Bowl circle. This is silly, imo, of the NEPSAC to keep them out. Lawrence, Choate, Avon Old Farms and Cheshire are the four best NEPSAC teams this year, and only two of them will be playing each other. Just a disappointment. Lawrence beat Cheshire last year and it would be a great game.

North Attleboro beats Tewksbury, 29-21, to advance to the D3 state title game against either St. John's (S), which is most likely, or Springfield Central. Great win for the Red Rocketeers. Will have their hands full with St. John's if they face them, but either way a great season.

With King Philip in the D2 title game, that's two Hockomock League teams from the large (Kelley-Rex) and small (Davenport) divisions playing for state titles in the same year. King Philip beat North, 24-14, in the first game I saw in person this year.