Massachusetts Thread

Adam Kurkjian

On 11/16/2017 at 2:16 PM, Adam Kurkjian said:

The only one I'm going to focus on here is Phillips Academy (Andover) vs. Lawrence Academy (Saturday). To me, this is a bit disappointing, because I'd want to see Lawrence take on Cheshire Academy, whose only loss was to Bishop Sullivan. That game was competitive for about 3/4 quarters before Bishop Sullivan pulled away. Would love to see what Lawrence, Choate or Avon Old Farms would do against Cheshire, but for whatever reason, Cheshire was not allowed in the NEPSAC Bowl circle. This is silly, imo, of the NEPSAC to keep them out. Lawrence, Choate, Avon Old Farms and Cheshire are the four best NEPSAC teams this year, and only two of them will be playing each other. Just a disappointment. Lawrence beat Cheshire last year and it would be a great game.

Why was Cheshire prevented from competing?

• 2 weeks later...

State finals coming up. Here's a quick primer (plus my statewide top 5)

Statewide Top 5 (including NEPSAC schools)

1. Everett (10-0) — Have had a few strangely uneven performances lately, but don't expect that Saturday.

2. Lawrence Academy (9-0) — Some people think the Spartans would beat Everett. I disagree with those people.

3. Central Catholic (10-1) — Most other years, this is the No. 1 team.

4. St. John's (S) (12-0) — An offensive juggernaut.

5. Dennis-Yarmouth (12-0) — Has dismantled basically everyone on the schedule.

State title primer (all games at Gillette Stadium)

Division 1: Everett vs. Xaverian — Xaverian has done a great job in coach Al Fornaro's first year. He was a longtime defensive coordinator before taking over the head job. They stumbled early and have played a brutal schedule. Some young kids have stepped up and the team is playing its best ball at the right time. However, Everett simply has too many weapons. It would be a surprise if this were actually close. Everett runs away with this, as this is the Tide's best team in at least 15 years, if not longer. This is also the best team Massachusetts has produced over that time, maybe in the last 20.

Division 2: King Philip vs. Lincoln-Sudbury — This one is truly tough to forecast. KP hasn't lost a game since 2015. The Warriors play great defense, can run the ball and are about as well coached as can be. L-S is unbeaten, too, and will bring back a lot next year as well. Offensive line is all juniors. Going to take KP in this one, but I expect a close game.

Division 3: North Attleboro vs. St. John's (Shrewsbury) — North has only lost to KP and executes very well. But SJS is going to be a heavy favorite. SJS has a ton more speed and is bigger, too. North is a much smaller school and on top of that, SJS is a Catholic school that gets kids from all over. North has tough, hard-nosed players, but just don't think they can pull this off.

Division 4: Melrose vs. Nashoba — Melrose has played well all season and is unbeaten. This is a team that can run the ball and is pretty well coached. Nashoba plays a little differently than they did a few years ago when they were basically a smashmouth team. They can sling it around a little more this year. This is more of a tossup.

Division 5: Dennis-Yarmouth vs. West Springfield — West Springfield may be flying a little under the radar this game, but D-Y really should take care of business here. The Dolphins are big, fast and well coached. I don't see them having too much trouble here, but anything can happen.

Division 6: Middleboro vs Littleton — Middleboro has a speedy running back in Jeremy Soule who really is the engine that makes that offense go. Littleton has been in a lot of big games over the years knows how to win them. This could go either way, but I'm leaning toward Littleton.

Division 7: Mashpee vs. Blackstone Valley — Mashpee is a Cape Cod team like D-Y that is way better than its divisional placement would indicate. Mashpee has a big line with a fast RB and is also used to being in big games like this. I expect a blowout win here.

Division 8: Millis vs. Hoosac Valley — Millis, as you would expect from a Division 8 school, does not have a huge roster, but has some good talent with a sophomore offensive tackle who is the second-ranked overall prospect in the country by 247. I'll go with Millis here, although Hoosac may put up a decent fight.