Massachusetts Thread

Adam Kurkjian

Time to bump this up because there was some pretty big news.

Everett coach John DiBiaso had relinquished his job as the head football coach weeks ago and then just yesterday was announced at a press conference as the new coach at Catholic Memorial. Dib will coach the rest of the basketball season at Everett.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Time to bump this up because there was some pretty big news.

Everett coach John DiBiaso had relinquished his job as the head football coach weeks ago and then just yesterday was announced at a press conference as the new coach at Catholic Memorial. Dib will coach the rest of the basketball season at Everett.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

😎 (because of the sparkly avatar) 😎

Apparently no word yet on his replacement at Everett?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I'd do a signing day update final count from Everett:

CB/WR Jason Maitre (will play CB at Boston College)

OL Helber Fagundes (UMass, very nice get because he had bigger offers on the table)

WR Isaiah Likely (Coastal Carolina)

RB/LB Kevin Brown (Rhode Island)

LB Duane Binns (Rhode Island)

WR/ATH David Zorilla (Bryant)

LB Jordan Riggs (New Haven)

WR Anthony Norcia (Merrimack)

ATH/RB Josh Miller (undecided w offers on the table)

LB Jacob Miller (undecided w offers on the table)

That's three FBS, four FCS, one D2 and two TBD

On top of that, here's what they have for the 2019 class:

S Lewis Cine (just offered by Clemson ... you do the math)

WR/CB Mike Sainristil (Virginia Tech commit)

QB Jake Willcox (FCS offer w Elite 11 Regional invite)

TE/DT Jalen Smith (heavy FBS interest aka only a matter of time)

CB Robbie Riobe (only a matter of time)

OL Gilbert Kabamba (only a matter of time)

OL/DT Wilson Frederic (only a matter of time)

That's 16 kids from the 2017 team that will be either playing for free or close to it at the next level. That's every single positional unit on offense and defense, including 3/5 OL, five WR, and the entire secondary and LB corps.

You won't see many teams like that from around here. Great to see so many kids, a lot from very difficult backgrounds, get a chance to better themselves at the next level.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

More big news out of Everett.

Safety Lewis Cine, a 4-star kid with offers from Clemson, Ohio State, USC, Texas — basically everyone but Alabama so far — is transferring to Trinity Christian (Cedar Hill, Texas). I don't know why he's doing it. He has all the offers he needs by staying right in Everett. But, the Everett coach going to Catholic Memorial has a lot of these kids looking elsewhere.

Stay tuned, as there will be more kids who head to other schools, it seems like.

• Like 2

Hard to say which teams will fill out the best in the state at this point. I expect a good number of transfers. More than usual. Right now, here's a list (alphabetical) of teams that should be in it:

BC High: Will be huge up front like they are every year, and there are a few young skill players to be excited about.

Bridgewater-Raynham: Lost a ton but is always in the mix.

BB&N: Always plays a pretty physical brand of ball, and will be one of the best teams in the ISL again.

Catholic Memorial: The addition of Dibiaso as coach is huge, and expect some newcomers we don't know about yet.

Central Catholic: This is kind of a program pick. Loses a ton, though.

Doherty: Throwing this team in there as a wild card. Think this will be a Central Mass. contender.

Everett: The loss of Cine is big, but so long as they keep ATH Mike Sainristil and QB Jake Willcox, they're probably still the best team in the state. But a lot of questions around who's staying and going.

Governor's Academy: Maybe not the best in the ISL, but will be right up there.

King Philip: On a 25-game winning streak (I believe). One of the best-coached programs in New England.

Lawrence Academy: Either No. 1 or No. 2 in the state most likely. Has to replenish the lines, but you'll see transfers step in there probably.

Lincoln-Sudbury: Brings back entire OL and might be the D2 favorite.

Mansfield: Plays BC High and Everett back-to-back in the first two weeks. Yikes.

Milton Academy: My alma mater will contend in the ISL. Has a junior-to-be at OLB/RB who already is touted as one of the best in the country for his class. You will likely see some transfers step in, too.

North Andover: A nice nucleus of skill coming back. Will probably be runner up in D2 North to L-S.

North Attleboro: My hometown on a roll right now. As much of a favorite in D3 as anyone.

St. John's High (Shrewsbury): Losing the QB hurts. Won't be as good as this past season, but still a contender in D3.

St. John's Prep (Danvers): Huge OL and gets back Wes Rockett, their best, fastest skill kid at CB/WR.

Springfield Central: This is supposed to be the year where most of their younger players step up into bigger roles.

Tewksbury: A good solid program but lost a lot.

Xaverian: Brings back a lot on the OL, and a few skill kids, but lost some of their best speed guys.

If I had to do a top 5 at the moment, it would look something like this:

1. Everett

2. Lawrence Academy

3. Lincoln-Sudbury

4. Xaverian

5. Catholic Memorial

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Safety Lewis Cine, a 4-star kid with offers from Clemson, Ohio State, USC, Texas — basically everyone but Alabama so far — is transferring to Trinity Christian (Cedar Hill, Texas). I don't know why he's doing it. He has all the offers he needs by staying right in Everett. But, the Everett coach going to Catholic Memorial has a lot of these kids looking elsewhere.

Apparently he wants to work with Deion Sanders? I can understand the appeal.

DiBiaso's last Everett basketball team is 19-1 going into the playoffs, that would be quite a story if they finally won the state championship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Stay tuned, as there will be more kids who head to other schools, it seems like.

May be the end of an era for Everett, if more guys jump ship.

On 2/11/2018 at 1:52 AM, Adam Kurkjian said:

Figured I'd do a signing day update final count from Everett:

CB/WR Jason Maitre (will play CB at Boston College)

OL Helber Fagundes (UMass, very nice get because he had bigger offers on the table)

WR Isaiah Likely (Coastal Carolina)

RB/LB Kevin Brown (Rhode Island)

LB Duane Binns (Rhode Island)

WR/ATH David Zorilla (Bryant)

LB Jordan Riggs (New Haven)

WR Anthony Norcia (Merrimack)

ATH/RB Josh Miller (undecided w offers on the table)

LB Jacob Miller (undecided w offers on the table)

That's three FBS, four FCS, one D2 and two TBD

On top of that, here's what they have for the 2019 class:

S Lewis Cine (just offered by Clemson ... you do the math)

WR/CB Mike Sainristil (Virginia Tech commit)

QB Jake Willcox (FCS offer w Elite 11 Regional invite)

TE/DT Jalen Smith (heavy FBS interest aka only a matter of time)

CB Robbie Riobe (only a matter of time)

OL Gilbert Kabamba (only a matter of time)

OL/DT Wilson Frederic (only a matter of time)

That's 16 kids from the 2017 team that will be either playing for free or close to it at the next level. That's every single positional unit on offense and defense, including 3/5 OL, five WR, and the entire secondary and LB corps.

You won't see many teams like that from around here. Great to see so many kids, a lot from very difficult backgrounds, get a chance to better themselves at the next level.

Not just there.... One would be hard pressed with maybe a few exceptions to, find a team like that in most areas.... Pretty nice group.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Horsefly said:

One of our TX privates got a big time Mass transfer, Lewis Cine.  From the feeds, folks seem impressed with him.

he transferred to the school where Deion Sanders is the OC, so this seems like a good fit.

Yes, big news, because he's one of the most highly-rated kids to come out of here in recent years. I mean, the fact that he's got offers from Georgia and Clemson and whatnot is insane. He's a safety. He blew up when he went to a University of Florida camp and ran a 4.41. The coaches there couldn't believe it and asked him to run again and he posted a 4.40. Kid loves to hit. Will have to refine his football IQ to become a complete player, but he has the physical tools and makeup to be great. He also can add a lot of weight without losing speed. His best days are absolutely ahead of him.

1 hour ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Yes, big news, because he's one of the most highly-rated kids to come out of here in recent years. I mean, the fact that he's got offers from Georgia and Clemson and whatnot is insane. He's a safety. He blew up when he went to a University of Florida camp and ran a 4.41. The coaches there couldn't believe it and asked him to run again and he posted a 4.40. Kid loves to hit. Will have to refine his football IQ to become a complete player, but he has the physical tools and makeup to be great. He also can add a lot of weight without losing speed. His best days are absolutely ahead of him.

Sorry about posting his transfer after you already did.  I didn't read close enough. 

Everett's roster looks impressive, will be following them this season. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Whatever happened to Deoins charter school?

That folded years ago, they were having problems on the academic end and meeting state standards.

a charter school is not the easiest thing to run, they fall under the TX Education Agency, like all publics,  and the state testing requirements that go along with it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Sorry about posting his transfer after you already did.  I didn't read close enough. 

Everett's roster looks impressive, will be following them this season. 

Their roster was good this past season. With all the guys they lost, plus Cine gone, it will be a step down. Still very talented, though. There are rumors of some more of these guys transferring out. We will see how it all shakes out, but some of that talent could be elsewhere in the fall.

Longer article from the Herald about the new Everett coach. He has the right endorsements:

Several of the current Everett football players were on hand to lend to support to Pierre, described by many as one of the most popular teachers in the school. Many stayed around after the press conference to pose for pictures with Pierre.

“He’s a great guy, a good football coach,” said senior defensive back Jason Maitre. “He’s hard-nosed, he’s going to get the players to work. I think he’s going to do great there.”

DiBiaso has never been shy in praise in Pierre, whether it was a player or assistant on his staff. He feels the school made a home run hire in Pierre.

“The school made a wonderful decision,” said DiBiaso, who won his 500th basketball game Thursday night, making him the only coach in state history with 300 football and 500 basketball wins. “He is a great role model for the kids in this community. He played here, went to play college football at a high level and came back here to raise his family. It’s just a perfect fit.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/high_school/2018/03/high_school_football_everett_crimson_tide_turn_to_theluxon_pierre_as_new

• Thanks 1

A little basketball news.

Mansfield beat Everett at the Garden and Franklin beat Springfield Central, so the Division 1 state final will be between two Hockomock League teams. Franklin was placed in the central sectional a few years ago despite sharing the same league as all EMass teams. Pretty remarkable accomplishment for the Kelley-Rex division of the Hockomock League, a six-team division in a 12-team league.

To add on to that, King Philip won the Division 2 Super Bowl in football and North Attleboro lost in the D3 state final to St. John's (S). So a pretty incredible year for the Hock so far.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few things here and there...

Kalel Mullings, a RB/OLB from my alma mater of Milton Academy in the 2020 class, just picked up offers from Clemson and UNC. So keep an eye on him.

Some interesting video I found on YouTube from the 2003 season. Someone from Bishop Feehan in Attleboro filmed some of their scrimmages and games. The scrimmage he posted was against Don Bosco Prep. I was actually at this scrimmage back then. The video only shows a few portions and leaves a lot out, but you can see it here:

The best video from that bunch though is the Bishop Feehan-North Attleboro game from that year. Exciting finish and fun atmosphere. I was at that game, too.

• Like 1

Quick update on Everett. A local D2 school just offered five Class of 2019 kids: Two OL, a TE/DT, and two DBs. I expect at least two of those guys to pick up 1a offers before all is said and done.

Fate of this team will be decided by whether or not any transfer rumors for some players come to fruition, though. A lot more transfer stuff floating around this offseason than normal.

16 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Bentley? AIC? 

Franklin Pierce. Maybe pushing it a little with the 'local,' since Franklin Pierce is New Hampshire.

I think their schedule is mostly filled up, too. Two Mass. teams stepped up from what I've been told: Mansfield and Lawrence High (not Lawrence Academy, which would have been big news).

Mansfield's first two games are going to be pretty big around here: BC High Week 1 followed by Everett. Mansfield will be good this year, returns a ton, but both will be challenges.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

More proof of how good Brian Toal (#1) was in high school. Way cool to see current Coach Teel at QB too!!! @prep82 @DBP66 @taojoe @JerseyMan128 @dbcaptiron @Drummer61

Yeah, this video only has portions of what happened. Toal had a few more big runs. There were also a handful of bombs Teel dropped in to receivers like Michael Ray Garvin (I believe that's who it was). It would not have been a close game, but the Feehan QB actually had some success. Feehan threw the ball pretty well under that coach.