Official game day drink thread

Coletrain06

3 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Haha 88’! Shit the party balls were like what $35 bucks? A poor mans mini keg! The problem with kegs was never the keg (I had 2, I “borrowed” from a local distributor). It was always the damn tap. Those were like 85-100 bucks with a deposit. Every party they’d get stolen so you had the guys who were the tap monitors, usually the corn feed beefier dudes 😂!

The “Tap Monitors”....🤣🤣🤣.... This is bringing back memories I forgot I even had!!!... I need to call my High School Buddies this weekend and have a good laugh!!!...🤣🤣🤣...

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

The “Tap Monitors”....🤣🤣🤣.... This is bringing back memories I forgot I even had!!!... I need to call my High School Buddies this weekend and have a good laugh!!!...🤣🤣🤣...

Funny they were called the “tap monitors” in Norcal as well. 😂😂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

I haven't heard you guys mention the Beast yet? Milwaukee's Best was around $4/5 a case back in the late 80s/early 90s. That was always my cheap go to back in those days. 

I remember “Old Milwaukee”, “Ham’s”, ”Lowenbrau”, But I don’t  remember Milwaukee’s best out here on the west coast... But I don’t remember everything of course!...🤣🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

I remember “Old Milwaukee”, “Ham’s”, ”Lowenbrau”, But I don’t  remember Milwaukee’s best out here on the west coast... But I don’t remember everything of course!...🤣🤣

It very well could've been an eastern U.S. thing. I had never heard of Ham's until I moved to Nebraska in the mid 90s.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Omaha Vol said:

It very well could've been an eastern U.S. thing. I had never heard of Ham's until I moved to Nebraska in the mid 90s.  

7 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

Gotta say it’s not ringing a bell either for me with the Milwaukee Best. Maybe it was more Midwest/regional. My parents used to drink Lowenbrau so by default so did I when I had no $$ in high school 😁. Always loved their commercials. I mean who could forgot the great Robert Pine aka: Sgt. Getrear getting a steak and a Lowenrau and the smooth Arthur Prysock belting out the tune 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Exocet 98 said:

2nd half , Go Warriors !! 

61905390_10220108701696586_3871630953956769792_n.jpg

Ouch, I know it is loved by many, but I have a hard time with Tennessee, Rye, Bourbon and  Scotch whisky’s. I’ll do Jameson  and Irish whiskey all day, don’t know why I have a hard time with those others.

• Like 1

Speaking of Mickey’s my all time hangover story comes from this fine piss malt liquor. Sorry it’s way too long winded so bear with it if you want or don’t read.

As I said earlier right after HS (1988) I got on a Mickey’s kick. 6 pack pack big mouths would do it and always feel like crap the next day. Got off that kick after a year or so as it’s ass!

Fast forward April 1996. I was 26 a few years removed from college and had applied for a job in Los Angeles. I passed the initial test in the Bay Area and went down to LA for a follow up interview and if I did well further testing would take about a week and I needed to stay down there for up to that time if needed.

I am not a big stay with family guy. But it seemed we did it a little bit when I was young and went to SoCal, since my mom was originally from SoCal. She suggested I go stay with her cousin who was in his 60’s retired and lived in Woodland Hills. Went there a ton of times when I was much younger (70’s-early 80’s) and liked my moms cousin and always had a great time so said sure. All his kids(6) were older than me (graduated HS late 60’ early 80’s) and none at home. I always liked them especially my moms cousin Kurt who is about 10 years older than me.

Drove down on a Wednesday. Had interview on Thursday. Friday afternoon got call that I had done well, but  not well enough to go on further so I was done.Debated just driving back home up to Norcal. Figured Fuck it down here I’ll make the best of if and do some shit down here.

Saturday afternoon my moms cousin and Kurt come home from golfing. I’d just been hanging in their pool. Kurt and I have always gotten along great despite the age difference. He says hey come down to my house tonight in Manhattan Beach and stay with me we’ll go have fun. Said sure. I grabbed a pair of short, socks t-shirt and chonies. I followed him over Topanga Canyon over to PCH to his house. 

At the time my younger brother had a buddy who had gotten a ride to SC for baseball and was tearing it up for the Trojans and was a stud. I knew his buddy pretty well and looked and saw Stanford was in town at SC on Sunday. I’ll catch the game and watch my Bros buddy play (hate SC, but love baseball and would stop to watch kids playing T-ball).

I tell Kurt and ask him if he wants to go. He and his wife have a previous engagement early Sunday morning, but he says just lock up when you leave. He even calls his buddy to get me the best directions since he’s a Valley and South Bay guy and never spent much time around SC.

We go out to dinner, have some cocktails then go back to his place. Didn’t realize he was a Mickey’s fan, but yep and he’s got like 2 cases. We end up drinking like 12 each until about 3am. I pass out on his couch.

Wake up about 9am as I’m still in my shorts and undies and catch myself just starting to piss myself. Pop up and run to bathroom so I don’t piss on his couch. Succeed, but piss my shorts and chonies as I get into the bathroom. I fell like ass and throw up. Kurt and his wife were gone so they had no idea. Jump In shower, feel like absolute shit, but figure I’ll still go to the game.

I lock up his house (no key just interior twist lock on front door and head to SC) so no turning back?

Follow his buddies directions and get on the Santa Monica Fwy (The 10). Don’t make it far before I pull off to shoulder to barf. Keep going and follow cousins friends shitty directions. This somehow lands me on S. Normandie. This is pre-cell phone /google maps. It now like 11 am in South Central LA and I’m not feeling great for several reasons. I’m a 26 year old cracker driving my white 88’ Vanilla Ice 5.0 mustang. But it’s pretty low key and not a ton of people out. Get to red light at one intersection and open door and puke. After driving around lost in South Central find some signs which lead me to SC.

Get in line at Deaduax Field and stomach begins to percolate. But this now ain’t coming out of my mouth. Buy my ticket at booth and bolt (more like penguin walk). If your a Seinfeld fan you might remember the Fire episode where George pushes away clowns, a elderly lady and kids to get out of the way, yep that was me through the crowd. Get to men’s restroom and big fucking line. Slowly get inside and think they had maybe 2 stalls which are occupado. I got sweat dripping and  guy in front of me sees my dilema and offers to give me the next urinal which is now open. I say something to the effect of “that ain’t gonna help me.” Finally a stall opens,  shorts are down, but chonies don’t quite make it and catch some shrapnel and are KIA. Fuck it that’s my endowment to SC and left them on the floor in the stall.

Go in to watch game going commando and it’s still like an hour before first pitch. Go down and see my brothers buddy and he’s like, “you smell like a fucking brewery” as he’s cracking up. Yep felt like one too. Just about every other inning I went to the can to dry heave or piss out of my ass. My dilema was this was now my “safe space”. If I left and things went sideways do I really want to stop at a Jack in the Box or Arco somewhere in South Central LA where I really have zero idea where I’m at and way out of my element. I remember Chad Hutchinson was a freshman and threw for Stanford. Cant remember who won as I really didn’t enjoy the game 😂. Game ended maybe 3:30-4:00 and I just stayed in the bleachers as my stomach still felt unsettled and for some damn reason they weren’t selling Pepto Bismal at the concession stand? Only popcorn, hotdogs etc, not Fucking Pepto bismal  H! WTF SC?

Grounds crew cleaned the field and stadium guys cleared the stands, place is empty. It’s about an after the game ended and I was the lone wolf sitting in the bleachers. Stadium guys were trying to make it pretty obvious it was time to go (I can later equate it to the scene in “Miracle” when Kurt Russell/ Herb Brooks puts them on the line and finally the arena guy shuts off the lights as a not so subtle “get the fuck out” hint 😂).

So I left found my way to the 405 and headed north to the Valley. Briefly thought if things went real bad I had cousins in Hollywood, but they were older and WTF would I say, “hey nice seeing you, got any clean drawers and maybe some pants I can borrow...😂😂😂” Also had grabbed a bunch of paper towels from men’s room at SC and threw them on my car seat just in case. Drove on the 405 fully prepared to pull over to stop and toss out dirty shorts and throw on “clean” piss shorts from way earlier in the morning. Miraculously traffic wasn’t bad and when I saw the Desoto Ave. exit off 101 I felt pretty good. Got back to the house, Kurt’s dad asked me if I wanted dinner. Said nope, “ate at game and I’m really tired, just gonna shower and go to bed” (prob 6:30). Went to bed slept til way later Monday morning. Woke up felt great. I’m not a tattoo/ink guy but one of the few times I almost did it. I seriously thought about going over to Ventura Blvd finding a ink shop and getting at Tat of a Mickey’s bottle with the cap pushed off on one side and some brown mud flowing out or a turd popping his head out of the mouth 😂😂😂. Fucked up, yeah but man so was that day. Did not follow up on that thought thankfully.

Sorry this was way to long. A couple of my buddies still keel over and tear up in laughter when they have me tell someone new the “Mickey’s LA hangover story.” Again apologize for the long winded post, but this was by far my worst hangover day. Wish it was fiction, but sure as hell wasn’t. Feel free to add a bad experience so again I’m not a lone wolf 😂😂😂😂.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Who in the world is Mr. Krunkles and where in the world is he?

20190614_190431.thumb.jpg.e21fa5901d35121983d856a3837cf24e.jpg

My local dive bar has some sort of arrangement with Terrapin... they mostly only have the light domestics on tap (bud light, Miller, Budweiser, Yuengling etc.) We've been trying to convince the owner to put one good craft beer on tap. She said she did a tasting and decided to go with the Terrapin Blonde......its good, but I was hoping for an IPA or something with more flavor than the light domestics. Although she did say there is some kind of Terrapin IPA in cans. I'll have to check that out next time I'm up there.

Also, Terrapin has an awesome light up neon sign.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Don’t know who the hell he is? But Mr. Krunkles would be down my throat and in my stomach on a test drive!

8 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

My local dive bar has some sort of arrangement with Terrapin... they mostly only have the light domestics on tap (bud light, Miller, Budweiser, Yuengling etc.) We've been trying to convince the owner to put one good craft beer on tap. She said she did a tasting and decided to go with the Terrapin Blonde......its good, but I was hoping for an IPA or something with more flavor than the light domestics. Although she did say there is some kind of Terrapin IPA in cans. I'll have to check that out next time I'm up there.

Also, Terrapin has an awesome light up neon sign.

Not a huge fan of Mr. Krunkles or Panama Krunkles. Too malty or something for me. There is a super heavy malt/yeast flavor up front that kills the hop finish for me. Idk. The Mr. Krunkles is like the twin brother of Omaha Brewing Company's Hannahatchee Creek IPA. Dead ringers of each other.

The Luau on the other hand is excellent. 

I'm just not a fan of that heavy malt up front. It kills my taste buds for all the other flavors.I guess I like a brighter beer. I don't mind hazy IPAs, just not malt strong.

Speaking about Terrapin... they have an Atlanta Braves version/twist on their Hopsecutioner called the Chopsecutioner, aged in wood chips from the same wood that baseball bats are made from. Not too bad.

• Like 3

On 6/17/2019 at 9:16 AM, HawgGoneIt said:

Not a huge fan of Mr. Krunkles or Panama Krunkles. Too malty or something for me. There is a super heavy malt/yeast flavor up front that kills the hop finish for me. Idk. The Mr. Krunkles is like the twin brother of Omaha Brewing Company's Hannahatchee Creek IPA. Dead ringers of each other.

The Luau on the other hand is excellent. 

I'm just not a fan of that heavy malt up front. It kills my taste buds for all the other flavors.I guess I like a brighter beer. I don't mind hazy IPAs, just not malt strong.

Speaking about Terrapin... they have an Atlanta Braves version/twist on their Hopsecutioner called the Chopsecutioner, aged in wood chips from the same wood that baseball bats are made from. Not too bad.

Just had the Terrapin Luau at the bar. Not bad. Enjoyed 2 of them

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Coletrain06 said:

Just had the Terrapin Luau at the bar. Not bad. Enjoyed 2 of them

It has a little of that malty flavor up front but the passion fruit, orange and hops manage to come through.

The Panama Krunkles has pineapple in it but it's lost in that malty front for me. 

I bought a 20 dollar 4 pack of Evil Twin Brewing's Raceday offering as a favor to the girls where I get some of my crafts from. Some guy had them order a case then he moved and never bought any. I figured if I like it, I'll eventually buy the case up over time, but... Aloe salt and sour sour. I mangaged to knock back half a pint before my throat shut 'er down on me. Poured the other half pint down the sink. Trying to decide what to do with the remaining three. 

5 dollar beers. 

Hard to just throw them out. Maybe I'll try again another time. I have noticed that some things don't click right away, but, at the right time or whatever, something clicks and I suddenly like or appreciate it. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It has a little of that malty flavor up front but the passion fruit, orange and hops manage to come through.

The Panama Krunkles has pineapple in it but it's lost in that malty front for me. 

I bought a 20 dollar 4 pack of Evil Twin Brewing's Raceday offering as a favor to the girls where I get some of my crafts from. Some guy had them order a case then he moved and never bought any. I figured if I like it, I'll eventually buy the case up over time, but... Aloe salt and sour sour. I mangaged to knock back half a pint before my throat shut 'er down on me. Poured the other half pint down the sink. Trying to decide what to do with the remaining three. 

5 dollar beers. 

Hard to just throw them out. Maybe I'll try again another time. I have noticed that some things don't click right away, but, at the right time or whatever, something clicks and I suddenly like or appreciate it. 

Agreed. I used to not like wheat beers or sours. Now I  like em both,  and even crave a good sour every now and then

• Like 2