RIP to the last great knuckleballer Tim Wakefield

Ga96

6 minutes ago, Ga96 said:

Damn so young, he was so frustrating to watch , he threw the ball so slow but so much movement at games he was unhittable, damn 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, golfaddict1 said:

😞

…heard on social media Schilling made a private matter public.  Another athlete (forgot) mentioned it and apologized after posting after reading Schilling’s mention, assuming it was public info.  

Not surprised by anything schilling does and as you can see in the article tim amd his family wanted things to be kept private. For him to do that's just shows who he is.

32 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Movement with no spin.  Just sick.  Catcher’s nightmare too.  

On a related note. I saw Wakefield play many times, for the greatest single A minor league team in HISTORY, the '88-'89 Augusta, Ga., Pirates. Numerous future major league stars were on it's roster. And Wakefield was a THIRD BASEMAN at that point in his career. And through a quirk of fate, they never won ANYTHING with regards to a league championship. They led the first half by ten games at the break. And after the second half had started, after all their studs were sent up, they did nothing. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Middlegafan said:

On a related note. I saw Wakefield play many times, for the greatest single A minor league team in HISTORY, the Augusta, Ga., Pirates. At least four future major league stars were on it's roster. And Wakefield was playing THIRD BASE at that time. And through a quirk of fate, they never won ANYTHING with regards to a league championship. They led the first half by ten games at the break. And after the second half had started, after all their studs were sent up, they did nothing. 

Nice read 👍🏻  and had a good smile about 3B.  

Dad took me to Giants games at Shea Stadium the year prior to the Meadowlands opening.  

Seeing the Mets baseball diamond sharing field time with the Jets and Giants for a few months, I still remember as a kid thinking how long a throw that was and especially from a kid’s pov.  

2 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Nice read 👍🏻  and had a good smile about 3B.  

Dad took me to Giants games at Shea Stadium the year prior to the Meadowlands opening.  

Seeing the Mets baseball diamond sharing field time with the Jets for a few months, I still remember as a kid thinking how long a throw that was and especially from a kid’s pov.  

THANK YOU kind sir.

As an aside, being that I'm pretty long in the tooth, I've SEEN things. Picture if you will, a coupla twelve year old kids going to watch practice at their local minor league park. And low and behold, upon arriving early as usual. A couple of the local players offered to play a lil stick ball with us prior to practice for his Moultrie Colt 22's. The minor leagues for the Houston Colt 45's.(The Houston Astros today) And one of those players was Joe Morgan.😉 And an outfielder for one of the opposing teams in our league was Mario Cuomo.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Middlegafan said:

THANK YOU kind sir.

As an aside, being that I'm pretty long in the tooth, I've SEEN things. Picture if you will, a coupla twelve year old kids going to watch practice at their local minor league park. And lo and behold, upon arriving early as usual. A couple of the local players offered to play a lil stick ball with us prior to practice for his Moultrie Colt 22's. The minor leagues for the Houston Colt 45's.(The Houston Astros today) And one of those players was Joe Morgan.😉 And an outfielder for one of the opposing teams in our league was Mario Cuomo.

Sweeeet.  What a treat.  Joe Morgan was such a good announcer also.  Wonder if Rusty Staub or Jimmy Wynn were around at that time?  Gunna need to google that.  I might have whiffed 2x 😂 

Had no idea about Cuomo.  👍🏻

Just now, golfaddict1 said:

Sweeeet.  What a treat.  Joe Morgan was such a good announcer also.  Wonder if Rusty Staub or Jimmy Wynn were around at that time?  Gunna need to google that.  I might have whiffed 2x 😂 

Had no idea about Cuomo.  👍🏻

ABSOLUTELY. The Houston Colt 45's were SOUTH GEORGIA'S team, prior to the Braves moving down from Milwaukee. There were precious few games back then on radio, that we could get. And I use to listen to MY 45's on CLEAR CHANNEL, WWL radio in NAWLINS. Since there aren't any obstacles tween there and Moultrie. It was like listening to a team down the street. I use to keep a scorebook. And I could tell you everything you wanted to know about Rusty Staub, Bob Aspromonte, and the toy cannon, Jimmy Wynn. My 45's REALLY STUNK, but I loved every one of um. I even bought a 45's cap at the sporting goods store in Cooperstown.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Middlegafan said:

ABSOLUTELY. The Houston Colt 45's were SOUTH GEORGIA'S team, prior to the Braves moving down from Milwaukee. There were precious few games back then on radio, that we could get. And I use to listen to MY 45's on CLEAR CHANNEL, WWL radio in NAWLINS. Since there aren't any obstacles tween there and Moultrie. It was like listening to a team down the street. I use to keep a scorebook. And I could tell you everything you wanted to know about Rusty Staub, Bob Aspromonte, and the toy cannon, Jimmy Wynn. My 45's REALLY STUNK, but I loved every one of um. I even bought a 45's cap at the sporting goods store in Cooperstown.

👍🏻

The toy cannon and le grande 🍊:)   Both minors in other states.  Close but no cigar.  
For sure big league teammates.  

Keeping scorebook at that age huh.  You know your sports sir.  You were taught well I’m sure.  

I enjoy the schtick, but peeling the onion, you can’t fool me.  I think the GA guys know this already.   I can assume you can do the same for multiple sports memories.  Hs college pro.  The old Atlanta Flames.  :)  

1 minute ago, golfaddict1 said:

👍🏻

The toy cannon and le grande 🍊:)   Both minors in other states.  Close but no cigar.  
For sure big league teammates.  

Keeping scorebook at that age huh.  You know your sports sir.  You were taught well I’m sure.  

I enjoy the schtick, but peeling the onion, you can’t fool me.  I think the GA guys know this already.   I can assume you can go the same for multiple sports memories.  Hs college pro.  The old Atlanta Flames.  :)  

I possibly mislead you. I meant that they played for the HOUSTON team. 

Well, according to my dear ole DAD, I only played two seasons of college ball, because they didn't have anybody else that wanted to play. And the irony of it all was, that my high school's Coach Ace Little, told me he couldn't make a spot for me, because I was a senior by the time I was finally able to play for the Packers. OOOOPSEEE!!! Their losses!!!

7 minutes ago, Middlegafan said:

I possibly mislead you. I meant that they played for the HOUSTON team. 

Well, according to my dear ole DAD, I only played two seasons of college ball, because they didn't have anybody else that wanted to play. And the irony of it all was, that my high school's Coach Ace Little, told me he couldn't make a spot for me, because I was a senior by the time I was finally able to play for the Packers. OOOOPSEEE!!! Their losses!!!

College ball is no joke.  ️ or 🏈?  Not familiar with the coach name. 

I was re: to your local knowledge of hs college and pro must be as solid as your baseball knowledge in most or all sports, like Atl Flames, Nique and Spudd, Tree Rollins etc.  

Just now, golfaddict1 said:

College ball is no joke.  ️ or 🏈?  Not familiar with the coach name. 

I was re: to your local knowledge of hs college and pro must be as solid as your baseball knowledge in most or all sports, like Atl Flames, Nique and Spudd, Tree Rollins etc.  

TRUE. Did you know that Tree played his high school ball at Crisp Co., Ga? And as I recall, won NO state titles.

1 hour ago, Middlegafan said:

TRUE. Did you know that Tree played his high school ball at Crisp Co., Ga? And as I recall, won NO state titles.

Did not know.  I didn’t follow HS bb much back in the day.  I relied on the McDonald’s game.  Forgot what year it was, but there was a cool doc movie on HS bb in Chicago.  Was well done following some players and was popular at the time.  I also dug the white shadow.  Ken Reaves.  😂 

6 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Movement with no spin.  Just sick.  Catcher’s nightmare too.  

In game 5 of the 2004 ALCS, Varitek had to catch him.  He hated catching him, he could not handle the knuckler.  It was in extra innings, the Sox were down 3 games to 1.  There were THREE passed balls in the inning, but somehow the Yankees failed to score.  I blacked out somewhere in the middle of that inning.  The Sox survived that night and the rest is history.

• Like 1

Sad news. Florida native through and through. I didn’t even watch baseball. Still don’t. But I remember his name always popping up when they would talk about the Red Sox back in the early 2000’s. I lived next to a ton of Boston fans. Whenever you hear of someone passing it puts things in perspective. My wife’s father passed away a few weeks ago and he was very young. Hug your family and tell them you love them. If you have any family you don’t talk to anymore try and reach out. You don’t want to wait till they pass away to regret it. 

He was a good guy...  went to Eau Gallie High School.

Melbourne

Born to Steve and Judy Wakefield, Tim spent his formative years in Melbourne. Growing up in this Floridian town, he showcased his passion for baseball early on, playing for Eau Gallie High School. Melbourne wasn't just a birthplace for him; it was where his dreams began to take flight.
  • Like 1