Tom Herman: Shocked concerning Florida HS Coaches

DevilDog

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2023/10/11/faus-tom-herman-wants-higher-pay-for-florida-high-school-football-coaches/71133139007/

"In my 10 months here, I've been absolutely flabbergasted at the treatment of those coaches," Herman told The Palm Beach Post. "We have to do something to keep our good coaches in this state from running to Georgia, to Alabama, to Texas to get paid what most believe is a fair wage."

According to a 2021 analysis by the USA Today Florida Network, the average supplement for a first-year head football coach in Florida was approximately $4,650 for the 2020-21 school year. In Palm Beach County, the supplement for a head football coach is $4,500 and the average tenure is just more than two years.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Florida folks get and deserve what they vote for. Its across all sports. I hear florida baseball coaches complain all the time when they play games at lowndes. That's why the ones who can end up moving to georgia. Heck matt debuc is the hc act cardinal gibbons and he doesn't hide the fact he wants to leave and coach at a top south Ga school.

Lowndes Valdosta and Colquitt all chose not to hire him. I definitely put him in from my little position as a booster and alumni but that didn't amount to nothing. The good ole boys got the coach they wanted in adam cater and now they've got the results they wanted. 

26 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Yeah I can see how that could be a problem for HC pay. 

Yea, it’s a real shame.  

It’s for sure a factor in FL’s large number of football transfers annually.  The HC moving van is very active and is/or was spotlighted by Josh on his FL HSFB site.  I recall over 100 HC moves annually (sacked or own choice).

Infrastructure/coaching/facilities/Tutoring assistance/more school visits in spring/etc.  Hard to argue with parents/son decisions.  

*Your grandfather gave you your nickname?  I can’t remember for sure.  
My wife’s nickname is Biedronka, which rhymes with her first name and means ladybug in Polish.  Popular store nowadays. 🇵🇱 

IMG_6491.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Yea, it’s a real shame.  

It’s for sure a factor in FL’s large number of football transfers annually.  The HC moving van is very active and is/or was spotlighted by Josh on his FL HSFB site.  I recall over 100 HC moves annually (sacked or own choice).

Infrastructure/coaching/facilities/Tutoring assistance/more school visits in spring/etc.  Hard to argue with parents/son decisions.  

*Your grandfather gave you your nickname?  I can’t remember for sure.  
My wife’s nickname is Biedronka, which rhymes with her first name and means ladybug in Polish.  Popular store nowadays. 🇵🇱 

IMG_6491.jpeg

Yes, he sure did. He loved baseball and when I was small (about 5 or 6)  we’d play catch and he’d call me horsefly. Lol

why did they call your wife Biedronka , for the rhyme or is there another reason? 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Yes, he sure did. He loved baseball and when I was small (about 5 or 6)  we’d play catch and he’d call me horsefly. Lol

:)  fond memories I’m sure 

When I was similar age 4-5, my grandmother’s 2nd husband (widow) sang to me a song about a rabbit.

why did they call your wife Biedronka , for the rhyme or is there another reason? 

Just the rhyme, but she didn’t mind a bracelet filled with them. :) 

16 hours ago, DevilDog said:

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2023/10/11/faus-tom-herman-wants-higher-pay-for-florida-high-school-football-coaches/71133139007/

"In my 10 months here, I've been absolutely flabbergasted at the treatment of those coaches," Herman told The Palm Beach Post. "We have to do something to keep our good coaches in this state from running to Georgia, to Alabama, to Texas to get paid what most believe is a fair wage."

According to a 2021 analysis by the USA Today Florida Network, the average supplement for a first-year head football coach in Florida was approximately $4,650 for the 2020-21 school year. In Palm Beach County, the supplement for a head football coach is $4,500 and the average tenure is just more than two years.

I know how they can easily raise enough money to pay these more than deserving coaches.  They should mos def be paid way more than other places like ga and nj.  Much better coaching and way better talent too.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Even someone as deluded as you can't believe something so egregiously stupid and contrived.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Don’t take it up with me. Take it up with usnews.com.

I did take it up usnews.com and for facts sake Florida was #14 in K-12 education (NJ #1). I’m pointing this out because the discussion was about moving from high school to high school. Next time read the whole article instead of just the heading.

43 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

I’ll have a look later at this article. 

First step:  

Is the source serious or a 🤡 propaganda wee wee pad?  
(See Hamas thread, other side). 

This source is legit and worth having a look at, if interested.  

IMG_6525.jpeg

IMG_6524.jpeg

That’s the first thing I take in consideration, source (both publication source and poster). Nole just misrepresented the facts in the article (not purposely but out of ignorance, which is even worse) or the context wasn’t represented correctly.  That why I don’t even go to the other side, it’s a shit show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atticus Finch said:

Understood.

But you still don't have to gobble it up so uncritically. 

Tuition cost:  less, thus debt less

43.2% population approx college educated 

Lot of transplants in FL (like me) who were college educated elsewhere.  Lot of retirees with college education that moved to FL. 

The attached remainder is a sad look at the U.S. educational system (graduation rate HS) and not exactly a wow factor for FL.

My review has been done without coffee, but imo not exactly stellar criteria for a #1 ranking in education. 

IMG_6535.jpeg