Does DLS have any chance?

PrepGridiron

10 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

As the week goes on, I have to believe there will be more writeups, but for the moment there is a derth of articles for this game. So, I wanted to give it to the group. Does DLS have a shot? FYI, Sat weather in Sac is partly cloudy with highs in the low 60s and lows in the 40s. 

Anything can happen but I'm pulling for mater Dei so they will be voted national champs and not img

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm working off intangibles here hoping that De La Salle can bring out their inner Canyon (CA). I'm looking at Mater Dei Football's Twitter and they've got a post that says "Finished Business". Hoping MD has thought SJB was their championship and DLS is just icing on the cake. Also relying on the chance that this DLS senior class doesn't want to be the first Jr/Sr class that doesn't have a state title since the bowl series started. Still got to play it out on the field and on paper MD should roll.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PrepGridiron said:

I'm working off intangibles here hoping that De La Salle can bring out their inner Canyon (CA). I'm looking at Mater Dei Football's Twitter and they've got a post that says "Finished Business". Hoping MD has thought SJB was their championship and DLS is just icing on the cake. Also relying on the chance that this DLS senior class doesn't want to be the first Jr/Sr class that doesn't have a state title since the bowl series started. Still got to play it out on the field and on paper MD should roll.

Yeah, it seems like no one expects DLS to have a shot. I think that's a good weapon to have on your side. If I'm the coach, that's what I'm selling them too. Mater Dei is all blown up with big heads, and thinking you Spartans aren't shit. Well, we are Spartans and we'll show them that we are to be reckoned with!

If I'm you guys, I hope that Mater Dei is thinking that way for real too. It seems like they easily could be if they've been reading any of their own clippings. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

yeah...there have been lots of talk of the 0-4 MDvsDLS record...if it was any other team i could see Rollo and the team sleeping on this game...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

As the week goes on, I have to believe there will be more writeups, but for the moment there is a derth of articles for this game. So, I wanted to give it to the group. Does DLS have a shot? FYI, Sat weather in Sac is partly cloudy with highs in the low 60s and lows in the 40s. 

I rewatched the first half of the BG game recently.

Without going into detail, it confirmed for me what many of us already thought about DLS, namely, that they're pretty good at stopping the run, that their secondary is vulnerable, and that their offense is one-dimensional, even more so this year than in past years. 

DLS put BG into many 3rd-and-long situations because DLS was stuffing the run. But almost every time, BG would burn DLS downfield or else their QB would scramble for a first down. 

DLS was moving the ball well until K Robinson got hurt. DLS's other backs don't have the same ability to make guys miss or to get extra yards after contact. And DLS's offensive line isn't nearly good enough to guarantee that that there others backs will get positive yards. And their passing game isn't good enough to prevent MD from stacking the box. 

With Robinson out, even 2010 Bowl Game conditions won't save DLS, although it would help, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Sshhh

DLS has zero chance 😉 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Yeah, it seems like no one expects DLS to have a shot. I think that's a good weapon to have on your side. If I'm the coach, that's what I'm selling them too. Mater Dei is all blown up with big heads, and thinking you Spartans aren't shit. Well, we are Spartans and we'll show them that we are to be reckoned with!

If I'm you guys, I hope that Mater Dei is thinking that way for real too. It seems like they easily could be if they've been reading any of their own clippings. 

I'm not sure that this team has the same pride as past DLS teams. 

The HC commented after the BG game that he was disappointed with how the kids responded to Robinson's leaving the game.

if they don't have it now, I hope they find it before the big game. Last year's Bowl Game was a blowout, but it was beautiful to watch, bc the Spartans fought like hell the whole time. I hope this team does the same. 

17 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Sorry — meant my Jim Carey dealie to be a response to this

this is certainly the clearest path for hope and optimism, but it’s Long odds 

herb brooks famous pre-game speech before the 1980 upset of the USSR hockey team allegedly included:

”if you played 10 times, they might win nine, BUT NOT TONIGHT!! — Tonight is our night”

DLS coaches might have to amend to start it:

”If you played 100 times, they might win 99...”

then again, that might have the opposite effect 

• Like 1

Psssst.  Word has it is that Robinson, Garrett, and Freeman all "are likely to play". 

That said, DLS still has no chance. Sparty may score a few points, but Daniels and Co are going to score 60 or more if they have to. There's just too much talent at qb position and WR for MD (among other position). I expect the secondary for DLS to. have a really long night.This will be like SJB/DLS '13....but DLS '17 isn't nearly as good. Not s good combo.

5 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

Psssst.  Word has it is that Robinson, Garrett, and Freeman all "are likely to play". 

That said, DLS still has no chance. Sparty may score a few points, but Daniels and Co are going to score 60 or more if they have to. There's just too much talent at qb position and WR for MD (among other position). I expect the secondary for DLS to. have a really long night.This will be like SJB/DLS '13....but DLS '17 isn't nearly as good. Not s good combo.

Yeah, if Central's passing game is good enough to put 30 on DLS, then MD's is good enough to put 60 on the Spartans. 

I think I'm gonna need a lot of booze to get through this one. 

It somehow helps that it's Rollo and MD though. 

14 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I'm not sure that this team has the same pride as past DLS teams. 

The HC commented after the BG game that he was disappointed with how the kids responded to Robinson's leaving the game.

if they don't have it now, I hope they find it before the big game. Last year's Bowl Game was a blowout, but it was beautiful to watch, bc the Spartans fought like hell the whole time. I hope this team does the same. 

Interesting that you say that. I've thought the same thing. It's not that school or coaches are different. I think it's the generation of kids. I just don't think that kids today (in general) have that heart, desire, whatever you want to call it, necessary for a team like DLS to really succeed against the factories. Kids are more and more into instant gratification, entitlement, not AS willing to put in the work, etc. I think that the student-athlete DLS needs to be successful are harder to come by these days. And it's not that the kids are bad...just different. Just my opinion. Thoughts?

15 minutes ago, Pops said:

Sorry — meant my Jim Carey dealie to be a response to this

this is certainly the clearest path for hope and optimism, but it’s Long odds 

herb brooks famous pre-game speech before the 1980 upset of the USSR hockey team allegedly included:

”if you played 10 times, they might win nine, BUT NOT TONIGHT!! — Tonight is our night”

DLS coaches might have to amend to start it:

”If you played 100 times, they might win 99...”

then again, that might have the opposite effect 

Miracle speech...the best!!!

"You were born to be football players...every one of you. I'm sick and tired of hearing about how good the Monarchs are! Their time is over. They're time is done! This is YOUR time...now go out and take it!!!" (Triumphant/Motivating music in background)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blueliner said:

Interesting that you say that. I've thought the same thing. It's not that school or coaches are different. I think it's the generation of kids. I just don't think that kids today (in general) don't have that heart, desire, whatever you want to call it, necessary for a team like DLS to really succeed. Kids are more and more into instant gratification, entitlement etc. I think that the student-athlete DLS needs are harder to come by these days. Just my opinion. Thoughts?

I'm not sure about that. I thought that last year's group was as scrappy as you could hope for in the Bowl Game.

You don't think that those kids gave everything they had in that game?

10 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Yeah, if Central's passing game is good enough to put 30 on DLS, then MD's is good enough to put 60 on the Spartans. 

I think I'm gonna need a lot booze to get through this one. 

It somehow helps that it's Rollo and MD though. 

Yep. Are you going? Weather's gonna be perfect unlike the near freezing of the last few years.

Let's not forget, MD has a world class passing offense, but DLS played some decent pass offenses this year in SJC, Central and the Bishop. I think those tests have been good experience. I also think MD will be surprised by the line speed of DLS. While similarly built to BG and SJB, unlike those teams, MD hasn't seen DLS in many years and I don't think you can replicate the speed in practice. I'm grasping at straws but I got to give myself some hope leading into Sat. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I'm not sure about that. I thought that last year's group was as scrappy as you could hope for in the Bowl Game.

You don't think that those kids gave everything they had in that game?

They totally gave everything that they had that game. Scored 33 points while completely overmatched. I guess what I mean is through the dog days. Do they have that commitment to their brother the way he old teams did? What is that definition of commitment in today's kid world? Based on my experience, it Seems like kids just don't want to work as hard as they/we used to. Maybe I'm way off base. It's not a knock on the kids. Just different. DLS, to me, unless they become a factory, which they won't, they've gotta find kids that will be committed to somebody other than themselves...I think those kids are fewer and further in between these days... my theory at least.  

• Like 1