Breakdown: Texas Football Championship Games

DevilDog

Breaking Down Texas State Football Games

• As I did last year. I am doing the same breaking down the Games I the order they are played.  Not by Class but by the Games Scheduled.  1st off if you are going Tickets are $15.00 each Session:

I Won't do the 1A 6Man ball but here is the lay out for games on Wednesday:   1st breakdown will be 2A Mart vs. Refugio

I said on another thread for those knowledgeable about Texas football for all classes this will be the most Competitive and tradition rich State Championship ever and it begins with these little State Powerhouses.   I will provide a lot of info on each program throughout this thread.  This isn’t about some National discussion.

This is what I know and love and are my takes and I look for others as well.  Let’s enjoy our State Championships. What makes us unique is we don’t have a bunch of County schools but small towns in many cases no more than 10 miles apart: But all with their own teams and uniqueness.   Here is my take of each team:   This one has been anticipated since Refugio dropped to 2A.  little school powers in State: 

2A Division I State Championship
Mart (14-1) vs. Refugio (13-1)

The Breakdown:  Mart pop: (2,426) 84 Miles away:    Refugio pop 2,890 306 miles away

Refugio is the team a few years back that got flack for running up the score. They dropped to 2A four years ago.  Both squads are very talented.

Mart might be the fastest team in the State and yes I know they are 2A.9_9  Both offenses are the best in their division and this will be a scoring fest: Both have very good QB’s yes I know they are 2A9_9.  Mart QB Jace Terry (UH commit) 2,013 yds 31 tds and 924 yds and 17 on the ground I rest my case and he is throwing to another UH commit WR Zamar Kirven and top that off with RB Tyrek Horne over 2,000 and 26 tds hard runner and tough to bring down.  Remember these 3 and yes they are on a lil 2A team.  Refugio has firepower of their own QB Jared Kelly over 3,000 yds and 44 tds alon with RB/LB Jacobe Avery.  The cool thing about this football a lot of 2 way starters.  It should be a good one. Both have the top 5 defenses in 2A and not giving up many points. 

My pick Mart 48 Refugio 45: 

Mart: Off: 56.6 pts per game 1st in 2A DI:   Def:  9.6 per game 2nd in 2A DI:    Combined Opp Record 100-69:   State Champs (5):  2010, 2006, 1999, 1969, 1957

Refugio Off: 47.1 pts per game 2nd in 2A DI:   Def 13.5 pts per game 5th in 2A DI:  Combined opp Record 101-66:    State Champs (4) 2016, 2011, 1982, 1970

A look at one of the kids here: 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6755812/59b7d7cc0c5da405dc816f28

More breakdowns to come: 

• Thanks 4
  • Like 2

2A Division II State Championship
Muenster (15-0) vs. Tenaha (15-0)
11 a.m. Thursday, December 21

The Breakdown:  Muenster pop: (1,587) 64 Miles away:    Tenaha pop 1,161 175 miles away

For the 2A DII we have 2 unbeaten squads and Beast Texas Makes an appearance with the most dominating team In the Playoffs regardless of Class Tenaha vs. DFW small school Muenster:   

This kicks off Thursday with 2 undefeated teams and have been on a collision course:  Tenaha hasn’t had a game within 19pts since week 2:  As is the refrain for East Texas Speed Meunster has good speed but Tenaha is on a different level at the skill spots with RB Onterio Thompson 2,400 yds 34 td’s and LB Tavoris Giles has over 200 freaking tackles this year along with do everything Ath. Trai Gardner whose coach claims is one of the best in the area and would be high on everyone’s list if he was at Carthage or another bigger school in Beast Texas: Gardner’s numbers are spectacular. He’s Tenaha’s leading receiver with 56 catches for 1,204 yards and 18 touchdowns. Gardner has also rushed 16 times for 243 yards and three scores. Defensively, he has two interceptions, six pass break-ups, and a fumble recovery. Gardner also averages 47.4 yards per kickoff return, and 15.5 on punt returns.   Muenster retaliates with big play capability to at this level:  QB Parker McGrew 2,531 yds and 39 tds along with 1,121 yds and 17 tds on the ground and is leading a team averaging 53 pts a game.  Tenaha’s QB CJ Horn has better numbers:  Muenster has one of the biggest defensive lines in 2A led by OL/DL Carson Cheaney:  Neither have played strong strength of schedules and have dominated.  I gotta roll with Beast Texas speed over DFW power in this one.  Yep call me a Homer

My pick Tenaha 55 Muenster 42

Muenster: Off: 52.6 pts per game 2nd in 2A DII:   Def:  6.7 per game 2nd in 2A DII:    Combined Opp Record 81-81:   State Champs (0):  1ST Appearance

Tenaha Off: 52.8. pts per game 1st in 2A DII:   Def 6.6 pts per game 1st in  DII:  Combined opp Record 77-84:    State Champs (2) 2011, 1998

Beast Texas lil ball:  They got some athletes :  They were expected since returning 10 on Offense in their class.

You can get a look at at them last week vs. Burton. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Breaking Down Texas State Football Games

• As I did last year. I am doing the same breaking down the Games I the order they are played.  Not by Class but by the Games Scheduled.  1st off if you are going Tickets are $15.00 each Session:

I Won't do the 1A 6Man ball but here is the lay out for games on Wednesday:   1st breakdown will be 2A Mart vs. Refugio

I said on another thread for those knowledgeable about Texas football for all classes this will be the most Competitive and tradition rich State Championship ever and it begins with these little State Powerhouses.   I will provide a lot of info on each program throughout this thread.  This isn’t about some National discussion.

This is what I know and love and are my takes and I look for others as well.  Let’s enjoy our State Championships. What makes us unique is we don’t have a bunch of County schools but small towns in many cases no more than 10 miles apart: But all with their own teams and uniqueness.   Here is my take of each team:   This one has been anticipated since Refugio dropped to 2A.  little school powers in State: 

2A Division I State Championship
Mart (14-1) vs. Refugio (13-1)

The Breakdown:  Mart pop: (2,426) 84 Miles away:    Refugio pop 2,890 306 miles away

Refugio is the team a few years back that got flack for running up the score. They dropped to 2A four years ago.  Both squads are very talented.

Mart might be the fastest team in the State and yes I know they are 2A.9_9  Both offenses are the best in their division and this will be a scoring fest: Both have very good QB’s yes I know they are 2A9_9.  Mart QB Jace Terry (UH commit) 2,013 yds 31 tds and 924 yds and 17 on the ground I rest my case and he is throwing to another UH commit WR Zamar Kirven and top that off with RB Tyrek Horne over 2,000 and 26 tds hard runner and tough to bring down.  Remember these 3 and yes they are on a lil 2A team.  Refugio has firepower of their own QB Jared Kelly over 3,000 yds and 44 tds alon with RB/LB Jacobe Avery.  The cool thing about this football a lot of 2 way starters.  It should be a good one. Both have the top 5 defenses in 2A and not giving up many points. 

My pick Mart 48 Refugio 45: 

Mart: Off: 56.6 pts per game 1st in 2A DI:   Def:  9.6 per game 2nd in 2A DI:    Combined Opp Record 100-69:   State Champs (5):  2010, 2006, 1999, 1969, 1957

Refugio Off: 47.1 pts per game 2nd in 2A DI:   Def 13.5 pts per game 5th in 2A DI:  Combined opp Record 101-66:    State Champs (4) 2016, 2011, 1982, 1970

A look at one of the kids here: 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6755812/59b7d7cc0c5da405dc816f28

More breakdowns to come: 

Like I expected you to pick "The devil of Texas football." 😁

I don't like'em either...But I won't doubt the 2A powerhouse (Yes..I know Mart is one also..)

Flip the score on this one:

Refugio 48 Mart 45

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Frosty4024 said:

Like I expected you to pick "The devil of Texas football." 😁

I don't like'em either...But I won't doubt the 2A powerhouse (Yes..I know Mart is one also..)

Flip the score on this one:

Refugio 48 Mart 45

I can't wait to do the 4A Breakdowns.  I think pound for pound the best In the State and the most talented.  I think it will open eyes to my fellow Texans of what those 4 teams are working with.  I have seen a few in Person as well.  I agree they can beat Mart.  Do you agree this is the best group in the last 20 years from 2A-6A in the matchups. Every class has a powerhouse facing a real powerhouse.  Outside of Argyle and Katy not really much of what most thought would happen in each class. 

1 minute ago, nptb17 said:

Ok I was about to say like how in the hell does the 2a schools have 2000 students.

Here's are the classification sizes:

6A       2150 and above

5A       1100 – 2149

4A       480 – 1099

3A       221 – 479

2A       105 – 220

1A       104.9 and below

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

Ok I was about to say like how in the hell does the 2a schools have 2000 students.

I think it is relevant to judge the type of athletes from such a small population.  In Texas if you tell someone the population and if they are HS football fans they will damn near pinpoint the class due to the town size.  Some rare occasions.  Most states would lock them all into a county.  That is one of the reason we have so many HS playing the sport and make the atmosphere unique.  Doesn't mean we are better just a different culture.

10 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Here's are the classification sizes:

6A       2150 and above

5A       1100 – 2149

4A       480 – 1099

3A       221 – 479

2A       105 – 220

1A       104.9 and below

what is crazy look at some of the skill kids from towns like Tenaha and Mart.  A few years back Waskom ran a 41.05 in the 4x100 and was the fastest in Beast Texas and Top 30 in the Whole State.  In that area of Texas Football and Track are the sports.  And they prove it with how many teams from there are In the S.C. in 2A-4A.  I can't wait till I drop 4A.  I've been big on them all season long.  And will throw out some comparison dynamics with larger schools as proof of how good these 4 are. I will say these are the best 4 matchups ever in that class.  I know WOS and Gilmer was big a few years back.  But you have 4 of those types this time around.  No class has that quality pound for pound and actually 5A IMHO tops 6A this year.  I don't mean either of them would beat those 6A Big boys.  But their athletes are just as good as any on any team in 6A.

Horsefly remember when we were discussing Coach Surratt @ Carthage one of the best in State:  Now we know why he hasn't left.  Also many of the best Coaches in Texas that you know at the big schools come out of Beast Texas;   You know Chad Morris from LT and now HC @ Arkansas he is a Beast Tex guy that coached at 2A powerhouse Elysian Fields,  Lineweaver that put ET on the Map from 3A Commerce.   Check out this article:  This is Carthage's 6th trip to state in the last 10 years and he is 5-0. 

With a total salary of $154,900, Surratt is paid just a little less than the high school football coach in Lake Travis, where the district's student body is nearly four times larger and its median income is six figures. Carthage ISD's median income is $49,886, a few thousand below the state average.

Quote from Him:  An East Texan at heart, Scott will tell you there’s not a better place in the state than Carthage as far as he’s concerned. “My wife loves it, my kids love it. As long as they’re happy and we’re being successful, I’m happy. I don’t think you can bring your kids up in a better school system or a better community. To be honest with you, I probably would have tried the college thing if it weren’t for having young kids. But college football is year round with very little downtime. I would love the challenge, but my wife and kids mean more to me than that.”

Amid state cuts, a Texas high school football coach got a $20,000 raise. His district says he's earned it.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/12/19/carthage-budget-cuts/

But he argued that Coach Surratt has earned his raise by bringing large crowds into the stadium. When Carthage ISD won the state championship game last year, the league sent over a check for $32,357. "We would save a lot of money initially if we changed football coaches. ... But if we didn't make the playoffs anymore, we would lose that income," he said. "He justifies his salary by the amount of money or revenue the program brings in."

3 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Horsefly remember when we were discussing Coach Surratt @ Carthage one of the best in State:  Now we know why he hasn't left.  Also many of the best Coaches in Texas that you know at the big schools come out of Beast Texas;   You know Chad Morris from LT and now HC @ Arkansa he is a ETex guy that coached at 2A powerhouse Elysian Fields,  Lineweaver that put ET on the Map from 3A Commerce.   Check out this article:  This is Carthage's 6th trip to state in the last 10 years and he is 5-0. 

With a total salary of $154,900, Surratt is paid just a little less than the high school football coach in Lake Travis, where the district's student body is nearly four times larger and its median income is six figures. Carthage ISD's median income is $49,886, a few thousand below the state average.

Quote from Him:  An East Texan at heart, Scott will tell you there’s not a better place in the state than Carthage as far as he’s concerned. “My wife loves it, my kids love it. As long as they’re happy and we’re being successful, I’m happy. I don’t think you can bring your kids up in a better school system or a better community. To be honest with you, I probably would have tried the college thing if it weren’t for having young kids. But college football is year round with very little downtime. I would love the challenge, but my wife and kids mean more to me than that.”

Amid state cuts, a Texas high school football coach got a $20,000 raise. His district says he's earned it.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/12/19/carthage-budget-cuts/

But he argued that Coach Surratt has earned his raise by bringing large crowds into the stadium. When Carthage ISD won the state championship game last year, the league sent over a check for $32,357. "We would save a lot of money initially if we changed football coaches. ... But if we didn't make the playoffs anymore, we would lose that income," he said. "He justifies his salary by the amount of money or revenue the program brings in."

He's got it made, he's probably the highest paid man in Carthage regardless of career!  Lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

He's got it made, he's probably the highest paid man in Carthage regardless of career!  Lol

Do you remember the talented 2A football team that lost to Celina in State back when they had the 60+ winning Streak.  Chad Morris was the Coach of Elysian Fields they lost to Celina in State 21 -0>  Chad Morris was their Coach.  He is from the Small Beast Texas town of Edgewood.  Many cut their teeth in the Piney Woods of Beast Texas powers.  Before the big dogs come calling.  At the Carthage game Friday the guy behind me who recently graduated said we never rebuild we just reload and says they have better talent coming up the next 2 years. I hope they move to 5A.

14 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Do you remember the talented 2A football team that lost to Celina in State back when they had the 60+ winning Streak.  Chad Morris was the Coach of Elysian Fields they lost to Celina in State 21 -0>  Chad Morris was their Coach.  He is from the Small Beast Texas town of Edgewood.  Many cut their teeth in the Piney Woods of Beast Texas powers.  Before the big dogs come calling.  At the Carthage game Friday the guy behind me who recently graduated said we never rebuild we just reload and says they have better talent coming up the next 2 years. I hope they move to 5A.

Yep, I remember EF.  Unbelievable the talent in Carthage, not a whole lot around there either to draw talent from other areas.

i get back to Marshall and Kilgore about twice a year...in all these years not a dang thing has changed...these little small towns stand the test of time...lol

I was gonna hold this till I breakdown 6A.  But inquiring minds wanted to know.  Here it is drum roll Please

Image result for drum roll gif

I am all over these State Championships from 2A -4A

Baldwin was hurt last Week against Katy and is iffy going into this one.  There it is

I’m ready to play in this game,” he said. “I feel good and I’ve been putting pressure on it (his right leg).”

An Ohio State pledge, Baldwin has thrown for nearly 4,000 yards this season, his first as the full-time starter for the Cavaliers. Against Katy, he completed 22 of 30 passes for 225 yards, including a 26-yard touchdown toss to Kyle Wakefield.

At Lake Travis’ media day on Monday, Baldwin appeared to be limping slightly while meeting with reporters.

Lake Travis football coach Hank Carter said Monday he was cautiously optimistic that injured Cavaliers quarterback Matthew Baldwin will play Saturday in the Class 6A, Division I championship game against Allen.

“This is going to be his last game ever at Lake Travis High School, and I know how much that means to him,” Carter said of Baldwin, a senior who has thrown 44 touchdown passes this season. “I expect him to play and I expect him to play well.”

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Yep, I knew he was hurt, I saw the play and his health is what I'm up in the air about.  Playing , limping around is far different and won't help them win.

No doubt about it.  Remember the Katy QB playing on a broken leg and losing to C.H. a few years back.  Not good at all.  Surprised non of the CAVS mentioned it. 

Just now, DevilDog said:

No doubt about it.  Remember the Katy QB playing on a broken leg and losing to C.H. a few years back.  Not good at all.  Surprised non of the CAVS mentioned it. 

Chimp did, he posted a link with the coach stating pretty much what you stated.   Still, I don't get the warm fuzzy he's 100%, and that's not gonna get it vs a healthy Allen 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevilDog said:

I was gonna hold this till I breakdown 6A.  But inquiring minds wanted to know.  Here it is drum roll Please

Image result for drum roll gif

I am all over these State Championships from 2A -4A

Baldwin was hurt last Week against Katy and is iffy going into this one.  There it is

I’m ready to play in this game,” he said. “I feel good and I’ve been putting pressure on it (his right leg).”

An Ohio State pledge, Baldwin has thrown for nearly 4,000 yards this season, his first as the full-time starter for the Cavaliers. Against Katy, he completed 22 of 30 passes for 225 yards, including a 26-yard touchdown toss to Kyle Wakefield.

At Lake Travis’ media day on Monday, Baldwin appeared to be limping slightly while meeting with reporters.

Lake Travis football coach Hank Carter said Monday he was cautiously optimistic that injured Cavaliers quarterback Matthew Baldwin will play Saturday in the Class 6A, Division I championship game against Allen.

“This is going to be his last game ever at Lake Travis High School, and I know how much that means to him,” Carter said of Baldwin, a senior who has thrown 44 touchdown passes this season. “I expect him to play and I expect him to play well.”

Definitely curious to see if this will be a coming out party for Garrett Wilson.

3A Division II State Championship
Gunter (15-0) vs. Newton (14-0)

7 p.m. Thursday, December 21

The Breakdown:  Gunter pop: (2,426) 53 Miles away Enrollment 256:   Newton pop 2,402 237 miles away: Enrollment 275

Another DFW vs. Beast Texas Matchup.  I will include the enrollment numbers of all teams going forward as well.  This will give you an idea of the level of Football relevant to the Student populations.  No doubt the best football is played in these two regions and there is 1 more bigger one coming in 4A.  1st up Gunter the defending State Champs and who rolled up 2 Beast Texas teams on their road back to State and now they face another Beast Texas squad and forget about Mart who is speedy.  Newton is the fastest team at this State Championship.  Think of a small Desoto and that is what you are going to see with them.  Gunter is on a 31 game winning Streak. They will be at a disadvantage athletically and Newton’s speed will be a challenge while Gunter’s execution will have to counter NHS team speed.  Did I mention they are Beast Texas Fast:  The matchup to view will be Newton on Defense vs. the Gunter Offense.  In listening and watching previews of this one.  Fox S.W. crew says this might be the best matchup at State.  I disagree but again I have stated this will be the best State Championship lineup ever.  Gunter is led by RB/DB Dylan Jantz just over 1,000 yds and 24 TD’s and Newton will counter with RB Darwin Barlow 1,945 yds and 35 tds.  Interesting kid and a unique bond with his coach who has a very unique disease after lung transfer surgery.  Newton also has a great LB in Corbin Foster who has amassed 193 tackles, seven for losses and 4 sacks.  Look out for Newton ATH Tamauazia Brown:   Kid is a Beast among several on this 3A squad avg 16 yds per catch 802 yds rcv and 14 tds also adding 355 yds and 4tds on the ground.  They have been dominate in the playoffs. Gunter is battle tested and this one should be a good one and you will notice how the teams get bigger at this level compared to the 2A guys.  Both are ranked either 1 or 2 on both Offense and Defense in their class that should tell you what we are in store for in this one.  Enough of my bloviating let’s look at the tale of the Tape.   You will not find two more dominate teams in State facing each other.  FSW crew presented a valid argument. 

My pick Newton 35 Gunter 31:    Consensus of Tx hs voters:  Gunter 54% vs. Newton 46%

Guenter: Off: 50.4 pts per game 2nd in 3A DII:   Def:  7.0 per game 1st in 3A DII:    Combined Opp Record 77-82:   State Champs (1):  2016

Newton Off: 53.1 pts per game 1st in 3A DII:   Def 9.1 pts per game 2nd in 3A DII:  Combined opp Record 75-77:    State Champs (4) 2005, 1998, 1975

a look at Newton:  Think Desoto light.  Last week vs. Boling;  #6 RB for Boling is a Alabama recruit.  3A ballers:  Talented lil public football teams from less than 300 homegrown kids.

• Thanks 2