Breakdown: Texas Football Championship Games

DevilDog

On 12/19/2017 at 3:36 PM, Frosty4024 said:

Like I expected you to pick "The devil of Texas football." 😁

I don't like'em either...But I won't doubt the 2A powerhouse (Yes..I know Mart is one also..)

Flip the score on this one:

Refugio 48 Mart 45

See... You dont know shit...  Chandler AZ > Centennial AZ

1 hour ago, ECHS05 said:

See... You dont know shit...  Chandler AZ > Centennial AZ

Pot...meet Kettle...last name...Black...

Because I KNOW you know NOTHING about Texas 2A football...

Counter-Subtle jab aside:

Yeah I went against the grain (It worked when I picked LT lol)...Refugio has been to like 9 title games and only won like 4 of them...Why???

Their history:

Refugio is basically the bully of 2A...As result...they end up pulling their starters by halftime at average...Which means when they are actually in a close game they're not conditioned and end up getting fatigue and panic (Happened again tonight apparently...)

But what are 2A schools who have players that play both ways supposed to do???  Keep playing them.. they get hated on for "running up the score"...Don't play them and well....this...

It's a slippery slope for that school...

(Centennial > Chandler until proven otherwise..)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DiaTX said:

Texas high school football fans are awesome.   5,287 people in attendance per UIL for 6-man football championship today on a Wednesday afternoon.  

Attendance so far:  Good showing by the lil guys

6Man DII Gail Borden County (15-0) vs. Jonesboro (13-2) Attendance: 4482   Combined population of both towns less then 1,000

6 Man DI Balmorhea (13-1) vs. Strawn (15-0) Attendance: 5287 Combined population of both towns apprx 1200

2A DI Mart (15-1) vs. Refugio (13-2) Attendance: 7431 Combined population both tows:  5,316

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Attendance so far:  Good showing by the lil guys

6Man DII Gail Borden County (15-0) vs. Jonesboro (13-2) Attendance: 4482   Combined population of both towns less then 1,000

6 Man DI Balmorhea (13-1) vs. Strawn (15-0) Attendance: 5287 Combined population of both towns apprx 1200

2A DI Mart (15-1) vs. Refugio (13-2) Attendance: 7431 Combined population both tows:  5,316

Absolutely a great showing of fans so far.  One of the announcers said "The last one of town, turn off the lights" Lol

• Haha 1

3A Division I State Championship
Brock (13-2) vs. Rockdale (12-3)
3 p.m. Thursday, December 21

The Breakdown: Brock pop: (Unicorp) 49 Miles away Enrollment 352   Rockdale pop 5,628 144  miles away: Enrollment 456

Brock is a small unincorporated community in Parker County and was a small school basketball power for years who have only been playing varsity football for 4 years. TexasBall is the man for all things Brock and should be doing this matchup.  Yet they are in their 2nd State Championship while Rockdale residing in the Brazos Valley is seeking its 2nd title also.  Brock is a smash mouth team along the lines of the old Celina teams. Rockdale will have to man up to contain them.  If it is a high scoring game Rockdale has a great chance to upset them.  Let’s look at Rockdale QB Torry Locklin is a 3rd generation player with a great family history has 4,512 yds and 53 tds and his go to ATH Jaquaylin Crawford the District MVP and is considered elite on both sides.  State Track Champion as well watch him in this one with 1329 yds and 21 tds and they also have the District Defensive MVR in LB Dylan David.  Brock will counter with 2 RB’s Dawson Littlepage and Tanner Patino.  Brock is strong on Defense with DT Skylar Collier and LB Zakk Young who has 193 freaking tackles on the year. 

My pick Brock 31 Rockdale 17:    Consensus of Tx hs voters:  Brock 53% vs. Rockdale 47%

Brock: Off: 43.2 pts per game 8th in 3A DI:   Def:  12.9 per game 4th in 3A DI:    Combined Opp Record 97-67:   State Champs (1):  2015

Rockdale:  Off: 40.8. pts per game 11th in 3A DI:   Def 23.2 pts per game 28th in 3A DI:  Combined opp Record 98-64:    State Champs (1) 1976

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DiaTX said:

Absolutely a great showing of fans so far.  One of the announcers said "The last one of town, turn off the lights" Lol

Great battle between Beast Texas Speed and DFW Size in the 2A game between Muenster and Tenaha both avg over 50pts but also have elite defenses in that class. Muenster 10 -7 at the half.  I am 1-0 so far in my picks and I got Beast Texas in this one as well.  Good contrast. 

The little guys breakdowns are complete and now I get to breakdown the big boys 4A-6A. 

Image result for oh hell yeah gif

12 hours ago, Frosty4024 said:

Pot...meet Kettle...last name...Black...

Because I KNOW you know NOTHING about Texas 2A football...

Counter-Subtle jab aside:

Yeah I went against the grain (It worked when I picked LT lol)...Refugio has been to like 9 title games and only won like 4 of them...Why???

Their history:

Refugio is basically the bully of 2A...As result...they end up pulling their starters by halftime at average...Which means when they are actually in a close game they're not conditioned and end up getting fatigue and panic (Happened again tonight apparently...)

But what are 2A schools who have players that play both ways supposed to do???  Keep playing them.. they get hated on for "running up the score"...Don't play them and well....this...

It's a slippery slope for that school...

(Centennial > Chandler until proven otherwise..)

How Centennial > Chandler?

Chandlers the top ranked team in AZ bar none. Nobody has Centennial ahead of them.

4A Division II State Championship
Pleasant Grove (15-0) vs. West Orange-Stark (13-0)
3 p.m. Friday, December 22

The Breakdown: P.G. (Texarkana, Tx)  pop: 37,679 176 Miles away Enrollment 634  WOS (Orange, Tx) pop 19,418 144 269 miles away:  Enrollment 583

Now we are moving to the big boys bigger towns and bigger teams and this will be an all out war in the Battle of Beast Texas.  Pleasant grove in the North Part vs. West Orange Stark in the Southern part of Beast Texas.  I have hyped 4A from week 5.  This is one of the deepest classes in the State and pound for pound are the most athletic and star filled.  Now let’s look at these Beast Texas Powerhouses.  Gotta start off with Defending State Champs and the best defensive team in the whole State last year and they haven’t fallen off a bit. Proof in the 4A DI final that I will breakdown later house Kennedale they have one lost on the season and yep it was to WOS 23-20 and Kennedale is loaded in their backfield.  Last year they finished in National Rankings and this year per HS Football America Poll they are ranked 13th in the whole State of Texas.  If you doubt this program look no further than Seattle Seahawk Safety Earl Thomas as the type of athletes they produce on defense.  And they are sporting the longest winning streak in Texas at 40 games and their 4th consecutive trip to state.   They will be playing against the biggest Team in 4A PG runs the wing-T with (3) 300lbs on their line and would not take a back seat to anyone in size.  To compare how good these teams are PG beat Ark. 6A Ark High who beat 5A Texas High that played Highland Park to their closest playoff game.  Either one of these guys would be a handful in 5A.  They also went to Gilmer and beat them at home for their 1st home district loss in over 8 years.    Explosive PG against the stout defense WOS.  WOS had to replace 19 seniors off last years team. 

Matt Stepp describe them as tw0 of the best Defensive teams in the State and a throwback.  PG runs the Wing-T and a punishing Defense.  Look for Bruce Garrett and TJ Cole to tote the rock against the WOS Defense.  WOS haven’t been as explosive on offense but nails on defense and the key to beating them is the through the air which PG can do.  WOS typically wears out Wing and Slot-T type offenses. See Kennedale.    This is the only class in Texas where without a doubt the 4 best teams are in State.  The question remains who is the best of the bunch.  Kennedale, Carthage, WOS or PG.  All 4 are loaded with many DI recruits among the 4 including the best in Texas at 1 position. 

The Playmakers:

WOS Players to watch :  They have sent players to Texas, Alabama, UTSA, A&M and La. Lafayette recently and the trends continue: This season's WOS team features three players with high-level Division I offers. None of the three - Tamauzia Brown, Darwin Barlow and James Sylvester - are seniors and CB Jarron Morris Texas State commitment.  Also watch out for Sr. QB Chaka Watson and RB Kayvyn Cooper.

PG players to watch:

WR/LB Xavier Benson, Sr., 6-3, 200 (16 catches, 412 yards, 5 TDs; 101 tackles, 7 for loss, 7 sacks, 7 QB pressures, 1 INT, 8 PBUs, 2 forced fumbles, 2 recoveries, 2 blocked kicks; committed to Texas Tech)

RB/DB Chauncey Martin, Sr., 6-0, 192 (94 carries, 1,009 yards, 15 TDs; 63 tackles, 2 for loss, 1 sack, 2 INTs, 4 PBUs, 2 fumble recoveries)

RB TJ Cole, Sr., 6-0, 200 (205 carries, 1,531 yards, 22 TDs; 16 catches, 283 yards, 3 TDs)

LB Caleb Porchia, Sr., 6-0, 210 (184 tackles, 14 for loss, 4 sacks, 7 QB pressures, 1 INT, 1 PBU, 6 forced fumbles, 2 recoveries)

QB Ben Harmon, Soph., 6-1, 180 (74 of 116, 1,713 yards, 25 TDs, 6 INTs; 61 carries, 154 yards, 4 TDs)

WR Carson Cox, Sr., 6-3, 185 (28 catches, 762 yards, 12 TDs)

RB Bruce Garrett, Soph., 5-10, 178 (96 carries, 851 yards, 7 TDs; 3 catches, 38 yards)

DL Landon Jackson, Fr., 6-5, 195 (94 tackles, 15 for loss, 10 sacks, 18 QB pressures, 1 INT, 6 PBUs, 3 forced fumbles, 1 recovery, 1 blocked kick

Just the facts

• Pleasant Grove has nearly three 1,000-yard rushers on its team.

• Pleasant Grove quarterback Ben Harmon is averaging 23.1 yards per completion and receiver Carson Cox is averaging 27.2 yards per catch.

• West Orange Stark is making its fourth consecutive championship appearance and has the longest active win streak in Texas with 40 games.

• West Orange Stark is led by its defense, which is allowing only 7.1 points per game.

My pick PG 21 WOS 17:    Consensus of Tx hs voters:  PG 52% vs. WOS 48%

Pleasant Grove: Off: 43.6 pts per game 10th in 4A DII:   Def:  16.0 per game 8th in 4A DII:    Combined Opp Record 75-74:   State Champs (0):  1ST appearance

West Orange Stark:  Off: 36.0. pts per game 23rd in 4A DII:   Def 9.1 pts per game 1st in 4A DII:  Combined opp Record 82-66:    State Champs (4) 2016, 2015, 187, 1986

2 hours ago, DevilDog said:

3A Division I State Championship
Brock (13-2) vs. Rockdale (12-3)
3 p.m. Thursday, December 21

The Breakdown: Brock pop: (Unicorp) 49 Miles away Enrollment 352   Rockdale pop 5,628 144  miles away: Enrollment 456

Brock is a small unincorporated community in Parker County and was a small school basketball power for years who have only been playing varsity football for 4 years. TexasBall is the man for all things Brock and should be doing this matchup.  Yet they are in their 2nd State Championship while Rockdale residing in the Brazos Valley is seeking its 2nd title also.  Brock is a smash mouth team along the lines of the old Celina teams. Rockdale will have to man up to contain them.  If it is a high scoring game Rockdale has a great chance to upset them.  Let’s look at Rockdale QB Torry Locklin is a 3rd generation player with a great family history has 4,512 yds and 53 tds and his go to ATH Jaquaylin Crawford the District MVP and is considered elite on both sides.  State Track Champion as well watch him in this one with 1329 yds and 21 tds and they also have the District Defensive MVR in LB Dylan David.  Brock will counter with 2 RB’s Dawson Littlepage and Tanner Patino.  Brock is strong on Defense with DT Skylar Collier and LB Zakk Young who has 193 freaking tackles on the year. 

My pick Brock 31 Rockdale 17:    Consensus of Tx hs voters:  Brock 53% vs. Rockdale 47%

Brock: Off: 43.2 pts per game 8th in 3A DI:   Def:  12.9 per game 4th in 3A DI:    Combined Opp Record 97-67:   State Champs (1):  2015

Rockdale:  Off: 40.8. pts per game 11th in 3A DI:   Def 23.2 pts per game 28th in 3A DI:  Combined opp Record 98-64:    State Champs (1) 1976

Watch this Brock defense - They base out of 10-1 which Celina made famous.  Also Argyle runs the same defense.  all the coaches involved are originally from the G.A. Moore coaching Tree.

It's always interesting when a team can spin it vs this 10-1.