Breakdown: Texas Football Championship Games

DevilDog

1 hour ago, Horsefly said:

Rockdale QB is pretty good

I featured him and that Speedy WR in my Breakdown.  Kid has some crazy stats for the year.  Melissa has the best small school QB I the State and he is only a Soph. along with those 2 RB's look for them next year. Brandon Lewis 6'2 180 remember when I saw him vs. Gilmer.  He is a bigger version of Kyler Murray.  They are gonna be a handful believe that.  A lot of good small school qb's.  Mart's QB is a UH commit and he balled out last night. SMU already made an offer to the Melissa Kid and he has JaBray Young behind him the next 2 years.  And PG killed them.  That's the reason I am picking them over WOS.

Attendance so far:  Good showing by the lil guys

6Man DII Gail Borden County (15-0) vs. Jonesboro (13-2) Attendance: 4482   Combined population of both towns less then 1,000

6 Man DI Balmorhea (13-1) vs. Strawn (15-0) Attendance: 5287 Combined population of both towns apprx 1200

2A DI Mart (15-1) vs. Refugio (13-2) Attendance: 7431 Combined population both towns:  5,316

2A DII Muenster (15-0) vs. Tenaha (15-0) Attendance: 9137 Combined population both towns:  2,748

So far 6man teams and little 2A towns they played before a combined total of 26,337 fans. Yet all those lil towns have a combined population of 10,164.  More than double their populations.  Not bad at all for that group.

26,000 is probably be amount for all 8 Florida title games.

Not that it means much in terms of quality on the field ;) but it just means a whole lot more in Texas in terms of passion and pride than anywhere else in the country. 

That's a great thing. Atmosphere is a big deal as a fan. We are all fans and want the best atmosphere possible. The best experiences I have been to in Florida have been packed games with a lot on the line. 

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see the bigger classes 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

26,000 is probably be amount for all 8 Florida title games.

Not that it means much in terms of quality on the field ;) but it just means a whole lot more in Texas in terms of passion and pride than anywhere else in the country. 

That's a great thing. Atmosphere is a big deal as a fan. We are all fans and want the best atmosphere possible. The best experiences I have been to in Florida have been packed games with a lot on the line. 

Thanks for the update. Can't wait to see the bigger classes 

I went to a game in Florida about 3 or 4 years ago and watched an ex girlfriends son who was a beast RB @ Bishop Moore in Fl.  I had a great time the game was packed and hell I even got to see Ray Lewis. I agree not about a National perspective but don't think those 6 Man kids didn't get a helluva kick out of playing in front of 5K people. 

17 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Why does this rockdale QB not have any offers?

This kid moved to Rockdale from Las Cruces, NM where he played in their large class.  His family runs deep in Rocklin and he wanted to come back and add to the history:  pretty cool story:

Torry Locklin had no idea that a fleeting thought three years ago would become reality. Living in Las Cruces, N.M., at the time and visiting family in Rockdale during his freshman year, a single thought entered Locklin’s head and left with little deliberation.

“I remember thinking, ‘It’d be pretty cool to come play football here in Rockdale,’” he said. “That moment has always kind of stuck with me. When it finally happened, it just felt like it was meant to be.”

“We’re lucky to have him here,” Rockdale coach Jeff Miller said. “He’s a real talent, an incredible athlete, but I mean this with everything I have, he’s a better person than football player.”

The 6-foot-2, 190-pound left-hander is the definition of a dual-threat quarterback, although he admitted to enjoying passing more than running. His speed allows him to elude tackles and escape collapsing pockets, while his frame, vision and arm strength make him a college-caliber passer, according to Miller.

“He’s so multi-talented. He runs it like a running back and throws it like a pocket passer. He’s certainly a dual-threat if there ever

Locklin spent the last three years in Las Cruces, where he displayed his athletic abilities as a wide receiver his sophomore year and at quarterback as a junior. With two college offers on the table entering his senior season, Locklin realized his time in New Mexico was limited after receiving some news from his dad.

“My dad was coaching in New Mexico at the time and he came to me and told me he got a job offer to join the Toronto Argonauts,” Locklin said, referring to the Canadian Football League team. “I was really happy for him, but I also wasn’t sure about what was going to happen.”

The Locklin name means a lot to the Rockdale community. Locklin’s dad, Kerry, who helped quarterback parts of Rockdale’s 1976 state championship run, and his grandfather, Billy Ray, are both in the Rockdale Hall of Honor. Two of Torry’s uncles also played for the Tigers.

“It’s an honor to be back here, to be able to carry on the family tradition,” Locklin said.

4 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

This kid moved to Rockdale from Las Cruces, NM where he played in their large class.  His family runs deep in Rocklin and he wanted to come back and add to the history:  pretty cool story:

Torry Locklin had no idea that a fleeting thought three years ago would become reality. Living in Las Cruces, N.M., at the time and visiting family in Rockdale during his freshman year, a single thought entered Locklin’s head and left with little deliberation.

“I remember thinking, ‘It’d be pretty cool to come play football here in Rockdale,’” he said. “That moment has always kind of stuck with me. When it finally happened, it just felt like it was meant to be.”

“We’re lucky to have him here,” Rockdale coach Jeff Miller said. “He’s a real talent, an incredible athlete, but I mean this with everything I have, he’s a better person than football player.”

The 6-foot-2, 190-pound left-hander is the definition of a dual-threat quarterback, although he admitted to enjoying passing more than running. His speed allows him to elude tackles and escape collapsing pockets, while his frame, vision and arm strength make him a college-caliber passer, according to Miller.

“He’s so multi-talented. He runs it like a running back and throws it like a pocket passer. He’s certainly a dual-threat if there ever

Locklin spent the last three years in Las Cruces, where he displayed his athletic abilities as a wide receiver his sophomore year and at quarterback as a junior. With two college offers on the table entering his senior season, Locklin realized his time in New Mexico was limited after receiving some news from his dad.

“My dad was coaching in New Mexico at the time and he came to me and told me he got a job offer to join the Toronto Argonauts,” Locklin said, referring to the Canadian Football League team. “I was really happy for him, but I also wasn’t sure about what was going to happen.”

The Locklin name means a lot to the Rockdale community. Locklin’s dad, Kerry, who helped quarterback parts of Rockdale’s 1976 state championship run, and his grandfather, Billy Ray, are both in the Rockdale Hall of Honor. Two of Torry’s uncles also played for the Tigers.

“It’s an honor to be back here, to be able to carry on the family tradition,” Locklin said.

Cool story, he'll get more offers for sure.

5 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

45-29 rockdale

Was that not cool that the Kid fighting cancer got the last snap.  I found out so many great stories researching these games.  If you think that is a story.  You should read about the Newton coach and his African American  RB and the bond they have.  He had a Lung Transfer that he thought would cure him and developed the rarest of diseases where he can die at any moment. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

Was that not cool that the Kid fighting cancer got the last snap.  I found out so many great stories researching these games.  If you think that is a story.  You should read about the Newton coach and his A.M. RB and the bond they have.  He had a Lung Transfer that he thought would cure him and developed the rarest of diseases where he can die at any moment. 

Excellent feel good story for the HC and son, memories of a lifetime for sure.

yep, I heard about the newton coach story.

this is the other reason I like these games, lots of community and personal stories surrounding these games, like Refugio and the hurricane impact.