Federer

954gator

3 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

Good points, again. Well thought out.

Proving who is GOAT (no matter the sport) has proven to be nearly impossible, though.

I have been nursing an extremely painful case of tennis elbow for the last couple months and it hurts me to even read about tennis.

Stop using Babolats!  No but seriously find an old school 320g+  low RA (higher flex) stick.  You’ll thank me later!   

Nothing for sale today plays like my Austrian 90s Head trisys midplus (pt57)...nothing!  Tried everything.

Angel 97/100 size was probably the best “modern” frame I’ve tried.  New retail rackets are almost all complete garbage.   Super stiff and light.   Your elbows worst nightmare and honestly garbage to play with.

57 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Stop using Babolats!  No but seriously find an old school 320g+  low RA (higher flex) stick.  You’ll thank me later!   

Nothing for sale today plays like my Austrian 90s Head trisys midplus (pt57)...nothing!  Tried everything.

Angel 97/100 size was probably the best “modern” frame I’ve tried.  New retail rackets are almost all complete garbage.   Super stiff and light.   Your elbows worst nightmare and honestly garbage to play with.

Changed from tennis to racquetball about 5 years ago (like to switch hobbies/exercise up). Have a blast playing both. Used Wilson 90s for tennis, and Head for racquetball. Middle of the road priced racquets -- not highest end, but not lowest either.

My tendons are currently jacked up. No fun at all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Guru said:

Federer is 4 years older than Nadal and 5 years older than Djokovic.

So, yes, true.

I understand that. But he was still in his prime when most those matches were played. That’s the point. And early on in their careers, Fed was seasoned and experienced while Rafa/Novak weren’t. That’s a big advantage. And those matches count too.

In short, you can’t throw out one factor because you don’t think it is in his favor. I mean, Fed was winning titles early on beating guys that were 5 years+ older than him. Those wins still count.

Roger was 28 when his stranglehold on major titles was lost.  Not exactly over the hill. Especially judging by the fact that he’s been able to win at 7-8 years older than that.

The reason he’s found it difficult to win like he had before is because he finally had elite competition in the field.

Lastly, why does age really matter? Roger Federer is still on tour and more than competitive. These guys often still have to go through him to win a tourney.

Do we marginalize when Tom Brady or LeBron loses simply because they are several years older than their opponents? Nope.

And both Rafa and Djokovic are routinely beating players 5 years or more younger than they are. Did you notice the age difference between Rafa and Thiem this past weekend or the year before? Didn't matter at all.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Federer beat Nadal for the 6th time in their last 7 matches, to advance to the Wimbledon final against Djokovic. I like both the guys playing in the finals, probably pulling a little for Federer, but think Djokovic will win. 3 great players who have combined for 50-some Grand Slam titles.

On the women's side, 23-time Slam champion Serena was worked pretty good by Halep in the final. Serena has certainly worked a lot of others in her career. Not today though. It was strange seeing Williams as the #11 seed. She can still play a bit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

. I like both the guys playing in the finals, probably pulling a little for Federer, 

Same. 

Novak has more time on his side to win more. 

Right now Roger is the GOAT imo. If Rod laver says Federer is the best of all time then that’s good enough for me. 

On 7/13/2019 at 4:55 PM, Mjd33 said:

Same. 

Novak has more time on his side to win more. 

Right now Roger is the GOAT imo. If Rod laver says Federer is the best of all time then that’s good enough for me. 

He has more slams, but the Joker is something else. At everyone's peak, that's who I'm taking

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steeler01 said:

He has more slams, but the Joker is something else. At everyone's peak, that's who I'm taking

Right now, Novak is better. That’s a given. 

But not until 2011 did Novak start to get the better of Roger. 

Pre 2011 Federer was 13-6 against Novak. 

In their last 11 matches Novak has 9-2 edge. 

Their primes didn’t overlap. That’s the problem. 

Barring injury,  Novak will have a few years to rack up majors with no Federer and nadal is probably only a threat to Novak on clay. 

Novak should retire with the most slams. 

23 hours ago, 954gator said:

Don't like that last set tiebreaker rule.   Let them play!

Caught me off-guard... I was at first wondering wtf they were talking about a tiebreaker in the 5th set.  That totally blows.   NHL does it right in playoffs, sudden death.   That's what made Wimbledon that much cooler.   Those guys weren't going the Isner match route years back, but it would have  been nice to see how long they could go.   Bummer as I'm a big Fed fan.   

22 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

Two match points. 

Thats what he will be thinking in bed tonight. 

First one, the best returner in the world sent it deep and right at Fed, and he was unable to control it.    That's a champion return right there.    But the second one was on Fed.   He brought to net a sitter of a pass that was too short and with topspin that Joker had a great look at.   Of course he has to produce, but that's on Fed and the rest is history.  

I'll add some pics to this post shortly.   Two of my old skunk, the infamous hammer 6.2  :)   and a picture of the stadium grass at the start of the 5th set on the last match on the court of the tourney... and the "T" was immaculate... really shows you how tennis has changed from the past, when serve and volley was so common in singles play on the grass.   It's become a standing joke almost when Mac sees a serve and volley.   Fed's slicing serve on the deuce side was ideal to come in on for example.  

Was a great tourney for fans.   Halep 3 unforced errors vs Serena... on grass!   Crazy, but gotta say I've never seen Serena move so slow in a Wimbledon final.  She needs to play more and get a step back.   

E41C1E17-C088-49D3-8D0F-2D46D3EAC741.png

96065D63-11F2-4353-8079-CFFCD2945A62.jpeg

C119C975-8210-46D6-85F7-1A05FB48E37A.png

Honestly, With Fed’s backhand being so off, it was crazy he was in it.  RIGHT NOW fed looked equal to Novak on grass.  Fed is 38 almost!   

You have to remember though Novak switched his racket set up I think early 2018 and should get more dialed in with time.   I think it took fed 2-3 years to get dialed in to the 98inch (from 90).   Novak went from 98 (18/20 strings) to 100 with 18/19 strings also it’s extended 1/4-1/2 inches.  

@golfaddict1  haha my first real racket was the skunk 6.2.   

13 hours ago, steeler01 said:

I dunno man on grass I take Fed because Novak and Rafa’s service games are weaker IMO.   

I think Novak on hard court

Rafa on Clay (easy)

Fed on grass.

Fed and Novak would be right there with each other though on hard and grass courts.  

14 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Honestly, With Fed’s backhand being so off, it was crazy he was in it.  RIGHT NOW fed looked equal to Novak on grass.  Fed is 38 almost!   

You have to remember though Novak switched his racket set up I think early 2018 and should get more dialed in with time.   I think it took fed 2-3 years to get dialed in to the 98inch (from 90).   Novak went from 98 (18/20 strings) to 100 with 18/19 strings also it’s extended 1/4-1/2 inches.  

@golfaddict1  haha my first real racket was the skunk 6.2.   

It all started with the classic Wilson Jack Kramer wood, then I had an AMF aluminum racket (forgot the name) and of course I tried the original Prince Pro (the trampoline),  with a few others for short durations.    The skunk was my fav racket.    I know who to ask if I ever buy a new racket for string questions :).   

54 minutes ago, 954gator said:

I dunno man on grass I take Fed because Novak and Rafa’s service games are weaker IMO.   

I think Novak on hard court

Rafa on Clay (easy)

Fed on grass.

Fed and Novak would be right there with each other though on hard and grass courts.  

Novak is 3-0 against Fed at Wimbledon.  He Djoker be playing spades while them other guys are playing rummy.

I saw the first two sets, then had other stuff going on. I came back to see the last half of the 5th set, up to 7-6. Then had my annual Rockies-Reds game with the 3 others from The Nati who I go with every year (can't miss that), so didn't see the end.

The match obviously could have gone either way. Two great players. Perhaps Federer would have done some peeing in Cheerios had he not had to contend with the entire physical and mental challenge of facing another great in the semis. Congrats to Djokovic -- a true champion, as they say. Likewise, Federer and Nadal. A good fortnight at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.

Image result for djokovic croquet at wimbledon

2 hours ago, 954gator said:

Well he was somewhat outplayed by a 37 year old Federer and honestly got lucky to win this last one.   

Federer is still a top 3 world player(Regardless of his age)

He was outplayed, and still found a way to win the match.  A true sign of a champion. 

Yesterday happened to be one of the worst times I've seen Joker return(He didn't get a break point till the 4th set), but he won the majority of the big points played. 

19 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Federer is still a top 3 world player(Regardless of his age)

He was outplayed, and still found a way to win the match.  A true sign of a champion. 

Yesterday happened to be one of the worst times I've seen Joker return(He didn't get a break point till the 4th set), but he won the majority of the big points played. 

If Novak had a killer serve it would be over for everyone.