Some California news

Ararar

Plans are in the preliminary stages to hold a CIF football summit in February to address declining participation in high school football in California, executive director Ron Nocetti said Tuesday.

The issue was brought up during a monthly conference call with the 10 section commissioners of the California Interscholastic Federation. The summit idea is to bring together all 10 sections, along with coaches, to address the issue that football participation has declined by more than 12,000 students over the last four years.

Nocetti said he wanted to see how the issues differed from school to school and section to section and seek ideas to reverse participation numbers back into the positive. A survey to seek information from students no longer playing football to determine why they stopped also could be possible.

“We want to start having conversations with our sections and representatives what we can do to help with the issue of declining numbers,” he said.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Unless JSerra is able to upset 1 or 2, the top 5 are unlikely to change that much.    I’ll bet 7 and 8 are feeling a little nervous lol.

I'm not entirely sure it works like that. I know in the past the CIFSS polls have been the primary factor for determining the top 4 seeds for the playoff brackets. However, in his letter earlier this year, Wigod stated:

The Football Selection Committee will utilize our At-Large selection criteria: head-to-head results from teams under consideration, overall won-loss record, strength of schedule, using the overall won-loss record of their opponents, strength of league, strength against common opponents, etc., to choose the 8 teams for Division 1.

These criteria are stated in more detail in the CIFSS Season Preview:

Criteria utilized by the At-Large Selection Committee:

(a) Head-to-head competition of teams under consideration (4 points)
(b) Overall strength of the league from which the team is entered (1 point)
(c) Overall win-loss record (1 point)
(d) Strength against common opponents (1 point)
(e) Strength of schedule (2 points, using overall win-loss record of opponents)

The CIFSS weekly polls are just votes from coaches and aren't required to follow any rigorous criteria other than perceived strength, so I think it's entirely possible that the top 8 in the final CIF weekly poll are not necessarily going to be the 8 teams that make the D1 bracket. Perhaps the room to maneuver is provided in the language "teams under consideration". For determining at-large teams, the "teams under consideration" are any teams without guaranteed entry into the playoffs by virtue of their league standing. For teams in D1/2 it may be that the "teams under consideration" are only the top 10 of the final CIFSS poll, or maybe "teams under consideration" include every team in D1/2... I'll guess we'll find out soon enough. I was planning on trying to crunch the numbers to project a D1 bracket, but I was going to wait until around week 8 given how much is still left to shake out.

• Thanks 2

The City Section expects the Los Angeles Unified School District to forward findings about its investigation into the Narbonne football program next month, City Commissioner Vicky Lagos said Tuesday. That’s the information passed on to the attorney representing the City Section, Lagos said.

LAUSD is on the verge of entering its sixth month of conducting an investigation into an allegation of academic misconduct. Football coach Manuel Douglas has been on temporary reassignment since May 31 while awaiting the outcome of the investigation. The principal, assistant principal and athletic director were all replaced for the new school year.

Douglas filed a lawsuit against the LAUSD this month, alleging the district has brought “false and unsubstantial” proceedings against him.

The City Section wants to know if there were any violations of City Section and CIF rules that could affect Narbonne’s placing in the Open Division football playoffs in November. Narbonne is 4-1 and heavily favored to win a sixth straight City championship.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ararar said:

The City Section expects the Los Angeles Unified School District to forward findings about its investigation into the Narbonne football program next month, City Commissioner Vicky Lagos said Tuesday. That’s the information passed on to the attorney representing the City Section, Lagos said.

LAUSD is on the verge of entering its sixth month of conducting an investigation into an allegation of academic misconduct. Football coach Manuel Douglas has been on temporary reassignment since May 31 while awaiting the outcome of the investigation. The principal, assistant principal and athletic director were all replaced for the new school year.

Douglas filed a lawsuit against the LAUSD this month, alleging the district has brought “false and unsubstantial” proceedings against him.

The City Section wants to know if there were any violations of City Section and CIF rules that could affect Narbonne’s placing in the Open Division football playoffs in November. Narbonne is 4-1 and heavily favored to win a sixth straight City championship.

It’s looking like SDCC and Nor Cal’s (Serra San Mateo) Chances just got a lot better in the D1AA game!!!!...🤣🤣🤣

Narbonne looks like a Monster Team this year and it has been interesting to watch as the Kids have played through all the turmoil and done well!!!... It will be interesting to see if they drop the hammer this year or next....

I would hope next year, these kids shouldn’t be penalized for the Mistakes of Adults!!....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, THEOC89 said:

It’s looking like SDCC and Nor Cal’s (Serra San Mateo) Chances just got a lot better in the D1AA game!!!!...🤣🤣🤣

Narbonne looks like a Monster Team this year and it has been interesting to watch as the Kids have played through all the turmoil and done well!!!... It will be interesting to see if they drop the hammer this year or next....

I would hope next year, these kids shouldn’t be penalized for the Mistakes of Adults!!....

It would be a shame if they didn’t let the kids go to the Playoffs...

my guess is that next year’s Lakewood and Ploy teams should be good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/24/2019 at 6:13 PM, dntn31 said:

I'm not entirely sure it works like that. I know in the past the CIFSS polls have been the primary factor for determining the top 4 seeds for the playoff brackets. However, in his letter earlier this year, Wigod stated:

These criteria are stated in more detail in the CIFSS Season Preview:

The CIFSS weekly polls are just votes from coaches and aren't required to follow any rigorous criteria other than perceived strength, so I think it's entirely possible that the top 8 in the final CIF weekly poll are not necessarily going to be the 8 teams that make the D1 bracket. Perhaps the room to maneuver is provided in the language "teams under consideration". For determining at-large teams, the "teams under consideration" are any teams without guaranteed entry into the playoffs by virtue of their league standing. For teams in D1/2 it may be that the "teams under consideration" are only the top 10 of the final CIFSS poll, or maybe "teams under consideration" include every team in D1/2... I'll guess we'll find out soon enough. I was planning on trying to crunch the numbers to project a D1 bracket, but I was going to wait until around week 8 given how much is still left to shake out.

It will be interesting as to how they fill it out. I talked to someone from the CIF offices and they did say that the CIF weekly poll will play a major role in the seeding. I think we can all agree who 1-5 is but 6-8 is up for grabs in my opinion 

• Like 3

Ethan Garbers goes 31-40 for 384yds & 4tds.

This puts him at 1,760yds & 24tds with 2ints in 5 games so far this year.

If I was Mike Leach I would be camping out in CDM's weightroom to try to flip this guy from Washington. 

This is helping prove my theory that Ethan Garbers & John Humphreys are the most dangerous QB/WR tandem in the country. 

• Like 1