Some California news

Ararar

4 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

don't forget Elias Ricks transferring out of MD to IMG, I believe the reason why he transferred was due to graduation requirements, that no doubt hurt MD's chances of a 3-peat a lot as well.

Not only did Ricks transfer to IMG, Darrion Green-Warren transferred to Narbonne also. Davies and Domani Jackson would have been the backups at corner if not for the transfers. 
IMO Davies is better than Green-Warren. Domani Jackson is actually the most physically gifted of all of them, including Ricks. But he got called WAY too many times for PI last season. Once he hones his skills Jackson will be a special player. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

On 5/19/2020 at 2:59 PM, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

don't forget Elias Ricks transferring out of MD to IMG, I believe the reason why he transferred was due to graduation requirements, that no doubt hurt MD's chances of a 3-peat a lot as well.

You are absolutely right.  AND Darion Green-Warren transferred out, too.  If those two top-10-in-the-nation CBs (with Ricks being #1) had remained, no DJ comeback, without question.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

Not only did Ricks transfer to IMG, Darrion Green-Warren transferred to Narbonne also. Davies and Domani Jackson would have been the backups at corner if not for the transfers. 
IMO Davies is better than Green-Warren. Domani Jackson is actually the most physically gifted of all of them, including Ricks. But he got called WAY too many times for PI last season. Once he hones his skills Jackson will be a special player. 

Agreed on Davies v Green-Warren, but DGW has a real sense for the ball that made up for his lack in the athleticism dept.

• Like 1

Mission Viejo football has lost its season-opening nonleague game w/ Konawaena because Hawaiian team can't make trip to O.C. due to #coronavirus The replacement:

@OLuFootball

, per

@diablocjohnson

of

@missionfootball

MV also facing

@ServiteFootball

in 2020

@ocvarsity

• Thanks 1

even though this HS has never won a natty in football, they came close like those public schools I mentioned, the Servite teams of the early 80's, and the 2009 Servite team that snapped the Mater Dei streak, I believe it finished ranked number 3 or 2 in the Nation, forget the exact details.

Even though I did not attend any of those high schools, i'm well acquainted with the MD-Servite rivalry because MD runs in my family, my cousins went there and my younger brother went there, and the church I go to, which is also an elementary and middle school, Holy Family Cathedral in Orange, CA, has long been one of the main feeder schools to Mater Dei and Servite. That made me become more acquainted with the rivalry.

I believe Steve Clarkson's son is the new QB for Bosco, but it's still a mystery who is going to replace Bryce Young as QB for MD.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ararar said:

Mission Viejo football has lost its season-opening nonleague game w/ Konawaena because Hawaiian team can't make trip to O.C. due to #coronavirus The replacement:

@OLuFootball

, per

@diablocjohnson

of

@missionfootball

MV also facing

@ServiteFootball

in 2020

@ocvarsity

I think there will be more games that will get cancelled with OOS teams 

• Like 1

I would bet they aren’t gonna end up playing St. Louis because Hawaii has a two week quarantine for any guest or people returning from the mainland. I just saw yesterday Mission Viejo was suppose to host a team from Hawaii and they no longer will play them. Instead they will be playing OLU. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

Monarch schedule according to Maxpreps. The St. Louis game is the date of when the Trinity showcase was scheduled. So therefore if MD is playing St. Louis, which all previous indicators said we are not, it would not be in Hawaii. 

8920CDD4-99AB-4642-AEC2-6D4AED844588.jpeg

LFG! Rollo’s second time playing on the island. I know the alumni will enjoy some island time and a W 🏆 🏆 🏆

32 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

LFG! Rollo’s second time playing on the island. I know the alumni will enjoy some island time and a W 🏆 🏆 🏆

MaxPreps is full of crap. Even Rollo’s wife said on the FB page that this schedule is not accurate. Lol. No chance in hell they are getting on a plane in September. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

As for the California Interscholastic Federation, the governing body for high school sports, the goal is to return to sports normalcy, but no one knows what that really means. This is still very much a fluid situation.. Never mind the speculation that hit Twitter and social media platforms this week that the CIF had decided and announced a plan for football to resume in September with no state playoffs. Bogus.

There is no such plan in place, yet. There is regular discussion between CIF director Ron Nocetti and the 10 section commissioners dotted across the state, a pool that includes some 1,500 high schools. Athletic directors across the state have met through Zoom online meetings to discuss the return to school and all sports. Everyone is on the same page of a cautious approach. 

“We’re putting out fires because some of the social media posts of a plan are completely false,” Nocetti said. “I have no idea where people are getting information. It’s a waiting game, and we don’t want to rush into any decisions. We’ve seen some decisions made too quickly (in regards to counties across the state or country reopening too fast) and then a back track If we were pushed to make a decision right now, today, it would likely be a decision that not all would like. It remains prudent for us all to wait and see.”

The CIF will not be influenced or driven by revenue or pressure. Some will read that comment and laugh as too many believe the CIF is only about financial gains and the heck with everything else. The CIF calls the shots for Northern and Southern California regional and state playoffs but it does not and will not step on the toes of individual school districts across the state on topics such as a return to practices and games.

Nocetti said it will be up to the principals of schools and superintendents to decide when high school sports facilities can reopen, which leads to the return of practices and games.

Here’s what makes it tricky: hot spots. 

In Los Angeles County, there is a shelter-in-place order until July. There are nearly 600 high schools in the Southern Section, the heart of that region. Some parts of the Bay Area also have COVID-19 hot spots. Not so much in Sacramento County, El Dorado County or Placer County, where the COVID-19 numbers are encouragingly low, all things considered.

Wheatland High announced Wednesday it has been given clearance by its district to start spring football drills next week. The Pirates of the Northern Section will jump at that chance, as will others in those small, one-high school towns, stretching to the Oregon border.

If this virus gets clobbered down during the scorching summer heat, there could be more divide and confusion. It can sizzle in Sacramento, Fresno, large parts of Southern California and right up through Siskiyou County. But what about San Francisco and up and down the coast, when it often gets colder in June, July and August with layers of fog?

It’s likely that some parts of the state could have schools engaging in early summer sports drills while others do not. We could also see some schools with a full 10-game football regular season and a playoff slate while other parts may not have that luxury if the coronavirus numbers do not drastically decline. 

Some parents across the state have considered moving their son to another state to play football. That’s ambitious, and not always easy to move to Utah, Arizona or Texas, rent a place for several months and implement your son into new surroundings. But it’s become that desperate for some to ponder it.

https://amp.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article242935416.html?__twitter_impression=true

• Thanks 3

On 5/20/2020 at 3:05 PM, MD87 said:

You are absolutely right.  AND Darion Green-Warren transferred out, too.  If those two top-10-in-the-nation CBs (with Ricks being #1) had remained, no DJ comeback, without question.

I believe Bryce Young even declined to be interviewed after the 2019 MD-Bosco rematch in the CIF title game, the year before, I remember Coach Negro did the same thing after the 2018 title game loss.