Some California news

Ararar

3 hours ago, Cossacks said:

There will not be football in California until spring 2021 at the earliest. I just don’t see it happening.

Several So Ca school districts have officially declared on line, or hybrid on line supplemented with less frequent school visits.

So far I know Servite has informed parents that they plan on regular attend school format, but haven’t heard anything about other privates yet. 

When someone comes up with a total shutdown defense, it should be called.....

Makai Lemon and Malachi Nelson, a QB and WR from Los Alamitos, it's saying that Malachi Nelson has a good chance to be the top ranked QB recruit in his class for 2023, and could form one of the best QB-WR duos in the nation. I hope thats the case, it's been almost 20 years since Los Al was relevant, legit like that, i remember Los Al used to have an awesome, great QB and WR lineage. 

I believe the last time they had an elite, WR that was nationally recruited, highly ranked, was Jeremy Childs, he was a very good WR. Same with QB for Jimmy Barnes. Just saying, even though i would love to see any California Public School win a National title, a Natty in HS football, Los Al is one program i would love to see achieve that.

This article says:https://www.maxpreps.com/news/-Z6t72d_SkSCjBz1XRZq9g/maxpreps-2020-preseason-sophomore-high-school-all-american-football-team-.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalFball said:

I seen this going around twitter yesterday. This would be interesting. Wonder if it would mean only league champs to playoffs? Doubt it though 

EEB8ED28-374F-4B2F-87CF-9C138198396F.jpeg

With a drastically reduced regular season it would make sense to dilute the playoffs as well.  Makes the MD/SJB game that much more interesting.  But, I would look for a couple at large berths to balance the brackets.  TL runner up can’t stay home

7 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

Makai Lemon and Malachi Nelson, a QB and WR from Los Alamitos, it's saying that Malachi Nelson has a good chance to be the top ranked QB recruit in his class for 2023, and could form one of the best QB-WR duos in the nation. I hope thats the case, it's been almost 20 years since Los Al was relevant, legit like that, i remember Los Al used to have an awesome, great QB and WR lineage. 

I believe the last time they had an elite, WR that was nationally recruited, highly ranked, was Jeremy Childs, he was a very good WR. Same with QB for Jimmy Barnes. Just saying, even though i would love to see any California Public School win a National title, a Natty in HS football, Los Al is one program i would love to see achieve that.

This article says:https://www.maxpreps.com/news/-Z6t72d_SkSCjBz1XRZq9g/maxpreps-2020-preseason-sophomore-high-school-all-american-football-team-.htm

I remember JT Snow was a former QB at LA and Rob Nen was a receiver.

On 6/24/2020 at 10:25 AM, Cossacks said:

Never have been the same since Grady left.

It is always fun to see the Alma Mater mentioned in these threads...

In regards to the previous posts on Loyola...

Well, after all, Steve Grady is a legend. He is the only man in California history to be both Player of the Year and Coach of the Year. 

Coach Grady led the Loyola Cubs for 29 years and made the playoffs in 28 Seasons (including to the quarterfinals or beyond every year from 1986-2004). 

Under Steve Grady, Loyola was the definition of consistent. From 1988-2003 Loyola earned a spot in the Division 1 Semi-Finals 11 times. The Cubs were always right there in the end. 

Obviously, things change with a new coach. Did the decision makers make the best call with their hiring. Absolutely not, as history has unfolded. 

Has Loyola ever been the same since Grady left? Of course not. But, they just needed to find the right fit for Loyola and what being the head coach for the Cubs entails. 

Loyola has a great leader of men running the football program. Drew Casani was the 1990 CIF Player of the Year at Stud Backer for Coach Grady. Casani went on to work for the 49ers and Rams as a scout and later UCLA. 

The Cubs were extremely young last year, but loaded with talent. Although, they were not Division 1, they did earn a playoff berth and advanced to the Championship game. 

It is a terrible situation the country is currently in, for the program full of kids that continue to work at building Loyola back up, this season was slated to be turning point with great Senior Leadership, ultra-talented juniors that shined as sophs.  

Just to name a few standouts...

Ceyair Wright #1 CB/ATH in CA with offers from everywhere

Zakhari Spears WR/DB 6’3 185 Washington Commit

Josh Long 6’5 225 DL Top 100 CA with over 5 D1 offers

Brayden Zermeno 6’4 215 QB with over 10 D1/IVY offers

Jacoby Kelly 6’3 185 WR with multiple D1 offers as a soph

Harrison Allen 5’10 175 RB Marcus Allen’s nephew 800+ yards 13 TDs

Tahj Owens 5’11 185 RB 750+ yards 7 TDs 

I’m sure the Loyola Cubs are holding out hope that they can display their squad this upcoming season (in any capacity) so Loyola can improve on their All-Time So Cal Victory List, which ranks behind only Long Beach Poly. 

Thing’s aren’t all doom and gloom at 1901 Venice Blvd. Looking forward to the next 150 years of Loyola Excellence!

“Getcha Popcorn Ready”

B4EC858D-A27F-4510-BD27-29E25E71DA15.jpeg

• Like 5

Chaminade HC Ed Croson is on board for football in the fall. I don’t think this happens but it can be done without fans, obviously. If the entire Trinity & Mission leagues + Sierra Canyon, Cathedral Catholic (SD), St. Aug (SD), Oaks, St Bernards, etc, (Just throwing power privates out there, CC/St.A are the just as far from MD as Oaks) we could have a season full of good games in the fall. Wouldn’t be an officially sanctioned CIF championship which is why I feel like this won’t happen, but it’s better than no football at all. There are a bunch of people that want to see a private only southern section championship anyway. I think this idea excites the public’s more than the privates and *if* there’s any chance it happens then we can probably expect the public schools to push for privates and public’s to compete for different championships going forward. I’d be more than happy to play the TL + Amat, Serra, Chaminade, Alemany etc... that’s a good schedule. 

1669475E-13FD-433B-B0A9-4B155B825F9A.jpeg

14 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

1669475E-13FD-433B-B0A9-4B155B825F9A.jpeg

That would be awesome. The problem is that even private schools would need to abide by Newsom’s mandate of which counties can resume school as on-line only. I can’t imagine football being played if students are not allowed on campus for classes. Even at privates. As much as I would love it, it football were to be played even if students were not on campus, that would be terrible optics and send a bad message IMO.

Now in the other hand, if students returned to campus but football was not permitted at various schools, I could fully see what Robledo says happening.

• Thanks 1

On 7/17/2020 at 4:42 PM, 1901VeniceCub said:

It is always fun to see the Alma Mater mentioned in these threads...

In regards to the previous posts on Loyola...

Well, after all, Steve Grady is a legend. He is the only man in California history to be both Player of the Year and Coach of the Year. 

Coach Grady led the Loyola Cubs for 29 years and made the playoffs in 28 Seasons (including to the quarterfinals or beyond every year from 1986-2004). 

Under Steve Grady, Loyola was the definition of consistent. From 1988-2003 Loyola earned a spot in the Division 1 Semi-Finals 11 times. The Cubs were always right there in the end. 

Obviously, things change with a new coach. Did the decision makers make the best call with their hiring. Absolutely not, as history has unfolded. 

Has Loyola ever been the same since Grady left? Of course not. But, they just needed to find the right fit for Loyola and what being the head coach for the Cubs entails. 

Loyola has a great leader of men running the football program. Drew Casani was the 1990 CIF Player of the Year at Stud Backer for Coach Grady. Casani went on to work for the 49ers and Rams as a scout and later UCLA. 

The Cubs were extremely young last year, but loaded with talent. Although, they were not Division 1, they did earn a playoff berth and advanced to the Championship game. 

It is a terrible situation the country is currently in, for the program full of kids that continue to work at building Loyola back up, this season was slated to be turning point with great Senior Leadership, ultra-talented juniors that shined as sophs.  

Just to name a few standouts...

Ceyair Wright #1 CB/ATH in CA with offers from everywhere

Zakhari Spears WR/DB 6’3 185 Washington Commit

Josh Long 6’5 225 DL Top 100 CA with over 5 D1 offers

Brayden Zermeno 6’4 215 QB with over 10 D1/IVY offers

Jacoby Kelly 6’3 185 WR with multiple D1 offers as a soph

Harrison Allen 5’10 175 RB Marcus Allen’s nephew 800+ yards 13 TDs

Tahj Owens 5’11 185 RB 750+ yards 7 TDs 

I’m sure the Loyola Cubs are holding out hope that they can display their squad this upcoming season (in any capacity) so Loyola can improve on their All-Time So Cal Victory List, which ranks behind only Long Beach Poly. 

Thing’s aren’t all doom and gloom at 1901 Venice Blvd. Looking forward to the next 150 years of Loyola Excellence!

“Getcha Popcorn Ready”

B4EC858D-A27F-4510-BD27-29E25E71DA15.jpeg

it reminds me, current NFL LB Anthony Barr, he went to Loyola HS, later played D-1 college football at UCLA, and he injured former MD, later USC QB Matt Barkley during one of the USC-UCLA games, tackled him pretty hard.

It also reminds me, Matt Barkley's freshman year at MD, that was the farthest he ever went in the playoffs in his HS career, he broke his collarbone in the quarterfinals, which occured by future USC teammate Allan Bradford, and had to sit out the semi-finals loss in 2005 to Loyola. Which was the last time Loyola won a CIF section title in FB, the year after Grady retired. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SoCalFball said:

Might as well and head to SC now lol 

43AD2DBE-79FE-4B87-8520-755A7D493AB2.jpeg

Sondy with another swing & miss. TK has been at MD for years. It’s not like he was at one school and left for MD and brought Miller with him. There was no “following” from one school to another. It’s going to hurt sondy’s feelings when he realizes BY had the same quarterback coach 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Sondy with another swing & miss. TK has been at MD for years. It’s not like he was at one school and left for MD and brought Miller with him. There was no “following” from one school to another. It’s going to hurt sondy’s feelings when he realizes BY had the same quarterback coach 🤣

Yeah the rule is you can’t follow a coach who left your school for another.Sondy hates MD with all his soul 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ararar said:

Yeah the rule is you can’t follow a coach who left your school for another.Sondy hates MD with all his soul 😂

Exactly. Nothing but click bait by Sondy. Moss didn’t ‘follow’ him anywhere because the coach was already at MD. If anything it would be ‘undue influence’ but absolutely no merit to say Moss followed him to MD. 

• Like 1

High school football participation continues decline in California 

Former Narbonne quarterback Roman Ale. Football participation in California declined for the fifth consecutive year, according to a CIF participation survey.

(Genaro Molina / Los Angeles Times)

By ERIC SONDHEIMER COLUMNIST  

AUG. 3, 2020

10:49 AM

Facebook

Twitter

LinkedIn

Email

High school football participation in California declined for the fifth consecutive year, according to the annual CIF survey.

There were 89,756 students who participated in 11-man football this past year, down from 91,305 the previous year. The last time there was a rise in football participation was 2015, when the number was 103,725.

Football remains the most popular sport in California.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Ararar said:

Manuel Douglas doing what he do

The family of senior QB Jackson Dadich has told Birmingham officials he's leaving for St. Bernard. He helped lead the Patriots to the City Section Open Division title. His father died this summer. Hope things work out.

Really tough to hear about his father’s passing. Unbelievably difficult. Wish him well. 

As for football, I was wondering when Manny Douglas was going to secure his QB, he filled his St. Bernard’s roster with guys from all across the state and the country. 

This will be Jackson Dadich’s 4th school. He began his high school career at Loyola...in the same freshman class as Miller Moss, Finn Collins and Pres Juarez. 

• Like 1