Some California news

Ararar

On 8/26/2020 at 3:06 AM, 1901VeniceCub said:

According to Niche, Mater Dei ranks 36th in California for “Best Catholic High Schools”. That is good enough for 5th place in the Trinity League. Not exactly the “Harvard of Orange County”. But, of course, the only school ranked lower is Servite. Which, I am sure is just alright for Monarch fans. 

Link: https://www.niche.com/k12/search/best-catholic-high-schools/s/california/?page=2

And ranks an overall A+ with Niche.  What else you got?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

Maxpreps still considers the 2001 DLS team, the best ever to come out of California, was posted 2 days ago:https://www.maxpreps.com/news/rSLObjVKlUWHuxViK7-KqA/picking-the-best-high-school-football-team-of-all-time-across-every-state.htm

Well done Maxpreps.  That team was a man among toddlers.  No disagreement here. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

of course, it will always be a matter of debate, would you say, Amon-Ra St. Brown, was the best WR MD had since Rod Perry of the 90's dynasty teams?

Also, what's up with Mater Dei quarterbacks not producing at the next level? Daniels and Barkley come to mind first.

2 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Also, what's up with Mater Dei quarterbacks not producing at the next level? Daniels and Barkley come to mind first.

Barkley was a four year starter at USC and has stuck around on an NFL roster for 7 years collecting a pay check that is more than most of us here earn. I can only hope that my son does ‘not produce’ like that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bodysurf said:

Barkley was a four year starter at USC and has stuck around on an NFL roster for 7 years collecting a pay check that is more than most of us here earn. I can only hope that my son does ‘not produce’ like that.

But jumping roster to roster doesn't make you a great QB. He died off after college.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Daniels skipped his senior year of high school to take over for Darnold at SC at 17 years old, the growing pains were expected. Tee Martin also had a lot to do with production. The SEC championship will feature two MD quarterbacks in the near future. Sit tight. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

same thing with Matt Leinart as well, despite winning the Heisman at USC, he was considered an NFL bust. But yes, Matt Barkley's streak of being a consister starter ended once he entered the Pro's, he was used to being a starter in his pop warner, junior all-american years, same thing with High School and College.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

Yes. Not a DB in his class that could cover him. Bru was also elite. For sure #1 & 2 for me. 

Without a doubt.  If CJ stays on the same trajectory, he could eventually be in the conversation, but yeah, ASB and Bru go 1,2 - no question (and yes, both are better than Rod Perry was).  Love those clips of ASB consistently burning Bookie in the Army AA warmups, and then humbling Patrick Surtain in the game itself.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

same thing with Matt Leinart as well, despite winning the Heisman at USC, he was considered an NFL bust. But yes, Matt Barkley's streak of being a consister starter ended once he entered the Pro's, he was used to being a starter in his pop warner, junior all-american years, same thing with High School and College.

Hold on now.  Pretty sure ng's talking college when he references next level, and Leinart couldn't have done any better at the college level, obviously.  To answer ng, yes, Barkley didn't live up to the hype at 'SC, but let's not forget that he had to deal with the NCAA death sentence one of those years, if memory serves, which has to have hurt recruiting and affected the atmosphere at SC.  

With regard to JT, of course, I would remind ng that he's got three years of eligibility, so any conclusion on his next level production is wildly premature.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Couldn’t agree more! 

Sorry, but couldn't DISagree more.  I lived in the Bay during the Streak, so had plenty of opportunities to watch the great DLS teams live.  MD 2017 was better.  Played a tougher schedule (beating 8 teams that cracked someone's national Top 25 that year - all by double digits) and still never trailed.  The super teams of the IMG, Bosco, MD and SFA era are on another level.  Just my opinion, of course.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, MD87 said:

Sorry, but couldn't DISagree more.  I lived in the Bay during the Streak, so had plenty of opportunities to watch the great DLS teams live.  MD 2017 was better.  Played a tougher schedule (beating 8 teams that cracked someone's national Top 25 that year - all by double digits) and still never trailed.  The super teams of the IMG, Bosco, MD and SFA era are on another level.  Just my opinion, of course.

I’m rolling with 2017 MD of course. Best team to ever come out of California. Too many weapons. My favorite stat from that year is that we put a running clock on the New Jersey state champ🤣 

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

I’m rolling with 2017 MD of course. Best team to ever come out of California. Too many weapons. My favorite stat from that year is that we put a running clock on the New Jersey state champ🤣 

That was truly a Once in a Generation team.  On top of the great skill players and LBers, the O-line had mostly 3 year starters.

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, HurricaneNick said:

the 2017 MD team, never trailing in a single game all-season long, was their most impressive stat.