Some California news

Ararar

Before 2012 , they played politics with awarding the Open rep from socal and norcal . In 2006 and 2007 , it was just called Div. 1 , no Open . Because of Poly griping about Cen10 being selected the 2007 rep, they implemented the Open in 2008 and just to be politically correct , they erroneously awarded Poly the Open rep in 2008 over that great Cen10 team . After that I think they pretty much got it correct with maybe the exception of Westlake over SM , but still may have gotten that right also . So in 2012 , they implemented the playin game where the 2 best teams played each other . This was to be a true determiner of a Socal Champ . After the Folsom rule ended the playin , they just moved everyone into same playoff brackett in 2014 , all the best teams . Hurricane said that MD made numerous cif finals , which  I took as him saying MD played in the " True " Socal finals , which was the playin game in 2012 and 2013 . That's  equivalent of playing in a North Coast section final up in Norcal , not a true   CIF determinant final like what took place in 2012 and what it has morphed into today

12 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

I'm not 100 % sure, but I think you are mistaken about MD's appearance in socal finals . 2012 , Cen10 beat Narbonne and Bosco in 2014 beat cen10 . JT was a junior in 2016 when MD was beaten in their first socal finals appearance since 1999 ? ( was that the year they tied Poly in final )

JT's junior year MD was the MNC.  So I am guessing they did not lose any games. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 9:21 PM, HurricaneNick said:

Can they? They obviously accept transfers ( & have a youth feeder team that practices on campus) so why haven’t they? I like how the “irrelevant” MD teams are still better than the usual teams at servite lmao. We made multiple playoff runs & played in multiple CIF championships before winning it all again, which is Insignificant for our program because we like to win, just reiterating the difference in standards. ( I know servite celebrates the games they almost won, see SJB last year)  But, tell your folks at servite to get on it. (If they can?)  Unfortunately they have poor coaching and facilities and do not attract big time players or transfers. It is what it is. They’ll always be little bro. Have been before the transfers, will be after them.  Looking forward to another 20+ years! 

which also reminds me, barely found out about it now, one of Servite's sister schools, Connelly, closed down, now it just has Rosary as it's sister school.:https://occatholic.com/saying-goodbye-to-cornelia-connelly-school/

• Sad 1

On 9/16/2020 at 5:02 PM, AztecPadre said:

That is one hell of a commute to have to go through daily.  Well once the in person schooling begins and football starts.  Latino QB's seem to be in fashion once again. lol

The family is from Huntington Beach and moved to the Los Angeles area before his junior year.  So no commute.  He played freshman and sophomore at Orange Lutheran.  I don’t  think he ever went to Mater Dei.  His film shows starting Frosh QB at Orange Lutheran and JV/ Varsity sophomore year at Orange Lutheran.  Mission Viejo?

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2020 at 9:02 PM, HurricaneNick said:

I’m not knocking the kid at all. As you know I don’t hate on a kid for transferring to a better opportunity. I do think if he was talented enough to lead either of the 3 teams mentioned he would not be at Loyola. Princeton is an elite move. Kid is doing it right, 40 year decision can’t beat that. 

& what division championship? I’m seeing 5th place in the mission league & a 6-7 record. Why did they only play 9 reg season games? (That’s what maxpreps is showing) 

I actually watched him play his sophomore year.  Kid is really good and was the backup and next in line to Ryan Hillinski his sophomore year.  Came in a couple games and scored I believe.  Very talented young QB.  Orange Lutheran lost all there skill players when 2019 class left so probably a good move that he transferred  despite being a Olu alumni. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2020 at 8:33 PM, 1901VeniceCub said:

I’m guessing you don’t know the story of Brayden Zermeno. Boy, what a terrific young man and leader! You should be humble, he had a cup of coffee with the Monarchs as a frosh. 

Zermeno is the quintessential Loyola Cub. A smart, multitalented, wholesome, faithful, young man with a desire to lead. 

No coach (Mater Dei, OLU, MV), gave him a shot to lead a team. During his sophomore year, Loyola hired Legendary Cub Alum and former NFL  Scout, Drew Casani as head coach, and former NFL WR Matthew Hatchette as the Cubs’ Offensive Coordinator. Very attractive ti QBs and athletes with next level aspirations.

Loyola was the unlucky recipient of the So Cal QB Transfer Carousel with Miller Moss transferring to Alemany (you guys were pretty pumped to take him until he was ineligible), Finn Collins to San Joaquin Memorial (now at Alemany), Jackson Dadich to Birmingham (now at St. Bernard with Manny Douglas) and two other QBs (Campbell Hall & Santa Monica).

A perfect home was empty for a humble leader like Zermeno to display his talent under a progressive Offensive Mind. As you admitted, Loyola-the school-is attractive to OC families as deep as Newport Beach and CDM.

Zermeno just recently committed to Princeton (Turning down offers from Maryland and SDSU & others), after leading Loyola to their Division Championship as a junior. 

I think Loyola with Zermeno as a returning  starter and team captain, along with  All-Americans Ceyair Wright (Top CB in CA) and Zakhari Spears (Washington Commit) alongside Jacoby Kelly (A Top ‘22 WR), two 6’5 Bookend defensive linemen, a big OL led by Sam Yoon ’22 (6’5 270) and two junior RBs in Harrison Allen (Marcus Allen’s nephew) and Tahj Owens (Terrell Owens’ nephew), Loyola is in good shape (fingers crossed we get a season) to win league and play for another Championship in Drew Casani’s 2nd year. 

4947828E-70BA-4CCD-99AF-C1199311E0B3.jpeg

47B0F4E3-5E40-448F-AE5E-F54B1031801F.jpeg

D546E754-C0C0-4800-80FE-65591EF4673C.jpeg

2CEEA39E-F133-4C90-97FD-44C80F4F114A.jpeg

The future is bright! Getcha popcorn ready! 

29BFDBD7-81E4-4ED5-AE4E-9226807B8707.jpeg

Great kid and very good QB.   Huge loss for Olu.  

On 9/25/2020 at 2:40 PM, AztecPadre said:

JT's junior year MD was the MNC.  So I am guessing they did not lose any games. 

17 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

Why is KC jacking MD’s drip?

But, but, but......no way MD was the best team in the country if they had to use a gimmick play to beat IMG!  Just like there's no way KC is the best team in the NFL if they had to use that same play to beat Balti....  Oh wait a minute....Never mind...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

Wow that came out of nowhere.  Awesome game to start the season in Cali!!!

That's a win for Alumbaugh, for sure.  Figuratively speaking, of course.  Don't think that DLS gets closer than 14, but might as well see where you fall short at the beginning of the season and work on it, rather than learn about it the hard way at the end.  Losing to SJB won't impact DLS's participation in the SBG, so why not?  Of course, they'll play an even better MD team in the SBG, but still can't hurt.

3 hours ago, covercorner said:

Heres something interesting -  its no secret MD also had week 1 opening and was seeking out games. So what does that say,  if DLS had their choice between MD or Bosco. I was told there was a Nor Cal team that was potentially ready to fill week 1 for MD.

Was it DLS?? 

Rollo would never pass up a chance to smack DLS and get closer to evening the score, so it must have been DLS's decision.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MD87 said:

Rollo would never pass up a chance to smack DLS and get closer to evening the score, so it must have been DLS's decision.  

Indeed. I do think DLS has a great shot against bosco though. They have a veteran QB that’s played in a bunch of big games. The MD bias in me likes to think Alumbaugh took the bosco game over MD because he anticipates playing Mater Dei in the final. 🤷‍♂️

14 hours ago, MD87 said:

Actually IMO... Rollo will never be able to even the score. Different and more emotional era, when MD/DLS started playing each other.   MD can steamroll DLS for the next 20 years but the scars from those original games will never leave Rollo.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, MD87 said:

That's a win for Alumbaugh, for sure.  Figuratively speaking, of course.  Don't think that DLS gets closer than 14, but might as well see where you fall short at the beginning of the season and work on it, rather than learn about it the hard way at the end.  Losing to SJB won't impact DLS's participation in the SBG, so why not?  Of course, they'll play an even better MD team in the SBG, but still can't hurt.

That is certainly a good analysis . It is like what SJB and MD do every year , play each other in regular season , get familiar with each other , and then play for real in playoffs . A loss or win doesn't really matter in regular season . Dela usually wants an elite  oos to play in regular seaso to help prepare for SBG , but this will do just fine

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1