Some California news

Ararar

1 minute ago, Cossacks said:

That’s a eap. Del Ray is probably too weak and Trinity they would just get smoked in and Angelus is a memory. I guess that would probably be the most ideal fit. 

We have seen what they have done with the basketball team.Im sure they are all in on building the football program the same

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Ararar said:

We have seen what they have done with the basketball team.Im sure they are all in on building the football program the same

That’s true for sure, but a hoops program is a lot less ambitious than football, just numbers wise and investment wise (although I know SC ain’t exactly poor 😂).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cossacks said:

That’s a eap. Del Ray is probably too weak and Trinity they would just get smoked in and Angelus is a memory. I guess that would probably be the most ideal fit. 

Yes, I couldn’t Imagine Sierra Canyon going to the Trinity just to be battling it out for 3rd or 4th Place....

The Mission league is the perfect place for them.... They can win that league and get a good seed in the playoffs so they don’t meet MD or SJB until the Semis or Finals.... They are already playing all those teams anyway....

And The Angelus League was some great Football!!!....🍻

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Speaking of Sierra Canyon basketball 

The Chatsworth Sierra Canyon basketballprogram had a Hollywood-like story to tell last season.

A film crew followed the team, and now a behind-the-scenes look at a championship season that featured the sons of LeBron James and Dwyane Wade is coming to Amazon’s IMDb TV as a six-part docu-series set to premier Feb. 26.

Entitled “Top Class: The Life and Times of the Sierra Canyon Trailblazers,” the series was put together by UNINTERRUPTED, executive produced by LeBron James and Maverick Carter.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Trailblazers had one of the most talented teams in the nation last year, led by current Stanford freshman standout Ziaire Williams and current Kentucky freshman standout BJ Boston.

The docu-series looks at how the team balanced the pressures of competing on a big stage while also trying to be high school students.

“You got the Lakers, you got the Clippers and you got Sierra Canyon High School” was the talk by some in Los Angeles during 2019-20.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

I heard  that Jake Retzlaff, the starting QB at Corona Centennial, broke his leg playing on a poor quality field recently and needed to have pins surgically inserted to put it back together. (Club football).

This is a tough break for the kid, but Covid really killed this kid’s chances of showing what he could do.  He got only 1/3 the reps last year and would likely have been the first clear single starter since McKee. He is a 2021 grad and wouldn’t have had a chance to play due to Covid, so club football was his best chance.

But, you have to wonder how many underclass men could hurt doing the club thing.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

I heard  that Jake Retzlaff, the starting QB at Corona Centennial, broke his leg playing on a poor quality field recently and needed to have pins surgically inserted to put it back together. (Club football).

Not true. But he did get hurt and would probably miss a spring season (if there is even one which I doubt) 

• Like 3

The most interesting part of that article was this:

Thom Simmons, a CIF Southern Section assistant commissioner and spokesman, said the section office began gathering information Sunday after learning of the contest.

“We are still looking into it,” Simmons said via email. “However, the decision to allow athletic teams to resume is an individual school/school district/private school decision, following the guidelines developed by the California Department of Public Health and local health authorities.”

Is this a wink, wink, nudge, nudge?

13 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

The most interesting part of that article was this:

Thom Simmons, a CIF Southern Section assistant commissioner and spokesman, said the section office began gathering information Sunday after learning of the contest.

“We are still looking into it,” Simmons said via email. “However, the decision to allow athletic teams to resume is an individual school/school district/private school decision, following the guidelines developed by the California Department of Public Health and local health authorities.”

Is this a wink, wink, nudge, nudge?

This actually good be the thing that separates Publics from Private.Some rumblings being heard

Ricky Rodriguez, the football coach at James Logan in Union City, said he’d heard rumblings about teams possibly going rogue but was blown away when he saw that a game was actually played. 

“I personally think that this could open up Pandora’s box and make some of these private schools feel that they’re going to be allowed to do these things,” Rodriguez said Monday. “Everybody interrupts the guidelines from the California Department of Public Health their own way and also the guidance that the CIF has sent out. 

“If School A interprets it as it is football season and if we can abide by these policies and they’re not going to be enforced by the California Department of Public Health, I can see a lot of schools who financially can handle potential litigation end up playing. 

“But from a public-school standpoint, I don’t see that happening at all. I personally wouldn’t be for that. … I just don’t think right now is the time to go out there and be rogue and put kids at potential risk without understanding the whole gamut of things and how we operate a game. I wouldn’t even know how to issue equipment right now. The fact that games are being played, I am pretty much blown away, to be honest with you.”

• Thanks 1

I am inclined to think that there is a difference of opinion between the CIF, and Newsome's policies. I'm betting the CIF does nothing if the two schools didn't violate CIF rules. They're gonna let Newsome fight his own battles.

P.S. Now may be the time for all the private schools to follow suit. Let's see Gruesome Newsome stop that, while he's got a recall effort hanging over his head.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Down 1