Some California news

Ararar

On 10/18/2021 at 4:31 PM, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

i find it interesting that, so far currently this season, the Servite QB has thrown for more yards than the MD QB has at the moment.

You’re correct. While they’ve also played more games (8/6), looking at avg per game have to give nod to Servite offense over MD, at least on paper (280yds/3.6TDs per vs. 220yds/3TD, respectively). Rushing similar too (180/177) and MD slight edge on SOS/margin.

What the stats don’t tell you is IF each QB can maintain those stats given Defense they’re facing. This is arguably MDs best Defense ever and they’re questions about Servite secondary. Plus, we’ll see how productive T-Mac is playing two-way. 

Prediction: Fifa might have more yards in air and perhaps more TDs, but Elijah QB rating will be higher as MD scores more points (WINS) with a balanced offense and fewer turnovers. 

1 hour ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

You’re correct. While they’ve also played more games (8/6), looking at avg per game have to give nod to Servite offense over MD, at least on paper (280yds/3.6TDs per vs. 220yds/3TD, respectively). Rushing similar too (180/177) and MD slight edge on SOS/margin.

What the stats don’t tell you is IF each QB can maintain those stats given Defense they’re facing. This is arguably MDs best Defense ever and they’re questions about Servite secondary. Plus, we’ll see how productive T-Mac is playing two-way. 

Prediction: Fifa might have more yards in air and perhaps more TDs, but Elijah QB rating will be higher as MD scores more points (WINS) with a balanced offense and fewer turnovers. 

Can't disagree too much, but I would rank MD's SOS as more than slightly better.  Bosco and DVille (and even Liberty, arguably) are better than anyone the school from Anaheim has played; Bosco and DVille better by far.  Which factors into both the QB and rushing stats. 

• Elijah, Liberty's Maiava, and SJB's Houser and Pierce are all higher ranked than Fifita, and anyone Anaheim school has faced.
  • Raleek, Ajon and Davison; DVille's Medlock and SJB's Speedy and Jabari are far better at RB than Houston, and anyone on Anaheim's schedule.
  • MD shut down Liberty's 4-star WR (Bernard) and Matayo U, who's ranked higher at TE than Keyan.  Yes, TMac's better than Bernard, but I actually think throwing someone (or multiple someones) at him other than Domani (who he's gotten used to) might be to our advantage.  CJ and Coop are also far better than anyone the Fry guys have faced so far.
  • Dville's and SJB's defenses are significantly better than SC's and light years better than anyone else Anaheim has faced.  And MD's might be its best D ever.  

No, rankings do not take team chemistry and the rivalry factor into account, but it is safe to say that, outside of TMac, MD has faced plenty of teams and players better than the Fry guys have seen yet this season, and they've seen nothing remotely close to MD.

That's why they play the game, though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SoCalFball said:

What’s something to watch is next week if Servite can beat Bosco I think Bosco could slide to 4 and you would have Bosco and MD on the same side in the playoffs. 

IF MD beats Servite, then either Servite or Bosco will finish the season with 2 losses. The question will be how would Calpreps rank a 2-loss team versus an undefeated Cen10? SOS factors immensely into the Calpreps rankings so unless the game is a blowout, a loss to MD/Servire/Bosco doesn't hurt your rankings much. Personally I think Cen10 should get the 3rd seed. As a MD fan I would prefer to see Cen10 get the 4th seed so that we can play them in the semifinals. I would not want to play both Servite and Bosco a second time. That is testing fate!

• Like 2

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=CA 

There’s a very good chance the top player in the state Domani Jackson heads to Michigan. It’s very likely USC misses out on the top 15 players in the state of California. David Bailey is going to Stanford. Embarrassing. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

As a MD fan I would prefer to see Cen10 get the 4th seed so that we can play them in the semifinals. I would not want to play both Servite and Bosco a second time. That is testing fate!

Couldn’t agree with you more here. Will definitely have to play at least one of them twice. One thing I’m curious about is where Cent10 truly stacks up this year. Would love to see them play Servite, feel like both those teams are now the measuring-stick for determining how far the distance really is between Tier 1 and Tier 3 (only teams remotely close to MD/Bosco). 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=CA 

There’s a very good chance the top player in the state Domani Jackson heads to Michigan. It’s very likely USC misses out on the top 15 players in the state of California. David Bailey is going to Stanford. Embarrassing. 

If I counted Correctly, even with Domani USC only has 3 of The Top 50….. Same Amount as CAL….. UCLA has 6…..

Not firing Clay Prior to this Year was a huge Mistake!!!…. You Nailed It, Embarrassing…..

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

One thing I’m curious about is where Cent10 truly stacks up this year.

Cen10 has had uncharacteristically slow starts against Cathedral, Sierra Canyon, Norco, and even JSerra.  They weren’t able to effectively run the ball consistently until the second half.  The passing game is still very much hit or miss.   They haven’t been able to get the ball to Riley or Denham in space often enough to present a challenge to the better teams. I think they have enough to possibly challenge Servite but MD and SJB are too deep.  

Having said that, they are running the offense faster than I think I’ve ever seen and the QB Carter is definitely a wildcard.  You have to account for him or he will burn you with his legs.  The second running back Hatcher has shown some ability to make a quick cut and disappear, just not frequently enough.

Without mistakes I would put them at best two scores below MD/SJB.  However, they’ve been barely avoiding multiple picks and we saw what happened a couple years back when MD corners went right to where they knew the ball would be going.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 8:51 AM, Bodysurf said:

IF MD beats Servite, then either Servite or Bosco will finish the season with 2 losses. The question will be how would Calpreps rank a 2-loss team versus an undefeated Cen10? SOS factors immensely into the Calpreps rankings so unless the game is a blowout, a loss to MD/Servire/Bosco doesn't hurt your rankings much. Personally I think Cen10 should get the 3rd seed. As a MD fan I would prefer to see Cen10 get the 4th seed so that we can play them in the semifinals. I would not want to play both Servite and Bosco a second time. That is testing fate!

It’s not so much a matter of the losses, but rather the “game performance” rating.

SJB’s loss to MD is actually slightly boosting their overall rating, not holding it back.  If the Friars can also hold the game to within 20 or so, both of these losses would be about neutral for both teams.

The actual game between Servite and SJB will have a lot more impact, but of course there are trickle effects from all of the other games played by their previous opponents.  For instance, DLS took a hit when Folsom lost, and by extension, so did St. Francis (Pittsburg took a nose dive)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, On2whls said:

Cen10 has had uncharacteristically slow starts against Cathedral, Sierra Canyon, Norco, and even JSerra.  They weren’t able to effectively run the ball consistently until the second half.  The passing game is still very much hit or miss.   They haven’t been able to get the ball to Riley or Denham in space often enough to present a challenge to the better teams. I think they have enough to possibly challenge Servite but MD and SJB are too deep.  

Having said that, they are running the offense faster than I think I’ve ever seen and the QB Carter is definitely a wildcard.  You have to account for him or he will burn you with his legs.  The second running back Hatcher has shown some ability to make a quick cut and disappear, just not frequently enough.

Without mistakes I would put them at best two scores below MD/SJB.  However, they’ve been barely avoiding multiple picks and we saw what happened a couple years back when MD corners went right to where they knew the ball would be going.

I think Carter should run the offense. Yes, slow starts are definitely a problem for Cen10 this year, but their secondary will be obliterated in the playoffs unless they improve dramatically. 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 9:36 AM, MD87 said:

safe to say that, outside of TMac, MD has faced plenty of teams and players better than the Fry guys have seen yet this season, and they've seen nothing remotely close to MD.

@Sammyswordman@Eddyr2 @Bodysurf

You’re totally right about SOS nod to MD, what’d I’d love to hear further analysis on are a couple of observations from their most recent matchup 6 months ago, which was a 7-point game

I realize Seniors from last year are gone, but it’s fair to say this year’s teams are Senior-heavy, esp. at skill positions, and this is definitely Servite’s best offense ever.

1. Stopping T-Mac. I would say Domani contained him and felt 1/2 of the PIs called last game were questionable (Refs were straight-up whistling a concerto), but Domani’s injured. Can T-Mac be contained 1on1? It’s not just safety overtop bc T-Mac torches zone cover on slants too. How?

2. MD O-line vs Servite D-line: Those stunts gave MD fits last year…I get Eli’s a year older/maturer (Soph-baller), but was trench-aspect of that game a fluke? Who’s lines got stronger this year? 

3. Dominant Raleek:  he’s special when he get’s going. Is he healthy?

1 hour ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

You’re totally right about SOS nod to MD, what’d I’d love to hear further analysis on are a couple of observations from their most recent matchup 6 months ago, which was a 7-point game

I realize Seniors from last year are gone, but it’s fair to say this year’s teams are Senior-heavy, esp. at skill positions, and this is definitely Servite’s best offense ever.

1. Stopping T-Mac. I would say Domani contained him and felt 1/2 of the PIs called last game were questionable (Refs were straight-up whistling a concerto), but Domani’s injured. Can T-Mac be contained 1on1? It’s not just safety overtop bc T-Mac torches zone cover on slants too. How?

2. MD O-line vs Servite D-line: Those stunts gave MD fits last year…I get Eli’s a year older/maturer (Soph-baller), but was trench-aspect of that game a fluke? Who’s lines got stronger this year? 

T-Mac is a problem. His length and vertical ability are tough to cover when Fafita just throws the ball up for grabs. It is not often that MD doubles somebody but it makes sense here. Burnett did not play last year either. He is a tough matchup for a linebacker since he has serious wheels for his size.

MD should be better prepared for stunts this year. In the second half you will probably start seeing MD's d-line taking control.

I also wonder why Raleek not has been used more. He was a workhorse against Bosco and I think he may have been banged up. He played last week so he should be ready to go. I hope we see a heavy dose of him. When they bring in another back I would like to see Raleek move to the slot, although Quincy has been effective there also.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

Spring season of football when Covid went crazy was such a stressful time for all of us especially Cali. Wouldn't surprise me if the refs were just stressed about life and they projected that energy to reffing

7 hours ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

1. Tmac is good and will make plays. That’s fine. Tmac goes both ways and has yet to cover anyone as talented as CJ or Coop.  

2. MD  is much better in the trenches. servites best lineman goes both ways. 

3. Raleek has taken a light load since Bosco. He’s ready to go and will get at minimum 20 carries this week. 

Monarchs will roll. I expect a tough half. Their scripted drives (first two series) will have success. That’s ok. That’s why we make adjustments. They’ve been prepping for MD since before their game with Helix. MD has to make a ton of mistakes to lose this one. A ton. MD 38 shs 21

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HurricaneNick said:

1. Tmac is good and will make plays. That’s fine. Tmac goes both ways and has yet to cover anyone as talented as CJ or Coop.  

2. MD  is much better in the trenches. servites best lineman goes both ways. 

3. Raleek has taken a light load since Bosco. He’s ready to go and will get at minimum 20 carries this week. 

Monarchs will roll. I expect a tough half. Their scripted drives (first two series) will have success. That’s ok. That’s why we make adjustments. They’ve been prepping for MD since before their game with Helix. MD has to make a ton of mistakes to lose this one. A ton. MD 38 shs 21

Did you see that 7 kid from SJB teabag Raleek? So classless lol