Some California news

Ararar

Just now, Extremely Humble said:

Yes DLS has a passing team. They're decent.

Regarding this topic, the reason MD and SJB are among the best teams in the country isn't necessarily because of their skill players. It's their lines. Very few teams can compete with all those enormous D1 linemen. It's really that simple. 

Exactly

I was joking about DLS, I would hope they have a passing league team. 

The difference is most definitely in the trenches. But it sure doesn't hurt to have the #1 RB, #2 CB, #6 WR, etc... I think as much as their lines it's their depth that sets them apart. It's tough to beat a team without a weakness, especially when you don't have a favorable matchup anywhere on the field. 

5 hours ago, Extremely Humble said:

Regarding this topic, the reason MD and SJB are among the best teams in the country isn't necessarily because of their skill players. It's their lines. Very few teams can compete with all those enormous D1 linemen. It's really that simple. 

Gospel

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 8:34 PM, HurricaneNick said:

It’s passing league. Doesn’t not matter even in the slightest. Last year MD was the best team in the country and they lost in the quarter finals of the Edison battle at the beach passing league tournament to a Santa Margarita team they beat in real football a few months later by 53 points. 

Hey 1 of your kids is at camp with gorman 

20 minutes ago, Antt said:

Hey 1 of your kids is at camp with gorman 

Nice. Starters on both sides are set for MD so maybe he can help Gorman. I’ve seen you guys are bringing in kids from all over. Saw an Arizona kid transfer to Gorman a few days ago. As to be expected though, you said they’re recruiting kids to come in just for the Mater Dei game. Can’t wait.

1 hour ago, HurricaneNick said:

Nice. Starters on both sides are set for MD so maybe he can help Gorman. I’ve seen you guys are bringing in kids from all over. Saw an Arizona kid transfer to Gorman a few days ago. As to be expected though, you said they’re recruiting kids to come in just for the Mater Dei game. Can’t wait.

Yeah I guess he's good but yeah definitely adding pieces 

On 5/19/2022 at 3:29 PM, Bodysurf said:

Gospel

Mater Dei also has excellent coaching and discipline. Them beating IMG was completely based on coaching ability. Serra, LBP, Narbonne are teams off the top of my head who have had top tier talent but haven't come close.

I remember reading an article from a Corona centennial player back when they played that he said Mater Dei was by far the most physical team he's played. Bishop Gorman said that as well. Bergen Catholic's Nunzio also said Mater Dei's physicality was far impressive. Obviously they're not a perfect program but it's worth noting.

Bishop Gorman is going to have a handful to deal with

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elliot Hulsez said:

Mater Dei also has excellent coaching and discipline. Them beating IMG was completely based on coaching ability. Serra, LBP, Narbonne are teams off the top of my head who have had top tier talent but haven't come close.

I remember reading an article from a Corona centennial player back when they played that he said Mater Dei was by far the most physical team he's played. Bishop Gorman said that as well. Bergen Catholic's Nunzio also said Mater Dei's physicality was far impressive. Obviously they're not a perfect program but it's worth noting.

Bishop Gorman is going to have a handful to deal with

We are loaded but we know what we are going up against and the kids want a NATTY so we have to play mater dei and we know they will be ready and we will make sure our kids are ready we are at camp all we so we will get alot of answers with transfers and starters but first we have to get through corner canyon 

12 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

Having a future Heisman winner at QB, the #1 RB on the west coast, the #1 athlete in the nation, and the best defensive backfield in history sure didn't hurt them.

To my knowledge their main runningback was Shakobe Harper, a 5'7 running back with one offer to play at Cal Poly. They had a few WRs Gardiner and Zamora who were undersized and had zero stars. The only offensive linemen they had worth noting was Myles Muraro a 4 star whos at Washington. The only guys were just team guys. Yet they beat IMG and SJB's best team in history with that offense. That is a phenomenal coaching job by their staff.

1 hour ago, Antt said:

We are loaded but we know what we are going up against and the kids want a NATTY so we have to play mater dei and we know they will be ready and we will make sure our kids are ready we are at camp all we so we will get alot of answers with transfers and starters but first we have to get through corner canyon 

Hope those Gorman boys develop good chemistry with the transfers. IMG has taught us all that transfers and heavy talent means nothing if they don't work together. Also, Miami Central brought in a handful of transfer studs but lacked any chemistry in their game against SJB

1 hour ago, Elliot Hulsez said:

To my knowledge their main runningback was Shakobe Harper, a 5'7 running back with one offer to play at Cal Poly. They had a few WRs Gardiner and Zamora who were undersized and had zero stars. The only offensive linemen they had worth noting was Myles Muraro a 4 star whos at Washington. The only guys were just team guys. Yet they beat IMG and SJB's best team in history with that offense. That is a phenomenal coaching job by their staff.

Sean Dollars accounted for 1,300 yards and 13 touchdowns for Mater Dei that year. Whether he was the #1 back or the #6 back, he was the top rated one on the west coast and a key part of the offense. 

A few WRs who were undersized with zero stars? Everyone has that. But not everyone has the other guys. Their top three receivers were Bru McCoy, who is easily one of the best football players I've ever seen and was a 5* and the consensus #1 athlete in the country, Mike Martinez (a 4* tight end who goes 6'6 250lbs and will likely start at UCLA this year), and Sean Dollars (#1 APB and will likely start at Oregon this year). 

Of their top six producing receivers, four were all-Americans. The other two were Harper (Cal Poly) and Gardner (Utah). Of their top nine offensive producers, six were all-Americans (one Heisman winner) and another was a four-year starter. All nine, needless to say, play college football. 

There was probably one team in the country with more talent that year, and that was IMG. Mater Dei was absolutely loaded. They had at least 18 players on that team who were all-state and/or all-American. Most schools won't have that many in 100 years. 

5 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

Sean Dollars accounted for 1,300 yards and 13 touchdowns for Mater Dei that year. Whether he was the #1 back or the #6 back, he was the top rated one on the west coast and a key part of the offense. 

A few WRs who were undersized with zero stars? Everyone has that. But not everyone has the other guys. Their top three receivers were Bru McCoy, who is easily one of the best football players I've ever seen and was a 5* and the consensus #1 athlete in the country, Mike Martinez (a 4* tight end who goes 6'6 250lbs and will likely start at UCLA this year), and Sean Dollars (#1 APB and will likely start at Oregon this year). 

Of their top six producing receivers, four were all-Americans. The other two were Harper (Cal Poly) and Gardner (Utah). Of their top nine offensive producers, six were all-Americans (one Heisman winner) and another was a four-year starter. All nine, needless to say, play college football. 

There was probably one team in the country with more talent that year, and that was IMG. Mater Dei was absolutely loaded. They had at least 18 players on that team who were all-state and/or all-American. Most schools won't have that many in 100 years. 

Yes. Ofc MD has talent. But what I'm saying is, a lot of people assume they have IMG, SFA, STA, Gardena Serra type of talent where every single player on the field is a D-1 player.

In 2013, Gardena Serra had Adoree Jackson and 9+ players in the NFL (I'm counting practice squad) with every player going D-1. They lost to Chaminade 38-35 and almost lost to Desert Ridge 28-22 that year at home. You're telling me that would happen to MD? Not a chance.

MD's best DB last year was Cam who is considered a 3 star and is going to Cal. They also had a 5'9 160 pound corner. There's no way IMG or SFA would have those type of kids at their DB positions

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

Dollars played second fiddle. As did Criddell. Many posters, I’m sure yourself included love to rave about those two heading back to RC to finish school but can’t comprehend that they came in expecting to be the “men” and Dollars never started and Criddell was pulled and replaced for blowing an assignment against St John Bosco in the first game. The kid that knows the assignment and performs the best will always play at Mater Dei. RJ Fineanganofo is 5’10 220 lbs and started on the DL on the national championship team over national recruits Aydin Breland (6’5 290) Kaho Tuihalamaka (6’5 330) and Jesus Venegas (6’4 270) because he did the job better. RJ has no offers. The other 3 have probably 20-30 D1 offers combined. You are right that the only roster more talented than MD was IMG, (maybe Bosco) but imo the gap was fairly wide, Bryce wasn’t the heisman winner when he was 17 playing against IMG. They were 2 D1’s deep at every position. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HurricaneNick said:

RJ Fineanganofo is 5’10 220 lbs and started on the DL on the national championship team over national recruits Aydin Breland (6’5 290) Kaho Tuihalamaka (6’5 330) and Jesus Venegas (6’4 270)

Is Kaho gone? People were saying on various boards that he was kicked out of MD but I have never read anything official that confirms this.

3 minutes ago, Bodysurf said:

Is Kaho gone? People were saying on various boards that he was kicked out of MD but I have never read anything official that confirms this.

100% still at MD. He just visited Oregon with Elijah Brown and Jack Ressler. Oregon staff pitched the visit as continuing the pipeline from MD to Oregon. Ex Monarch Keyon Hudson was his host. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Elliot Hulsez said:

Hope those Gorman boys develop good chemistry with the transfers. IMG has taught us all that transfers and heavy talent means nothing if they don't work together. Also, Miami Central brought in a handful of transfer studs but lacked any chemistry in their game against SJB

Guess we will see we had a good spring padded practice and we are at a great camp and there's 1 top 25 team here and 2 top 50 but it's telling us alot about what we got and who's fitting in and we return everyone but 5 starters 

2 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Dollars played second fiddle.

I never said any different. But your second fiddle had more YPC than your first, and scored more often, too. He didn't put the effort in, but he sure as hell produced during games. 

2 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

As did Criddell. Many posters, I’m sure yourself included love to rave about those two heading back to RC to finish school but can’t comprehend that they came in expecting to be the “men” and Dollars never started and Criddell was pulled and replaced for blowing an assignment against St John Bosco in the first game. The kid that knows the assignment and performs the best will always play at Mater Dei. RJ Fineanganofo is 5’10 220 lbs and started on the DL on the national championship team over national recruits Aydin Breland (6’5 290) Kaho Tuihalamaka (6’5 330) and Jesus Venegas (6’4 270) because he did the job better. RJ has no offers. The other 3 have probably 20-30 D1 offers combined. You are right that the only roster more talented than MD was IMG, (maybe Bosco) but imo the gap was fairly wide, Bryce wasn’t the heisman winner when he was 17 playing against IMG. They were 2 D1’s deep at every position. 

I never mentioned Criddell. I never mentioned RC. I never said there aren't good football players there who outperform highly touted recruits. And clearly Young wasn't the Heisman winner at 17, but he was still the best high school quarterback I've ever seen. And I'm sure you'd say the same. Dollars started every game, just not at RB. Which was probably the right personnel decision regardless.

I didn't say anything that could be remotely construed as negative. I did nothing but talk about how talented the team was and you just decided to hop on and tell me I love to rave about a kid and a school I never mentioned and that I can't comprehend that some kids transfer in thinking they're better than they are? I mean... ok. 

4 hours ago, Elliot Hulsez said:

Yes. Ofc MD has talent. But what I'm saying is, a lot of people assume they have IMG, SFA, STA, Gardena Serra type of talent where every single player on the field is a D-1 player.

In 2013, Gardena Serra had Adoree Jackson and 9+ players in the NFL (I'm counting practice squad) with every player going D-1. They lost to Chaminade 38-35 and almost lost to Desert Ridge 28-22 that year at home. You're telling me that would happen to MD? Not a chance.

MD's best DB last year was Cam who is considered a 3 star and is going to Cal. They also had a 5'9 160 pound corner. There's no way IMG or SFA would have those type of kids at their DB positions

Yo, Elliot!

Over the last six or seven years, they've had more talent than all of those teams except IMG. SFA may have been more talented once or twice, but not the five or six other years. Serra always has several top talents on their team, but they don't have the depth. I don't believe the 2013 team had 9+ players make it to the NFL. 

Cam Sydney was about as good a high school corner as you could hope for. He doesn't have the four star measurables, but so what? And on top of being a four-year starter, the 5'9 160lb kid got a full ride to a top 25 caliber program. I bet my life that SFA and IMG have had worse players at the DB position. But I'm sure they were big and fast and could bench a lot. 

Speaking of Serra's talent, their 2009 team had four future NFL players at WR alone -- Paul Richardson, Marqise Lee, Robert Woods, and George Farmer. Farmer was the least successful and he hung around on practice squads for several years. He was also the #1 WR in the 2011 class. 

1 hour ago, GoBigBlack said:

Yo, Cam Sydney was about as good a high school corner as you could hope for. He doesn't have the four star measurables, but so what? And on top of being a four-year starter, the 5'9 160lb kid got a full ride to a top 25 caliber program. 

*5’10** my bruv (joke), but agree completely. 

1 hour ago, GoBigBlack said:

I never said any different. But your second fiddle had more YPC than your first, and scored more often, too. He didn't put the effort in, but he sure as hell produced during games. 

I never mentioned Criddell. I never mentioned RC. I never said there aren't good football players there who outperform highly touted recruits. And clearly Young wasn't the Heisman winner at 17, but he was still the best high school quarterback I've ever seen. And I'm sure you'd say the same. Dollars started every game, just not at RB. Which was probably the right personnel decision regardless.

I didn't say anything that could be remotely construed as negative. I did nothing but talk about how talented the team was and you just decided to hop on and tell me I love to rave about a kid and a school I never mentioned and that I can't comprehend that some kids transfer in thinking they're better than they are? I mean... ok. 

I lov3 you 

• Haha 1