Some California news

Ararar

Just now, HurricaneNick said:

Liberty. Played MD last year. 

I know Liberty broke the ice and got by BG a few years ago in the playoffs, and have had some more competitive teams, but they are not deserving of being mentioned alongside BG as nationally relevant yet.

Looks like last year they played one OOS game and lost (MD...to be expected), and lost to Gorman in Nevada. Then they didn't play in '20. During the '19 season is when they eliminated BG in the playoffs, but early in that season they lost their first 5 games against OOS competition. In '18, they beat Saguaro, AZ, but lost their other 2 OOS games, and lost 2 more in Nevada, including to Gorman. In '17 they beat Saguaro, lost to American Heritage, beat Alta, UT, then lost to BG in Nevada.

So I don't think winning 1 time against Gorman makes a team nationally relevant. Saguaro ain't bad, and those are good wins for Liberty, definitely regionally relevant, but...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

I know Liberty broke the ice and got by BG a few years ago in the playoffs, and have had some more competitive teams, but they are not deserving of being mentioned alongside BG as nationally relevant yet.

Looks like last year they played one OOS game and lost (MD...to be expected), and lost to Gorman in Nevada. Then they didn't play in '20. During the '19 season is when they eliminated BG in the playoffs, but early in that season they lost their first 5 games against OOS competition. In '18, they beat Saguaro, AZ, but lost their other 2 OOS games, and lost 2 more in Nevada, including to Gorman. In '17 they beat Saguaro, lost to American Heritage, beat Alta, UT, then lost to BG in Nevada.

So I don't think winning 1 time against Gorman makes a team nationally relevant. Saguaro ain't bad, and those are good wins for Liberty, definitely regionally relevant, but...

Completely agree. 

5 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

They beat Westlake in ‘16 and that is one of those wins that they seemed to get a lot of mileage out of.

I’d say it’s definitely borderline if they are nationally relevant. I do love the aggressive scheduling they do, but also it’s one thing to schedule good, but you do have to win a couple of those. But I think on any given year they could be possibly nationally relevant team.

12 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

They beat Westlake in ‘16 and that is one of those wins that they seemed to get a lot of mileage out of.

I’d say it’s definitely borderline if they are nationally relevant. I do love the aggressive scheduling they do, but also it’s one thing to schedule good, but you do have to win a couple of those. But I think on any given year they could be possibly nationally relevant team.

They've made a run at it, but not sure if they've gotten there.

Some, though, would consider them nationally relevant simply for scheduling OOS games, not necessarily winning them. And include them in some tier or another.

image.thumb.png.3b38199eebcfa13877b21c0b2dbd41d2.png

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

Some, though, would consider them nationally relevant simply for scheduling OOS games, not necessarily winning them. And include them in some tier or another.

Hilarious and spot on. Yes you get a golf clap for scheduling big, but you don’t get the standing O until you bring home the W’s.

And we’ve moved on to “echelon” for the terminology here 😂. Upper, middle, lower etc 😂.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

With 4 of 5 returning on the OL and a rising senior with P5 offers replacing the only guy to leave, I’m comfortable we’ll be able to run the ball.

This will probably be the best line Mater Dei has ever had, and they have a 5-star RB in addition to a 4-star QB and elite WR group to open things up. I’m comfortable MD will be able to run the ball, too. Just a hunch.

10 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

I just watched the Central game. Special teams cost them big time with the blocked punt and missed FG. Who replaces Cyrus moss? 

Dylan Tulloch had a day against BG defense. You’re going to have to make Elijah way more uncomfortable. No way that kid should have had thrown for 230 yards against Gormans secondary. Does #4 return? Couldn’t find his name on the roster. 

Miami central was a great time kept getting better every week I think after the first 2 losses they dominate but bg was freshman sophomores, juniors so young so made that game tougher than it should've been 

Bg is big on special team's besides Hamilton it help us win alot of games over the year's 

#4 is gone graduation 

Has a tough kid to replace Cyrus but it's like replacing Bailey that's tough losing Cyrus and Jake Taylor hurts but those are once in a generation player's 

1 hour ago, GoBigBlack said:

This will probably be the best line Mater Dei has ever had, and they have a 5-star RB in addition to a 4-star QB and elite WR group to open things up. I’m comfortable MD will be able to run the ball, too. Just a hunch.

Agree with everything but the WRs going to have to show up this year otherwise load the box and take your chances but the OLINE SMH FREAKS 

1 hour ago, maxchoboian said:

My original reply was @On2whls because he did not take into account how small of a state Nevada is. So yes Gorman will probably win 9 out of every 10 NIAA championships. Gorman is in a very similar situation as Trinity HS from Kentucky. 

The fact that @Cossacks @HurricaneNick and others knew that I was implying Liberty High means that yes they have earned national recognition. And Calpreps did rank Liberty as #137 in the nation in 2021. And #163 in 2017. Other publications have ranked them in the top 100 preseason polls over the last 5 years or so (before and after Covid).

Liberty HS opened in 2003 and they have done very well over that short time frame. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

My original reply was @On2whls because he did not take into account how small of a state Nevada is. So yes Gorman will probably win 9 out of every 10 NIAA championships.

The fact that NV is a state with not that many teams, and lack of highly competitive programs is precisely why a program with the capability of Gorman will win just about every year.  That’s why I made the statement. 
It is good to see Liberty doing well.  The two times they visited Cen 10 it was clear they had plenty of size and speed.  The first time, they were way bigger than Cen10 up front on both sides of the ball but were their own worst enemy with execution.  The second time they hung pretty well at times but weren’t consistent enough and it seemed like every time they stalled, Cen 10 capitalized. They reminded me of Pittsburg.  Lots of talent but needed to be better sewn together.  It looks like they’re committed to improvement.  It’s always good to see more good competition and they’ve proven they aren’t scared to lose in order to get better.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, On2whls said:

The fact that NV is a state with not that many teams, and lack of highly competitive programs is precisely why a program with the capability of Gorman will win just about every year.  That’s why I made the statement. 
It is good to see Liberty doing well.  The two times they visited Cen 10 it was clear they had plenty of size and speed.  The first time, they were way bigger than Cen10 up front on both sides of the ball but were their own worst enemy with execution.  The second time they hung pretty well at times but weren’t consistent enough and it seemed like every time they stalled, Cen 10 capitalized. They reminded me of Pittsburg.  Lots of talent but needed to be better sewn together.  It looks like they’re committed to improvement.  It’s always good to see more good competition and they’ve proven they aren’t scared to lose in order to get better.

TBH there are not that many public schools in America that are aggressive in OOS scheduling. The ones that come to mind are Miami Central, Corona Centennial, Liberty (NV) and formerly Cocoa (FL) before they changed coaches. You have to respect and applaud the public schools that are willing to schedule the likes of IMG, MD, etc. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 11:07 AM, BB bos said:

Must be painful to watch what's going on in California.

Huh? Its not that hard to figure out. its already been going on for decades in Basketball.

If a high school kid has earned the ability to pick his spot why not.

Getting to travel out of state and at minimum 6 games on TV ....Prom @ Sofi stadium.

Exactly.  Change the damn rules if you don't like it.

On 6/17/2022 at 9:29 PM, HurricaneNick said:

This kid has 15 offers already. Sondheimer and all you other screw jobs would lose your mind if Mater Dei had anything close to the transfer load bosco has had this off season.  

Fact.  Sondy's a hypocrite and a one-trick pony.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Antt said:

They won the state championship and beat everyone they played is what it but that's last year 

Yes, but they didn't play a top 10 team in Florida to win it(They didn't play any top 10 Florida team last year) Winning a state championship is nice,  but every states degree of difficulty differs when they divvy up powers in different divisions. Just saying they won a State championship isn't impressive

24 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

Yes, but they didn't play a top 10 team in Florida to win it(They didn't play any top 10 Florida team last year) Winning a state championship is nice,  but every states degree of difficulty differs when they divvy up powers in different divisions. Just saying they won a State championship isn't impressive

Agreed.  Every football state needs an open division.  CIF takes plenty of crap, but damn, they got that one right.  Nuts how a Westlake and North Shore (and GA's and FL's top teams) don't have to play each other.  

1 hour ago, MD87 said:

Dude hasn't seen anything close to MD's D.  Shock and awe.

Definitely won't be in awe but we know what we are up against and we gave you guy's your credit time to play and we ready we know you guy's will be basically every position is D1 on D1 YALL LOADED WE LOADED 

• Like 1