Some California news

Ararar

On 7/1/2022 at 3:44 PM, HurricaneNick said:

Dismiss every legendary running back performance because little @GoBigBlack says so! Let’s listen to a legend talk about his performance, not a bum. “I don’t care if the Green Bay packers were on the field that night, Groots was not going to let his team lose.” 

How many times did Matt Grootegoed fumble the ball? A “legendary” number…

On 7/1/2022 at 6:07 PM, MD87 said:

Like hell it didn't.  (And where have you seen any "criteria listed" by either of those publications?  Please post them.)  If Poly - which was also undefeated, ranked #2 going into the game, and with a better SOS than DLS due to the SS playoffs - had beaten MD by 2-3 TDs, you sure as hell better believe Poly would've finished #1.  Fifteen dudes from DLS traveled to SoCal for the game.  To cheer on LBP, undoubtedly. Sure.

I Get your point but I disagree…. 

Natty’s are handed out on Paper by The Media and Not won on the field…. DLS had the National Winning Streak Record so Once they Beat MD they were getting handed “The Natty” by The Media, no matter what, as long as they didn’t lose….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, THEOC89 said:

I Get your point but I disagree…. 

Natty’s are handed out on Paper by The Media and Not won on the field…. DLS had the National Winning Streak Record so Once they Beat MD they were getting handed “The Natty” by The Media, no matter what, as long as they didn’t lose….

ya, even though they do give out Natty championship rings, even though there is no official National Championship game for HS football.

On 6/30/2022 at 6:33 PM, Cossacks said:

It didn’t matter. De La Salle was number one in the state and country when they beat MD and they did not lose the rest of the year. LBP was not gonna jump them iif they won out, which they did, it was a done deal.

They don’t use comparative scores to leapfrog teams, I’ve never see that criteria listed ever from CalHi or USA Today? 

On 7/1/2022 at 6:07 PM, MD87 said:

Like hell it didn't.  (And where have you seen any "criteria listed" by either of those publications?  Please post them.)  If Poly - which was also undefeated, ranked #2 going into the game, and with a better SOS than DLS due to the SS playoffs - had beaten MD by 2-3 TDs, you sure as hell better believe Poly would've finished #1.  Fifteen dudes from DLS traveled to SoCal for the game.  To cheer on LBP, undoubtedly. Sure.

Haha 20+ years later I was curious on how this would play out and if we could get any insight with the rankings.

Never done it before, but I emailed Ronnie Flores at CalHi the other night to see if he could give any input. Dude was cool enough to respond back. Here’s my question and his reply. Just helps with some ranking perspective on what possibly could have happened had LBP beat MD. In the end it’s rankings so it’s just opinion, like @THEOC89pointed out, they’re all mythical titles

2386C34B-6765-4472-AF94-6F492194149E.jpeg

2B997632-FA5F-456B-9C31-BE6D68C32EB2.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cossacks said:

Haha 20+ years later I was curious on how this would play out and if we could get any insight with the rankings.

Never done it before, but I emailed Ronnie Flores at CalHi the other night to see if he could give any input. Dude was cool enough to respond back. Here’s my question and his reply. Just helps with some ranking perspective on what possibly could have happened had LBP beat MD. In the end it’s rankings so it’s just opinion, like @THEOC89pointed out, they’re all mythical titles

2386C34B-6765-4472-AF94-6F492194149E.jpeg

2B997632-FA5F-456B-9C31-BE6D68C32EB2.jpeg

Nice Work Brother!!!…🤣

I was thinking that I don’t ever remember a #1 ranked HSFB team ever being dropped without losing…. It’s not like the College BCS/Playoff situation where there is a formula and rankings change based on that…. 

4 minutes ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

What happened to Groots after high school? He had some amazing performances in his jr and sr years. He was a smaller version of Mike Alstott. 

He was a 3-4 year Starter at USC at SS and LB…. Dude was Awesome…. Just did not quite have enough Size to play LB in the NFL and not quite fast enough to play DB in the NFL…..

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

Nice Work Brother!!!…🤣

I was thinking that I don’t ever remember a #1 ranked HSFB team ever being dropped without losing…. It’s not like the College BCS/Playoff situation where there is a formula and rankings change based on that…. 

That definitely settles how CalHi works (thanks for researching), but undoubtedly different orgs have different criteria, as I'm pretty sure North Shore jumped MD at Maxpreps in the final week of the season in 2018, even though MD and NS both won their final game.  @HurricaneNick, do you recall?  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

He was a 3-4 year Starter at USC at SS and LB…. Dude was Awesome…. Just did not quite have enough Size to play LB in the NFL and not quite fast enough to play DB in the NFL…..

Yeah definitely a tweener that description fits him to a T.

Reminds of another old Trojan, Scott Ware. Used to watch him destroy people in high school as a DB and junior college. Just not fast enough for a safety and a little small for a LB to play on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MD87 said:

That definitely settles how CalHi works (thanks for researching), but undoubtedly different orgs have different criteria, as I'm pretty sure North Shore jumped MD at Maxpreps in the final week of the season in 2018, even though MD and NS both won their final game.  @HurricaneNick, do you recall?  

Shit man I can remember that ‘98 game like yesterday  and every WS and Super Bowl champion from 1966 through the early 90’s and major CFB and NBA titles during that era. But newer stuff from the past few years it’s literally all a blur. I don’t remember 2018 season all that well. I still gotta ask my kids, “Is that Blackberry and Miley Cyrus still a big thing? 😂

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, MD87 said:

In 2018 NS did indeed jump MD in the final ranking in the USA Today. That was pretty egregious since MD beat the #1 team in the country in Bosco. USAT justification was the MD had 2 loses (forfeit to Amat and they lost by 18 points in the regular season to Bosco). USAT held the forfeit loss against them.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, MD87 said:

2 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

In 2018 NS did indeed jump MD in the final ranking in the USA Today. That was pretty egregious since MD beat the #1 team in the country in Bosco. USAT justification was the MD had 2 loses (forfeit to Amat and they lost by 18 points in the regular season to Bosco). USAT held the forfeit loss against them.

The Difference in 2018 was that MD was not The #1 team in the USAT poll, SJB was….. Had SJB finished undefeated they would have been #1 regardless of the NS win….

Once the #1 in a poll team loses, that is where others can jump up, especially if a #3 team has a big win and is undefeated like what happened with NS…..

31 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

The Difference in 2018 was that MD was not The #1 team in the USAT poll, SJB was….. Had SJB finished undefeated they would have been #1 regardless of the NS win….

Once the #1 in a poll team loses, that is where others can jump up, especially if a #3 team has a big win and is undefeated like what happened with NS…..

MD was ranked above NS in the USAT prior to both their championship games. MD then beat #1 SJB and was still jumped by NS who beat DV on a last second miracle. That is ridiculous. Doesn't matter since MD was ahead of NS in the other polls.

2 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

MD was ranked above NS in the USAT prior to both their championship games. MD then beat #1 SJB and was still jumped by NS who beat DV on a last second miracle. That is ridiculous. Doesn't matter since MD was ahead of NS in the other polls.

I am in agreement with you…. NS should not have jumped MD in that poll…. The only team that had a case for that was DV because they beat Allen who was very good that year and had they beat NS then I could understand the argument that DV would be #1 holding wins over Allen and NS who were all top 10 teams….

My main point with the rankings is that unless the #1 team loses, they will never be Jumped no matter what kind of win another team has…. Because HSFB polls are not like college polls where they are voted on every week by a group or writers/Coaches….

HSFB polls and made by individual persons who have their opinions and most don’t even watch these teams play…..

Also, in 2018 MD would have beaten NS, DV, Allen and Whoever else anyone wants to put in there…. The loss to SJB was a Total Fluke due to the circumstances surrounding the game….. MD had a letdown after Beating IMG and the game being moved to Saturday because of a freak lightning storm in So Cal….

• Like 1

Angelus League Transfer News...

Allen (TX) Senior RB transfers to St Francis. Devyn Turner (5’9 190) rushed for over 1,000 yards (8.6 ypc) and 19 TDs vs Texas competition last year. The new St Francis RB currently holds offers from WAZZU and UNLV.

Loyola beat rival St Francis last year 6-3, earning the Angelus League Crown. St Francis will play at Loyola the final week of the regular season. 

The Cubbies lost one of their top offensive threats to the transfer portal this week. Baylin Brooks 6’2 195 Senior WR (SDSU Commit) transferred to Pasadena. There’s a long line of Pasadena to Loyola kids, which the public school staff has been regathering some of those previous private school players, including Indiana Wijay (Chaminade QB Transfer) and Brooks, among others. 

With Brooks transferring, the Pasadena-Loyola game week 4 will be very interesting. 

Meanwhile, Loyola has been relying on their “brick by brick” mantra. And the foundation is always the OL. Four of 5 starters up front return for the Cubbies. This year’s Loyola OL averages 6’5 275. I’m good with that. 

D87F1F37-95C1-4548-9900-3C443A2BD6E8.jpeg.b8069d460831f46106f3e6a1a1202759.jpeg

Los Alamitos’ defense has received a major addition who could make the Griffins a stronger contender in Division 1 this fall.

T.A. Cunningham of Johns Creek in Georgia, the No. 1-rated junior defensive lineman in the nation by 247Sports, has enrolled at the Sunset League school, Griffins football coach Ray Fenton confirmed Thursday.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 10:05 PM, GoBigBlack said:

How many times did Matt Grootegoed fumble the ball? A “legendary” number…

How dear you!

1 hour ago, Ararar said:

Los Alamitos’ defense has received a major addition who could make the Griffins a stronger contender in Division 1 this fall.

T.A. Cunningham of Johns Creek in Georgia, the No. 1-rated junior defensive lineman in the nation by 247Sports, has enrolled at the Sunset League school, Griffins football coach Ray Fenton confirmed Thursday.

Looks like Los is going to take Servite’s stop as 1 of the top 4 teams in SoCal next year

On 7/1/2022 at 9:55 PM, MD87 said:

That's a very generous offer.  Thank you.  I'll keep you posted.

@HurricaneNick Thanks again for the kind invitation to visit the school before the tournament.  Unfortunately, our plans have gotten a bit more complicated, so probably can't make it over to Bristol & Edinger.  Still planning on going to Edison tomorrow, though.  You said you might be there for the early games?

13 minutes ago, MD87 said:

@HurricaneNick Thanks again for the kind invitation to visit the school before the tournament.  Unfortunately, our plans have gotten a bit more complicated, so probably can't make it over to Bristol & Edinger.  Still planning on going to Edison tomorrow, though.  You said you might be there for the early games?

@HurricaneNickPS: Is tomorrow's schedule posted anywhere online?

13 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

How dear you!

Looks like Los is going to take Servite’s stop as 1 of the top 4 teams in SoCal next year

I know… blasphemy.

Los Al has gone from huge question mark to one of the top defensive lines in the country this off-season. Gotta love that portal.

3 hours ago, GoBigBlack said:

Los Al has gone from huge question mark to one of the top defensive lines in the country this off-season. Gotta love that portal.

Still, it may not be enough to get them a first round win in the SS D-1 playoffs, unless CIF goes back to a 16 team bracket.