Some California news

Ararar

9 hours ago, On2whls said:

Well last year Cathedral vs OLU was a pretty crazy game and Cathedral with a pretty anemic passing game handled Folsom.  Whoever wins the D-1 (AA track) should be a more complete team than Cathedral was last year and be capable of giving the Northern rep a good game.   I would like to see SS big boy bracket go to 4 team format though.  SS #5 is probably comparable with whoever the northern rep will be for D1AA

Cathedral is nowhere near the team that they were last year though . Maybe a Norco or someone like that ? SM will have to play with the big boys I'm sure .

12 hours ago, On2whls said:

Maybe stop their ground game but Mater Dei showed how vulnerable Cen10’s secondary is.  This Cen10 team is not unlike 2014 Cen10 but because it’s the worst overall OOL schedule they’ve had in 10 years, there weren’t crazy shootouts.  I think Cen10 vs Los Al would be like that crazy playoff game against Serra Gardena with Khalil Tate.   I think Cen10 wins, but the scoreboard operator will get carpal tunnel.

Completely agree. I just think they’re good enough on D to get a few stops and Los Al is not. They’ll slightly outpace em all game and the final score should be about 117-89 or so. 

That Tate game though…

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, On2whls said:

Maybe stop their ground game but Mater Dei showed how vulnerable Cen10’s secondary is.  This Cen10 team is not unlike 2014 Cen10 but because it’s the worst overall OOL schedule they’ve had in 10 years, there weren’t crazy shootouts.  I think Cen10 vs Los Al would be like that crazy playoff game against Serra Gardena with Khalil Tate.   I think Cen10 wins, but the scoreboard operator will get carpal tunnel.

Mater Dei has better line play than Los Al. Centennial would get 3 to 4 stops easily and have the QB running around. 63-28/35 maybe worse

• Like 1

On 9/28/2022 at 7:29 AM, golfaddict1 said:

However, I don't think LB Poly has ever produced an NFL player that has been enshrined in Canton, as in, not been voted to the pro football Hall of Fame. Would be epic or awesome if that happens someday.

Anyway, happy that TA Cunningham will finally be allowed to play for Los Al, and someone mentioned that Los Al is a young team, but Malachi Nelson is a senior I believe, I don't see them being able to reload at the QB position that easily.

11 hours ago, CaliNorth said:

Cathedral is nowhere near the team that they were last year though . Maybe a Norco or someone like that ? SM will have to play with the big boys I'm sure .

I don’t think Norco has enough to prevail at the next level down, but they’ll be a tough out for some.  
RSM by virtue of that loss to Los Al and predicted 2 additional losses in league might be the team that played both well enough, and poorly enough to snatch that number 9 spot.   But, I think Los Al beats Edison badly enough to knock them out of the picture.  Then it comes down to how the mission league Amat, Serra, Chaminade contests against each other play out.  
I would like to see an upstart squad like Oak Hills slide in, but it’s probably not in the cards. Murrieta Valley has a very close loss to Apple Valley up there in the desert.  If they can beat Norco, Vista Murrieta, Roosevelt, and at least show up against Cen10, maybe they sneak in. 
The 16 team D1 bracket is more interesting in that there will be a lot more competitive games.

1 hour ago, On2whls said:

I don’t think Norco has enough to prevail at the next level down, but they’ll be a tough out for some.  
RSM by virtue of that loss to Los Al and predicted 2 additional losses in league might be the team that played both well enough, and poorly enough to snatch that number 9 spot.   But, I think Los Al beats Edison badly enough to knock them out of the picture.  Then it comes down to how the mission league Amat, Serra, Chaminade contests against each other play out.  
I would like to see an upstart squad like Oak Hills slide in, but it’s probably not in the cards. Murrieta Valley has a very close loss to Apple Valley up there in the desert.  If they can beat Norco, Vista Murrieta, Roosevelt, and at least show up against Cen10, maybe they sneak in. 
The 16 team D1 bracket is more interesting in that there will be a lot more competitive games.

You think cen10 has a chance vs md or sjb ?  Even if it is a small one

58 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

You think cen10 has a chance vs md or sjb ?  Even if it is a small one

No.  The secondary is just not capable at that level.  Plus you can’t outscore those defenses in a shootout. 
To keep within 3 scores would be an accomplishment.  
MD took it pretty easy on them in the second half of the game earlier this year.  The last four drives they had their backup RB in and stopped throwing down field.  
But, no other team in the SS would fare better.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SoCalFball said:

No public school has a chance can those two. I seen this tweet from Zach Poff from maxpreps yesterday. MD has not lost to a team minus Bosco since 2015! Moral of the story nobody has a chance 😂

Yeah MD really exploded following that 2016 CIF title game loss to Bosco at Angel stadium, that was the biggest turning point for them, some might also say that 2019 huge comeback win Bosco had over MD was the other turning point.

10 minutes ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

Yeah MD really exploded following that 2016 CIF title game loss to Bosco at Angel stadium, that was the biggest turning point for them

That wasn't the turning point for Mater Dei. 2011 and missing the playoffs was the turning point. As you like to say, Rollo "blew up the program" after that. In his own words: ""I made a commitment especially in 2012 that if I'm going to continue to coach, I want to win national championships". Football programs aren't something that turn on a dime. It takes time to change course and build momentum. 2017 was 5 years in the making.

1 hour ago, dntn31 said:

That wasn't the turning point for Mater Dei. 2011 and missing the playoffs was the turning point. As you like to say, Rollo "blew up the program" after that. In his own words: ""I made a commitment especially in 2012 that if I'm going to continue to coach, I want to win national championships". Football programs aren't something that turn on a dime. It takes time to change course and build momentum. 2017 was 5 years in the making.

Nearly the entire defensive front for the 2017 team arrived for that season. Lots of other work went in, no doubt, but if you want to talk “turning point,” that would be it to me. They went from a team that didn’t really have a shot at a title to basically being untouchable overnight. Best team ever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

Oh, and periods go inside quotation marks. Always. You keep the vocab lessons coming and I’ll continue teaching you correct grammar. We’ll be unstoppable.

Actually, depending on the style guide you are using, there are situations where they do not. But given that this is a massive non sequitur, and I'm not publishing a research paper, I wont belabor the point further. That should give you some additional time to grapple with the meaning of "turning point".

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Actually, depending on the style guide you are using, there are situations where they do not. But given that this is a massive non sequitur, and I'm not publishing a research paper, I wont belabor the point further. That should give you some additional time to grapple with the meaning of "turning point".

I’ve grappled and I noticed that your definition merely states that a turning point is “usually singular.

Does that mean there could be more than one? What does your parallel universe say?

10 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

I’ve grappled and I noticed that your definition merely states that a turning point is “usually singular.

Does that mean there could be more than one? What does your parallel universe say?

It's not "my" definition. The definition I posted uses the exact phrasing "the time" and "starts to change" both of which carry an implication of singularity. Could there be multiple turning points? I'm sure you could come try and come up with some convoluted argument as to how continuing along an upward trend constitutes a "turning point" but it might be difficult to find anyone that agrees with you.

Hope that helps.

25 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

It's not "my" definition. The definition I posted uses the exact phrasing "the time" and "starts to change" both of which carry an implication of singularity. Could there be multiple turning points? I'm sure you could come try and come up with some convoluted argument as to how continuing along an upward trend constitutes a "turning point" but it might be difficult to find anyone that agrees with you.

Hope that helps.

It does. Let’s explore this wild, make-believe scenario —

Let’s just say a coach’s singular stated goal is to win a national title, and he hasn’t done so for 20 years. His team this year is one of the best in the country, but they are extremely thin at linebacker and on the defensive line. They’re too thin, in fact, to win a title, and if they continue down the road ahead they are going to lose three games.

Instead of continuing down that road, they take a turn and now have two all-American linebackers and three new defensive linemen who are all going on to play at Oregon, USC, or Oklahoma State. Instead of losing three games they become the best team ever and win their first national title in 20 years.  

Now, some extremely foolish people might call that a turning point. However, if you’d be so kind as to post your graph that goes all the way back to 1996 you’ll clearly see it was not. But again, this is all hypothetical.

5 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

His team this year is one of the best in the country, but they are extremely thin at linebacker and on the defensive line. They’re too thin, in fact, to win a title, and if they continue down the road ahead they are going to lose three games.

Instead of continuing down that road, they take a turn and now have two all-American linebackers and three new defensive linemen who are all going on to play at Oregon, USC, or Oklahoma State. Instead of losing three games they become the best team ever and win their first national title in 20 years. 

Oh, my apologies. I didn't realize we were talking about hypothetical turning points. I wasn't factoring in Mater Dei's hypothetical losses. I was under the assumption we were talking about actual turning points.

7 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

However, if you’d be so kind as to post your graph that goes all the way back to 1996 you’ll clearly see it was not.

As you are certainly well aware, CalPreps national rating data only goes back to 2003. So here's that graph.

289241816_Screenshot2022-09-30150105.png.b3f76b1e598edbd2bdb449dfd737feca.png

2 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Oh, my apologies. I didn't realize we were talking about hypothetical turning points. I wasn't factoring in Mater Dei's hypothetical losses. I was under the assumption we were talking about actual turning points.

As you are certainly well aware, CalPreps national rating data only goes back to 2003. So here's that graph.

289241816_Screenshot2022-09-30150105.png.b3f76b1e598edbd2bdb449dfd737feca.png

Now let me help you with some vocab.

turn·ing point
/ˈtərniNG ˌpoint/

noun
  1. a time at which a decisive change in a situation occurs, especially one with beneficial results.

If you’re talking about a turning point, you’re literally, by definition, comparing it to a hypothetical situation. The rest of us are, anyway. You have your parallel universe you travel to know for certain. Since I don’t live in a parallel universe, I don’t know if they would have won a national championship without Solo, Funa, and company. I can just make the common sense guess and say that there’s no way in hell they beat Gorman, De La Salle, and Bosco twice with the front they were going to rely on.

But if we’re talking actual turning points, I’ll go with the “decisive change” to the team’s personnel that got them over the hump and actually won the thing you’re talking about. But maybe you’re right and the actual, concrete turning point was Bruce’s decision of “I sure am tied of losing. I’m gonna to shake things up and start winning again!” Yeah… that’s the ticket!

28 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

If you’re talking about a turning point, you’re literally, by definition, comparing it to a hypothetical situation. The rest of us are, anyway.

😂

It's honestly difficult to address this in any sort of meaningful way. What is the "it" you're comparing here exactly? Who is "the rest of us"? Turning points can only be for hypothetical situations?

You have your parallel universe you travel to know for certain. Since I don’t live in a parallel universe, I don’t know if they would have won a national championship without Solo, Funa, and company.

This is called a straw man. I'll give you some time to acquaint yourself with that as well. I'm not the one making any claims about Mater Dei's hypothetical wins and losses. That would be you:

I can just make the common sense guess and say that there’s no way in hell they beat Gorman, De La Salle, and Bosco twice with the front they were going to rely on.

But maybe you’re right and the actual, concrete turning point was Bruce’s decision of “I sure am tied of losing. I’m gonna to shake things up and start winning again!” Yeah… that’s the ticket!

I wonder if you polled 100 Historians and asked them to name the "turning point" of the Revolutionary War, how many would answer "The Battle of Saratoga" and how many would answer "Siege of Yorktown".