Some California news

Ararar

31 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

What is the "it" you're comparing here exactly? Who is "the rest of us"? 

That's called a reflexive pronoun. It's not a research paper, but you can do it.

31 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

I wonder if you polled 100 Historians and asked them to name the "turning point" of the Revolutionary War, how many would answer "The Battle of Saratoga" and how many would answer "Treaty of Paris". 

None. But you'd sure get a few who answer "Valley Forge." You should probably correct them. 

The Treaty of Paris is an interesting choice, but since Rollo specifically said "championshipS," it's a pretty awful comparison. The treaty ended the war, the first national championship kicked things off.

And it took Mater Dei longer to win a title from your "turning point" than it did for the United States to win the Revolutionary war from theirs. Let's just call the turning point June 3, 1949 when Bruce Rollinson was born.

10 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

That's called a reflexive pronoun. It's not a research paper, but you can do it.

I'll try to speak more slowly this time.     I    asked    "what    is    the   "it""   not   "what    is     "it"". 

10 minutes ago, GoBigBlack said:

The Treaty of Paris is an interesting choice, but since Rollo specifically said "championshipS," it's a pretty awful comparison. The treaty ended the war, the first national championship kicked things off.

The "Treaty of Paris" was not the best choice for that example. I already changed it to "The Siege/Battle of Yorktown" which is more a more apt comparison to your argument. The point still stands. A turning point is when where things start to change. The 2016/2017 offseason was not that for Mater Dei. They were already on the upward trend since the 2011/2012 offseason when Rollo gave that interview. I've already provided enough non-hypothetical examples and data to support that claim.

It's clear you want to have the last word on this, so by all means, you can have it. The horse has been dead for a while to this point, and I'm tired of beating it. If you want to continue digging your grave, you have my encouragement to do so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, dntn31 said:

That wasn't the turning point for Mater Dei. 2011 and missing the playoffs was the turning point. As you like to say, Rollo "blew up the program" after that. In his own words: ""I made a commitment especially in 2012 that if I'm going to continue to coach, I want to win national championships". Football programs aren't something that turn on a dime. It takes time to change course and build momentum. 2017 was 5 years in the making.

I also like to think their third straight loss to Servite also really motivated Rollo to make major changes to the program, a win at all cost mentality, since he's not used to losing to Servite.

In total he's only lost to them 3 times which included a 20-year streak.

A few pages back, it was mentioned that he did make questionable controversial moves

1 hour ago, Bodysurf said:

MD lost in the semis in 2015 and lost in the finals in 2012 and 2013. It is not like they were a bad team prior to 2016. 

That’s pretty much my point. According to the charts, they regressed twice along the way and spent five straight years hovering between 10th and 40th. What finally put them over the top? Some say it was the year 2011 and a quote in the paper. I think it was plugging holes on an elite team that was just out of reach. Those are both opinions.

You could draw a line from 1992 to 2018 and call it the turning point for the Dodgers. Saratoga wasn’t the turning point of the Revolution, in case anyone is under that ridiculous impression. 1777 was.

Alright, on with the chlorophyll…

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Duckburghsfinest1987 said:

I also like to think their third straight loss to Servite also really motivated Rollo to make major changes to the program, a win at all cost mentality, since he's not used to losing to Servite.

In total he's only lost to them 3 times which included a 20-year streak.

As a Head Coach, yes, but Servite also beat Mater Dei 13-0 in 1964 (the only points scored on MD the entire year) when Rollinson was a sophomore RB on that team. And MD, with just that loss, and just those 13 points given up, didn't make the playoffs that year. 

I'm not sure how many games Rollinson lost to Servite as a MD assistant.

On 9/23/2022 at 10:43 PM, HurricaneNick said:

Poly is a young team, already pretty good. Will be very good next year. Barbee has it going. Good for them. Sweet video. 

Is Poly a mostly underclassmen team at the moment? As in, mostly juniors or sophomores?

Anyway, T.A. Cunningham's impact for Los Al it was definitely felt last Friday Night

On 9/30/2022 at 8:06 PM, Bodysurf said:

Very ugly half for MD. JS returned opening kick for a TD. It’s a penalty fest. MD probably has 7 or 8 penalties.

I didn’t see the contest but it sounds to me like MD simply didn’t play very well.  So, did they lay an egg, or might JSerra be a top 20ish team?  

1 hour ago, On2whls said:

I didn’t see the contest but it sounds to me like MD simply didn’t play very well.  So, did they lay an egg, or might JSerra be a top 20ish team?  

JSerra lost to Cen10 41-0…. The same Cen10 team that MD beat 43-20 so MD obviously just laid an egg….

MD is a young team with the biggest game of the season coming up next week and JSerra hasn’t played a competitive game against MD in years….

The MD kids just simply overlooked JSerra thinking they had an easy win (since Cen10 beat JSerra 41-0 and MD beat Cen10 43-20) and played a sloppy game… MD is a young team and this kind of stuff happens with HS kids…. MD will learn from this….

I am still taking MD in a 17-14 type of game against SJB…. It will be a low scoring defensive battle….

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

JSerra lost to Cen10 41-0…. The same Cen10 team that MD beat 43-20 so MD obviously just laid an egg….

MD is a young team with the biggest game of the season coming up next week and JSerra hasn’t played a competitive game against MD in years….

The MD kids just simply overlooked JSerra thinking they had an easy win (since Cen10 beat JSerra 41-0 and MD beat Cen10 43-20) and played a sloppy game… MD is a young team and this kind of stuff happens with HS kids…. MD will learn from this….

I am still taking MD in a 17-14 type of game against SJB…. It will be a low scoring defensive battle….

Thinking 🤔 MD/SJB for this weeks pick em.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, THEOC89 said:

Yes JSerra should have been an easy walkover.  Even very good teams underperform from time to time.  But, as a result of this game, there are some that will misinterpret that JSerra is somehow better than what they are.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, On2whls said:

Probably both. JSerra is a decent team. Maybe a 20ish team. But they certainly played well on Friday. MD did not. JS first TD was the opening kickoff. That is an Achilles heel for MD as they don’t have a kicker that can reach the endzone. This is the first time in many years we have not had a very good kicker. JS second TD came on a drive that MD had 3 or 4 penalties, one being a personal foul when JS would have had to punt.

JS blitzing caused a lot of problems for MD in the first half, but they cleaned that up at halftime. In 4th quarter MD was driving and would probably have scored but they fumbled deep in JS territory. MD scored on 2 long passes but they had a hard time sustaining drives. Only positive for MD was they got a W, but all in all it was a terrible performance. Not what you want going into Bosco week. I am confident we see a different MD next week, but I’m not sure whether that will be good enough. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 8:19 PM, GoBigBlack said:

That’s pretty much my point. According to the charts, they regressed twice along the way and spent five straight years hovering between 10th and 40th. What finally put them over the top? Some say it was the year 2011 and a quote in the paper. I think it was plugging holes on an elite team that was just out of reach. Those are both opinions.

You could draw a line from 1992 to 2018 and call it the turning point for the Dodgers. Saratoga wasn’t the turning point of the Revolution, in case anyone is under that ridiculous impression. 1777 was.

Alright, on with the chlorophyll…

In December of 2017 Rollinson was named USA's coach of the year. In an article profiling the coach, the author, Jim Halley, led off his commentary by titling it " In Rollinson's own words". Speaking of what motivates him, Bruce stated in relevant part "...A while back, there were people saying the game had passed me by, especially after the 2011 season, when we did not make the playoffs. The administration stuck by me and I reinvented myself and blew the program up." So, maybe you can ask Bruce what he meant by his statement that he blew up the program and let us know his answer.

• Like 1

Coach Pellum has been reinstated at Millikan High.  I guess he was placed on temporary leave due to the ineligible players and forfeited losses.  I'm not keen on CIF bullying the inner city and working class schools while letting the wealthy one's get by so easily.  You basically have to sue CIF to win these day like Los AL did.  Luckily TA won and justice was served