Some California news

Ararar

23 minutes ago, On2whls said:

They are in the D1 bracket in sectionals. 

I got that later on, but my outrage still stands.  They had no business being in the state playoffs. They did the same thing with Folsom up north, the lost in second round of the playoffs and were still put in the state playoffs then lost in the first round.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SoCalFball said:

In SoCal if you make the Open Division you get an automatic bid for state. 

And Sierra Canyon should not have been in the Open Division playoffs after being 3rd in there league. Should have been Div 1. Etiwanda or MD were way more deserving of the open bid.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 11:43 AM, MD87 said:

@HurricaneNick Since when is Peter Langi on SF Riordan?  Did he move?

You can’t blame the kid for transferring, if he indeed did. He got nothing but garbage time last season as a Sophomore. Even after Lipe Moala went down mid season, they brought in an undersized Fallini and a Freshman defensive lineman instead. Makes you wonder what the staff thought about Langi and his future.

Next season there are 3 OL starters returning and at least one of the current Freshman will play, plus we have an incoming stud. I’m not sure Langi will see playing time. I have no idea what the deal is. The kid is a monster and has major D1 offers, but can’t seem to get on the field.

On 3/3/2023 at 8:43 AM, MD87 said:

@HurricaneNick Since when is Peter Langi on SF Riordan?  Did he move?

As @Bodysurf said, it was going to be a challenge to get on the field, despite Langi was the JV MVP playing both sides, but what does that tell you about JV level of play. Can't hold too much stock how well one did in a JV season, especially there were other other circumstances that were making it more challenging for him besides just trying to get on the field. It was the best for him. He is originally from Nor Cal. 

13 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

You can’t blame the kid for transferring, if he indeed did. He got nothing but garbage time last season as a Sophomore. Even after Lipe Moala went down mid season, they brought in an undersized Fallini and a Freshman defensive lineman instead. Makes you wonder what the staff thought about Langi and his future.

Next season there are 3 OL starters returning and one of the Lopez kids who is a Freshman will play, plus we have an incoming stud. I’m not sure Langi will see playing time. I have no idea what the deal is. The kid is a monster and has major D1 offers, but can’t seem to get on the field.

It was reported, in the Nor Cal board, that his first choice of school after 8th grade was Serra San Mateo but his grades and entrance test scores couldn’t cut it so he wasn’t accepted. Had no problem getting in to Mater Dei. Kudos to Serra for sticking to there standards no matter what.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

On 2/26/2023 at 4:47 PM, SoCalFball said:

Cen10 will have a great schedule as usual! Shoot I think 3 of the first 5 games are teams who finished top 25 in the nation. 

ABFF5CEC-351A-4B37-A8B8-AB46E1FBDA44.jpeg

If Logan can get those kids to play with the aggression the basketball team does, they might be unstoppable! (Just a joke) 

Great schedule. Gorman on the road during a short week is tough. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, HurricaneNick said:

Yes he’s gone. 

Let’s wish him the best. But as I said above, not a big loss for MD since Langi wasn’t going to play much, but it does hurt OL depth.

Any other kids checking out? There are so many young DBs on the roster that are future D1 players, I would expect to see some of them go elsewhere to get more playing time.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 7:49 AM, Bodysurf said:

Let’s wish him the best. But as I said above, not a big loss for MD since Langi wasn’t going to play much, but it does hurt OL depth.

Any other kids checking out? There are so many young DBs on the roster that are future D1 players, I would expect to see some of them go elsewhere to get more playing time.

No sir. Nickel and dime. Ajon was my biggest “worry”. Not a db. Can’t complain about depth at any spot at this moment. Writing on the wall type of thing.

• Like 1

well the state title drought continues for MD's boys basketball program in the McKnight era, got eliminated by Notre Dame HS in the state playoffs, regionals, but they still won their 24th CIF section title in McKnight's 40th or 41'st season, forget which one, but overall, they are not as consistent as they used to be when it comes to winning CIF section titles, its their first since 2018

13 hours ago, MD87 said:

Hey, @HurricaneNick, been meaning to ask for a while now.  PLEASE tell me we have a legit kicker this season.  

Nope. Not even close.

10 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

Amen brother!  The kickoffs last season were ridiculous. 

Although the kid did make a clutch FG against Gorman.

Won the game at Gorman, missed XP against Bosco. Didn’t get the 2 pt conversion. Lost. Would easily trade. No chase meyers on this team. 

On 3/18/2023 at 3:28 AM, HurricaneNick said:

Nope. Not even close.

On 3/17/2023 at 4:34 PM, Bodysurf said:

For the love of Pete, WHY?  Every talented kid at every other position begs to come to MD.  As @Bodysurf attests, an elite kicker is priceless.  May be an overstatement (and we'll never know, of course), but if we have Lopez or McGrath last season, we are undefeated and repeat.  

• Like 1

Thought this might be of interest to you all. Coach Rouzier of Santa Margarita Catholic was recently interviewed on the Canon Podcast.  He discussed the state of HS football in SoCal, the transfers, and the reason for the 10+ players leaving his program to Crean Lutheran, CEN10, and other programs.

• Thanks 1