DeMatha Open Date Week 0 Aug. 24/25

DeMathaFootball

On 3/7/2018 at 9:59 PM, Columbiafan said:

Technically we can only not say it about Marietta 😂

We still can for the 2 south GA schools who fear their own shadow so much they refuse to leave the GA state line 😂 

Can't say it about Grayson either.  There's more teams here that are willing to travel than you think.  Don't forget we are playing BC this coming year at Buford as well.

7 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

Oh yeah my bad

I was only intending on calling out 2 specific schools from South GA

Is there a reason that it's only south GA that seems to be so reluctant to travel? 

1) The S GA teams draw *huge* home crowds for the most part, 10K+ @ $8-12 per depending on general admission or reserved seats.  Add in concessions and you are looking at close to $100k +/-.   Traveling means they forgo that income.

2) It is hard to get to anywhere other than neighboring states.  Grayson caught a lot of flack for taking the bus to Shreveport last year.  That's pretty much about as far as you want to go on a bus.  Maybe a little farther but for sure not to the West Coast.  Then you are looking at a bus ride to either Atlanta or Jacksonville to the airport and from there a flight to wherever plus buses and lodging on the far end.  That gets expensive whether you take the whole team or a subset - which most GA teams won't do no matter how much it bothers people on this board.

When you add the lost revenue and the cost of moving the team it just doesn't make sense most of the time.  There are some exceptions to be sure but as a general rule, that dog won't hunt.  That's why GA doesn't mind playing out of state teams if they come to us.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Fred said:

1) The S GA teams draw *huge* home crowds for the most part, 10K+ @ $8-12 per depending on general admission or reserved seats.  Add in concessions and you are looking at close to $100k +/-.   Traveling means they forgo that income.

2) It is hard to get to anywhere other than neighboring states.  Grayson caught a lot of flack for taking the bus to Shreveport last year.  That's pretty much about as far as you want to go on a bus.  Maybe a little farther but for sure not to the West Coast.  Then you are looking at a bus ride to either Atlanta or Jacksonville to the airport and from there a flight to wherever plus buses and lodging on the far end.  That gets expensive whether you take the whole team or a subset - which most GA teams won't do no matter how much it bothers people on this board.

When you add the lost revenue and the cost of moving the team it just doesn't make sense most of the time.  There are some exceptions to be sure but as a general rule, that dog won't hunt.  That's why GA doesn't mind playing out of state teams if they come to us.

Well stated Reverend Fred.

6 hours ago, Fred said:

Could someone like Grayson fly out to say Bishop Gorman if Gorman paid their hotel and flight costs?

At that point Grayson would only have to pay for a bus ride to Atlanta airport 

17 hours ago, Columbiafan said:

Could someone like Grayson fly out to say Bishop Gorman if Gorman paid their hotel and flight costs?

At that point Grayson would only have to pay for a bus ride to Atlanta airport 

I hesitate to answer this as some will take it as the gospel and then use it against us.  At the risk of being sorry I said this later, I would say possibly yes.  As long as the whole team's costs are funded I don't think there is a philosophical problem with it.  We recognize we will have away games.  When we set up home and home we generally forgo proceeds on the away portion of the contract as best as I know (which might not be totally accurate.)  If the game is during the normal school year, GCPS would cover the buses to/from ATL. If the game is a preseason game before school starts, then we have to fund those costs which aren't that huge.  I have no idea who would fund the trip to the airport if it were to take place in December during the Christmas break.  I do know when we use the big cheeses to travel to summer camps it can get expensive depending on where the camp is.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fred said:

I hesitate to answer this as some will take it as the gospel and then use it against us.  At the risk of being sorry I said this later, I would say possibly yes.  As long as the whole team's costs are funded I don't think there is a philosophical problem with it.  We recognize we will have away games.  When we set up home and home we generally forgo proceeds on the away portion of the contract as best as I know (which might not be totally accurate.)  If the game is during the normal school year, GCPS would cover the buses to/from ATL. If the game is a preseason game before school starts, then we have to fund those costs which aren't that huge.  I have no idea who would fund the trip to the airport if it were to take place in December during the Christmas break.  I do know when we use the big cheeses to travel to summer camps it can get expensive depending on where the camp is.

A game like this could also catch ESPN attention so they could do something similar to what Miami Central and Bishop Gorman did this past season and the money that Bishop Gorman would make from ESPN televising it could excess the costs of covering Grayson's travel expenses 

@GardenStateBaller

Here's a very interesting assignment for you 😂 

You have any connections at ESPN that could come in handy here? 

On 3/14/2018 at 10:22 PM, Fred said:

So it’s more about making money than finding the best competition?

20 minutes ago, On2whls said:

So it’s more about making money than finding the best competition?

Let me take a crack at this...

In a way, it's more about making money.....especially when you consider all the variables for the top georgia teams. We do welcome competition tho. Remember now, if playing another team oos doesn't make financial sense, the game probably won't happen. 

3 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

With coast to coast games, travel stipends from the host school normally accounts for only airfare costs. Hotel and meals costs are usually fanraised by the traveling team. 

I believe Bishop Gorman paid hotel fees for all 4 public schools from FL who went 

Ik they did for Miami Central and Armwood 

I assume they did for Booker T Washington and cocoa because both schools are very limited in funds 

7 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

That's why I used the word "normally" in my last post. Exceptions do exist, but are less common. 

Ik but what I'm saying is i would think the same could apply to a GA school as it did for Miami Central and Armwood 

If a GA school just explained to Gorman that they have to have travel and hotel paid for to take the game they might try working with them,  if ESPN picks the game up then Gorman can make their money back that they would have had to pay out to provide for their hotel costs and Bishop Gorman would still make money from hosting

20 hours ago, Fred said:

It doesn't matter if it is the best competition if you can't afford to play them.  These programs don't run on good wishes.

Hmmm.  Cen10 (poor as hell) over the past few years has gotten BG, Chandler, IMG 2x, and this coming year Chandler again to stop by So CA.  They aren’t coming here for the money or easy wins.