DeMatha Open Date Week 0 Aug. 24/25

DeMathaFootball

14 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

All of them where covered by a 3rd party. 

Except Chandler.

I don’t think a third party covered BG to come to Centennial unless maybe Snoop Dog who was prancing about payed out of his own pocket.  That BTW is the only HS game I’ve ever gone to where my keen olfactory senses detected marijuana in the parking lot lol.   

Who footed the bill for IMG? In 2015 honor bowl Cen10 played Serra Gardena.  Hard to imagine much assistance was needed for that game.

Just now, On2whls said:

I don’t think a third party covered BG to come to Centennial unless maybe Snoop Dog who was prancing about payed out of his own pocket.  That BTW is the only HS game I’ve ever gone to where my keen olfactory senses detected marijuana in the parking lot lol.   

Who footed the bill for IMG? In 2015 honor bowl Cen10 played Serra Gardena.  Hard to imagine much assistance was needed for that game.

I can imagine the local games don't require a lot of money. 

IMG is a big budget private so I can imagine they don't need anything to move. 

27 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Events. The honor bowl is an event so there's bound to be a sponsor or some outside support. 

Seems a bit speculative.  

Even so, my point is if there is a WILL, then a way can be found.  In addition to the teams I already referenced, Salt Lake East, Liberty NV, and Pittsburg CA all have made the trek to Corona to play Cen10 over the past couple of years.  They did that to play a higher level team than what was available in their area and to prepare their teams for playoffs.

Garces Memorial of Bakersfield is trying to establish respect so that they may attract talent from the burgeoning population in Bakersfield, so they signed a one and one with SJB. Last year they lost 63-0.   They’ll get beat up again this year, but I’m sure that won’t hurt their efforts to attract talent. 

I reiterate, sometimes it’s about how you spend the money to move ahead.   Spending money to challenge a team that might beat you, is better than doing the same to beat a lesser opponent.  In that manner, it’s more about the experience and less about the cost.

On 3/19/2018 at 12:51 AM, On2whls said:

Seems a bit speculative.  

Even so, my point is if there is a WILL, then a way can be found.  In addition to the teams I already referenced, Salt Lake East, Liberty NV, and Pittsburg CA all have made the trek to Corona to play Cen10 over the past couple of years.  They did that to play a higher level team than what was available in their area and to prepare their teams for playoffs.

Garces Memorial of Bakersfield is trying to establish respect so that they may attract talent from the burgeoning population in Bakersfield, so they signed a one and one with SJB. Last year they lost 63-0.   They’ll get beat up again this year, but I’m sure that won’t hurt their efforts to attract talent. 

I reiterate, sometimes it’s about how you spend the money to move ahead.   Spending money to challenge a team that might beat you, is better than doing the same to beat a lesser opponent.  In that manner, it’s more about the experience and less about the cost.

You make my point for me.  Moving a team from Utah, Nevada, Arizona, etc to the greater LA area is a different cost point than moving one from Georgia, especially S Georgia.  I agree that spending money to move ahead is a good thing...to a point.  You are ignoring the opportunity cost for one of the big name schools from Ga.  Remember I said earlier that several of the S Ga teams have gross revenue for a home game approaching if not exceeding $100,000.  Most of the metro Atlanta teams don't gross that much due to stadium size disparities and in general a slightly lower ticket cost but even so for a sold out game we are north of $50,000.  Even if all transportation and lodging costs are covered we *still* lose $50,000 to $100,000.  At some point your fiduciary responsibility kicks in.  What we would gain by playing the game team strength wise is not worth what it would cost us.  Don't forget, we have multiple strong teams close by.

12 hours ago, On2whls said:

Precisely, it’s about making money.  BTW, where does all that money go?

I can't speak for other schools but in our case it goes to support the other athletic teams.  I think we field 17 different teams and only football and to a lessor degree basketball generate surplus funds.

I fail to understand your line of questioning as it appears that you think making money is a bad thing.  Just because your teams don't have local support doesn't mean the rest of us can't.  We play plenty of strong teams that are close by.  You like to make the point you don't have to travel to play strong teams.  What makes you think you are unique?  Just because many of the local teams may not have the exposure of others doesn't mean they aren't good.  All it means is that people don't know who they are.

38 minutes ago, Fred said:

I fail to understand your line of questioning as it appears that you think making money is a bad thing. 

No making money is not a bad thing. However, in the context of high school sports, the vast majority of the public sector schools, are in it from a competitive aspect first.  

7 hours ago, On2whls said:

No making money is not a bad thing. However, in the context of high school sports, the vast majority of the public sector schools, are in it from a competitive aspect first.  

Pretty sure that's always the case, football generates  revenue yes but it funds the rest and football eats up a lot of the funds in terms of equipment, facilities, etc.

I did pick up what Fred commented on and that seems to be your hammer of sorts "making money".

So what about it, sets you sideways?

7 hours ago, Fred said:

I can't speak for other schools but in our case it goes to support the other athletic teams.  I think we field 17 different teams and only football and to a lessor degree basketball generate surplus funds.

I fail to understand your line of questioning as it appears that you think making money is a bad thing.  Just because your teams don't have local support doesn't mean the rest of us can't.  We play plenty of strong teams that are close by.  You like to make the point you don't have to travel to play strong teams.  What makes you think you are unique?  Just because many of the local teams may not have the exposure of others doesn't mean they aren't good.  All it means is that people don't know who they are.

I understand that generally football is the only sport that makes a profit and it has to support the other sports

However i believe it's the same way with these FL teams (I'm using them as example since i know them more than i would any other state)

So how do these FL schools still make travel and have enough to keep these other sports afloat?

If they can keep it afloat while bringing in far less money then by definition couldn't other states have the same ability to travel? 

Not being confrontational just curious on what is different between the states when it's basically universal that football will be the only profitable sport at most schools

7 hours ago, On2whls said:

They aren't mutually exclusive.  Maybe you are used to having everything funded by the school system through higher taxes.  Around here, the school system does more than the minimum but if a program wants to do anything outside of the "standard" then they have to pay for it.  The football revenues help to fund the entire athletic department.  When the football team is successful it enables others to participate with better facilities, coaches, and in sports that less successful programs/schools can't.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

I understand that generally football is the only sport that makes a profit and it has to support the other sports

However i believe it's the same way with these FL teams (I'm using them as example since i know them more than i would any other state)

So how do these FL schools still make travel and have enough to keep these other sports afloat?

If they can keep it afloat while bringing in far less money then by definition couldn't other states have the same ability to travel?

Not being confrontational just curious on what is different between the states when it's basically universal that football will be the only profitable sport at most schools

I don't know as I'm not familiar how the funding goes in FL.  Part of it is mindset to be sure.  The is a saying when it is time to railroad, you railroad, when it is time to fly, you fly.  But you can't fly when it is time to railroad.  It basically means that you have to go through everything before to get to the present.  Yea, I know that is a "duh" statement but until recently, other than border towns/counties, GA has not played that much out of state. Over the past 5-8 years, there have been more and more teams playing games with OOS opponents either home or to a lessor extent away.  The more you seen some of the top teams playing OOS games, the more you will see some of the other teams moving to that mindset.  A big factor has been the expansion of the classifications and the resulting decrease at least at the top of the classes in region games has opened up more slots so teams can schedule more non region games.  Until the past several years, Grayson for example has had 8 region games.  That left 2 open slots to try to schedule anything.  Not a lot of flexibility and with a a desire to prepare for region, not a lot of desire.  Now we have 5 open dates giving us a lot more flexibility.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

So what about it, sets you sideways?

I simply don’t think it should be a focus at the HS level.  Now, if a high school made a lot of money off sports and invested it such that most of the students were, scholastically , as kick ass as the football team, then maybe there’s a formula there.  

18 minutes ago, Fred said:

They aren't mutually exclusive.  Maybe you are used to having everything funded by the school system through higher taxes

That’s one of my beefs about the focus on money.  Taxes are already mis-managed.  Make other revenue streams available and people will find a way to mismanage it, usually to their advantage.  

I suppose I should just be thankful that in the state with the worst record of fiscal responsibility, that I only have to pay $8 to attend a game.