Coach Wilkinson Q&A

PrepGridiron

3 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

IN your opinion coach or vision rather, what are the ingredient to build and maintain a perennial nationally recognized powerhouse, public or private school?

You have to have players first and foremost...must have stable staff at least the majority of coaches...support from community and especially Admin...resources such as sponsor like Nike helps...facilities help bring kids and tradition also helps

• Like 6

Coach,

You are a brave man, coming on to this wild west we like to call home.  Thank you.

First a compliment.  Five or six years back, one of your star players was caught in an incident before the state championship.  You kept him out of the game, and I had a lot of respect for your comments at the time about how some things are more important than state championships.  You were right.

My question is this.  I'm torn about the overall direction of the HS game.  While I really admired your anyone anywhere anytime attitude at Cocoa, I can't quite reconcile watching kids get on an airplane a couple weeks in a row to travel across the country to play a game -- Cocoa isn't IMG, and most aren't going to play on Saturday or Sunday...Do you worry about too much demand on the kids as players?  How do you reconcile the sometimes conflicting demands of being a HS student and a HS athlete?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Coach, really appreciate you answering questions from the other members. 

Question 3: Who's the best hsfb team you've ever seen in person or on film?

Allen looked really good, Gorman, St John Bosco, STA a few years ago

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

What will be the challenges at NSB that will be different than your challenges at Cocoa?

i knew Cocoa was ready to be very good...I grew up on MErritt Island and saw that they always had athletes but never won...the ingredients were all there

nSB poses a different challenge because it is in a different area with different demographics

• Like 6

Just now, COTW said:

i knew Cocoa was ready to be very good...I grew up on MErritt Island and saw that they always had athletes but never won...the ingredients were all there

nSB poses a different challenge because it is in a different area with different demographics

Thank you coach for answering my questions and all of the question. Have a great night on the board. Thank you again for joining us this evening. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Last question, Coach. What are the benefits of playing OOS games, especially for public schools?

First game we went to over 80% of our team had never been on a plane...50% had never been out of Florida period

theycwill remember that experience the rest of their lives....no matter the outcome our kids have seen many places and experienced many different regions that they may never been able to see 

• Like 8

Coach, if you have time to answer... your favorite win or wins at Cocoa (whether execution was just so good or an amazing comeback perhaps) that stand out.   Also, a game you lost that pisses you off the most (poor execution, bad ref call or some late heroics)?  

You'll be missed at Cocoa.  What a great run you had.  Good luck at your new HC gig.  

• Like 2

Just now, COTW said:

First game we went to over 80% of our team had never been on a plane...50% had never been out of Florida period

theycwill remember that experience the rest of their lives....no matter the outcome our kids have seen many places and experienced many different regions that they may never been able to see 

On this subject I do have 1 more question. When you came to NJ to play Bergen Catholic did you get to take your kids to the city and visit the 9/11 memorial. that will be my last question for the night

1 minute ago, Nolebull813 said:

Are you gonna be as aggressive with trying to travel out of state with NSB as you did with Cocoa? 

Not at the beginning...we will work our way into it unless an oos team that is comparable wants to play but most of the time we have always been underdog

• Like 1

Just now, golfaddict1 said:

Coach, if you have time to answer... your favorite win or wins at Cocoa (whether execution was just so good or an amazing comeback perhaps) that stand out.   Also, a game you lost that pisses you off the most (poor execution, bad ref call or some late heroics)?  

You'll be missed at Cocoa.  What a great run you had.  Good luck at your new HC gig.  

Beating Abilene in Texas when they were ranked 1or 2 in country

beating Bergen Catholic with 23 players dressed out

the last State game will always make me mad...bad game all the way around especially for me

all the BTW losses and their are a lot

• Thanks 1
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

On this subject I do have 1 more question. When you came to NJ to play Bergen Catholic did you get to take your kids to the city and visit the 9/11 memorial. that will be my last question for the night

Yes we did...it was an unbelievable experience...had lunch across from Statue of Liberty...went to Times Square

great trip

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Coach,

You are a brave man, coming on to this wild west we like to call home.  Thank you.

First a compliment.  Five or six years back, one of your star players was caught in an incident before the state championship.  You kept him out of the game, and I had a lot of respect for your comments at the time about how some things are more important than state championships.  You were right.

My question is this.  I'm torn about the overall direction of the HS game.  While I really admired your anyone anywhere anytime attitude at Cocoa, I can't quite reconcile watching kids get on an airplane a couple weeks in a row to travel across the country to play a game -- Cocoa isn't IMG, and most aren't going to play on Saturday or Sunday...Do you worry about too much demand on the kids as players?  How do you reconcile the sometimes conflicting demands of being a HS student and a HS athlete

• Like 1

Just now, Keemd91 said:

Hey coach, just wanted to say that you will be truly missed at Cocoa. You have done so much for the community and impacted so many lives. Wish you the best of luck at NSB.

Thanks Keem...I love our kids at Cocoa...they will play anyone, may not always win but they are not scared...cocoa will always have a special place in my heart

• Like 1

1 minute ago, COTW said:
16 minutes ago, 15yds4gibberish said:

Coach,

My question is this.  I'm torn about the overall direction of the HS game.  While I really admired your anyone anywhere anytime attitude at Cocoa, I can't quite reconcile watching kids get on an airplane a couple weeks in a row to travel across the country to play a game -- Cocoa isn't IMG, and most aren't going to play on Saturday or Sunday...Do you worry about too much demand on the kids as players?  How do you reconcile the sometimes conflicting demands of being a HS student and a HS athlete

I understand your feelings...I just believe that the end game and opportunity outweighs any downside...most kids will not play College football but for one, two weekends a year they feel like they are

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

Just now, COTW said:

Thanks Keem...I love our kids at Cocoa...they will play anyone, may not always win but they are not scared...cocoa will always have a special place in my heart

No problem. A lot of your former players are friends and like family. Plus I was on rival side of the field in Brevard...But always rooted for y'all when it came playoff time.