Coach Helmerich Q&A

PrepGridiron

Prattville in 11 was most talented team that I can remember.  They were scary.  The Thomas kid was flat out frightening on film.  I’d hate to think what might have happened had he not had a braced up knee against us.  But even their backup QB started as a freshman at Kentucky.  So they were loaded.  We started a brand new secondary.  To this day, I have no idea why they didn’t try 1 (not 1) shot downfield. 

Bosco was a very good team that had our number (as did Miramar for a couple years).  We beat them in every category in ’12 except Turnovers, which determined that outcome.  No idea why we couldn’t move the ball against them in ’14. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that ECHS.  Root us on.  Not sure you what the line is.  But be smart about it!

We should contend and win our region next year.  Most of the other 8 teams were really senior heavy.  We lost 3 leads in the 4th qtr with our young bucks.  SO it was great experience for them and our kids will look very different next year.  Buying into a weight program helps!

• Like 2

Awesome stuff Coach! Thanks a ton for coming on and fielding this Q&A with us.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the product you all put on the field this year. I hope you guys have a great season!

P.S. Don't be a stranger. We would love to have you check in from time to time as your time will allow. 

Best Player? Joey Bosa was really good at football.  Best all-around football player I ever coached was Cole Champion at STA.  He was  a 175 lb LB and knocked James Wilder out of the 2010 state game.  He ended up all- IVY at Yale.

Players against?  Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Thomas, Eddie Jackson, Devin Bush all come to mind.

• Like 2

Just now, Coach Helmerich said:

Best Player? Joey Bosa was really good at football.  Best all-around football player I ever coached was Cole Champion at STA.  He was  a 175 lb LB and knocked James Wilder out of the 2010 state game.  He ended up all- IVY at Yale.

Players against?  Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Thomas, Eddie Jackson, Devin Bush all come to mind.

I was a huge fan of the name Cole Champion. That's an underrated name. 

• Like 1

Coach, were you on STAs sideline in 2010 when they played Camden Co.? If so, what did you think of coaching against Jeff Herrons WingT?  They seemed to be doing well until they started turning the ball over...

Probably an odd question, but that was an interesting matchup... STA won 42-28 I believe.. That was a good STA team.

15 hours ago, Coach Helmerich said:

Yea Cole was a tackling machine.  I posted about him often on the older boards, which sadly has no archive files.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Coach Helmerich said:

Cooper City game was similar to Bosco 12. I think we had almost 340 yards of offense and held them to 105.  They returned a tipped FG 99 yards for a score and then picked up a fumble and returned it to the 5 for another score.  Frustrating game!  They had a scrappy group of kids!

I'm pretty sure there wasn't one FBS recruit suited up in that regular season loss... indeed some scrappy kids playing for a quality HC in Art Taylor.   Cooper City's longest TD drive in the game was from the 3 yard line I believe.   

Cooper City beating STA caused the state 2 losses in oos games 

after that season Cooper City thought they were something bigger than Buster Douglas and ventured into a home and home with a South Carolina team. And got their skirt lifted both times. 

Man for all the wins STA has they sure have had their hand in some embarrassing losses. Lol