Recap Of Colquitt's Final Spring Scrimmage

Rufus69

5 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Colquitt should have a good year this year. Theyll take 1 or 2 L'S though.... 

Tift and maybe Valdosta... 

Man, you crazy. Colquitt may take 1 or 2 L's, but I have it from the highest 'thority that it won't be Tift or Valdosta. 

We may lose in a dance off to Tift if that lady from the corner of 14th and Central shows up and they play Tootsie Roll. xD

You know who I'm talkin' about? 

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Man, you crazy. Colquitt may take 1 or 2 L's, but I have it from the highest 'thority that it won't be Tift or Valdosta. 

We may lose in a dance off to Tift if that lady from the corner of 14th and Central shows up and they play Tootsie Roll. xD

You know who I'm talkin' about? 

Mrs.Tift(I Know) she was one of the best teachers in HS... 

Man... she got on my ass numerous times though...  

But she was only looking out for me... 

Except that time she snitched me out to the principal for covering her office door handle in corn oil... 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I think me and you where talking about 2 different people.... 

Oops... 

Mrs.Tift was a teacher and band director and she always dance with the giant Tift fan. 

Yeah, I was talkin' about that crazy woman that's always dancing in her front yard. 

Seem's like every town has one of those. We have "Michael Jackson" in Moultrie. Does the same four moves alllll day long. Literally. I don't know how many pairs of shoes he wears out per year, but it's quite a few I'd imagine. 

Packers football among best in Georgia over time

• By Matthew Brown 
    • May 23, 2018

Rush Propst puts the football Packers of Colquitt County High through a lot. He expects progress every day, to the point of even changing practice venues from one spot to another on the same day.

It’s resulted in this one program, in this one town of Moultrie, obtaining a national profile. At last reported count, 75 college representatives visited this campus, probably to get a look at the new indoor facility, but also to get a look at the numerous prospects who can play football on their team. Propst is listing these visitors by school name on one of the office white boards, and he is dividing them up – at least the Bowl Subdivision D-I schools – by conference. He’s said some of these schools never came to Colquitt County High before – at least in his 10 plus years. The one that traveled the furthest that I saw was UNLV.

Sometimes, even Propst puts us in the sports media to the task, like myself and my predecessor Wayne Grandy. He wants to see a total number of how many from Colquitt County High during his tenure that began in 2008 plays/played college football. Wayne does a better job of keeping up with that, for I only know about the last two Packer seasons, and he provides a lot of updated information for his special column during the fall. I started to call it “Once … Always,” short for “Once a Packer, always a Packer.”

No matter what happens in the regular season, the Colquitt team finds its way to the final four. The only exception is 2016, my first season. A third-seeded team played for the state championship. A fourth-seeded team played for the state championship. It’s not just about the back-to-back 30-0 run.

So another one of Propst’s projects is to find out what kind of 10-year record Colquitt County has a chance to complete in the 2018 season and how it would compare to what other schools in Georgia did in football during a similar time span. Not just any school, but one playing at the state’s highest level.

Several schools have had great football runs over time at different levels. Buford’s on a roll now that’s spanned about four classifications. Washington County was once dominant at a mid-level, and Thomas County-Central won four championships in the 1990s one level from the top. Lincoln County, LaGrange, Northside, they all put together a decade or more of dominance.

It wasn’t hard to figure out, though, what high school football teams in Georgia were great for a long time at the highest level. Note, however, that the ‘highest level’ changed dramatically just over the past 25 years, from four classes to seven now. A school like Valdosta High is not at the highest level right now (6A) but it was when Wright Bazemore and Nick Hyder were piling state championships one on top of the other.

No problem, though, coming up with such a list to make comparisons to what Colquitt is up to right now. For the Packers, from 2009-2017, the total record is 101-28, a .780 winning percentage. The playoff record, which includes four state title game appearances and less than four games just once (2016), is 32-7 (82 percent).

That is, of course, a nine-year span. What the research shows is that Colquitt will not be able to set a record for total wins over 10 years, but three more playoff wins would set a new standard. The number I believe Propst wants to really emphasize is the 39 total playoff games in just the last nine years.

Most of the standards for sustained greatness in Georgia, again at the highest level, belongs to Parkview High from 1996-2005. In this span, Parkview failed to reach 10 wins in a season only once (nine in 1998). They won four state championships (three with 15-0 records), played for one other (2004), won 46 games in a row and went 122-18 (87 percent). The playoff record is 34-6, which is 40 games, which is only one more than the Packers have the last nine years. In five of those 10 seasons, Parkview did not get past the quarterfinals.

In head-to-head meetings, Parkview played Colquitt County five times in those 10 years and defeated the Packers in four of the games. The loss was 29-9 in Moultrie in the 1998 playoffs. Two of the games were held in the Georgia Dome.

In Propst’s tenure, the Packers are 1-0 (2012) winning in the Big Orange Jungle.

It should be noted that Parkview never played a team outside of Georgia in those 10 years. Colquitt’s had at least one out of state team seven of the last nine years.

Other big schools with a long run of football success should be mentioned.

Lowndes High was a powerhouse from 2001-2010. 2001 was Milt Miller’s final season with an 11-2 record. Randy McPherson took over the following year and won 98 games in nine seasons with three state championships. There was one blip in this run, a 6-4 record in 2006, and it was either a championship or little to talk about in the postseason. Still, it was a 109-20 record (84 percent) and 23-5 playoff mark with 15 postseason wins in a row (2004-07) evening Parkview’s streak from 2000-02.

Staying in this part of Georgia, Valdosta High won six state championships from 1982-92. Yes, that’s an 11-year span, 1982 being a 15-0 year and 1992 being a 14-0 year. These Wildcats won 93 percent of their 151 games (141-9-1). The playoffs in this era included region playoffs, and only two teams per region made the state tournament.

Colquitt County should remember Valdosta’s 1989 season, when the Packers beat the Wildcats 7-0. It was the only blemish on a 14-1 championship season.

More on Valdosta’s legacy on down the list, but first a look at what Warner Robins High accomplished under Robert Davis from 1980-89. The Demons won two state championships (1981, 1988) and was a finalist one other time (1985). They won 84 percent of 133 games (112-20-1).

But you really need to look at 15 straight years at WRHS, for it went 11-1 in 1979, 8-2 in 1978, 11-1 in 1977 and 13-0 as state champions in 1976. From 1976-85, the Demons won 91 percent of 127 games (115-12).

Add to that 1990’s 9-2 record, and from 1981-1990 they go 109-21.

Back to Valdosta. In the 1960s, the Wildcats did not lose a playoff game. Only played 16, and didn’t make the postseason in three of those years. Overall, the Valdosta record was 97-16-3 (84 percent) with a claim on six outright state championships.

The recent passing of former Georgia quarterback Andy Johnson stirred up some memories of the 1969 season. Johnson played for Athens High (soon to be called Clarke Central), and his team faced off with unbeaten Valdosta for the championship. Athens was doing what nobody did to the Wildcats that season, score more than once. But behind Johnson, Athens trailed by one point at halftime when it scored on, of all things, an untimed down. Athens missed a PAT kick that would have meant a 13-13 tie.

A tie is how the game ended, 26-26, when Athens scored in the final minute and made a two-point conversion. It was the first season Georgia high school teams could go for two. But overtime wasn’t in the books yet, so Valdosta shared this seventh title of the decade.

http://www.moultrieobserver.com/sports/local_sports/packers-football-among-best-in-georgia-over-time/article_ab847612-5ee5-11e8-a891-a33ca467f747.html

27 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Yeah, I was talkin' about that crazy woman that's always dancing in her front yard. 

Seem's like every town has one of those. We have "Michael Jackson" in Moultrie. Does the same four moves alllll day long. Literally. I don't know how many pairs of shoes he wears out per year, but it's quite a few I'd imagine. 

We got this dude.. I wouldn’t call him crazy cause he’d fuck me up but dude was been running up and down RT.4 just sparring the air for at least the last 20 years eveeryday

@GardenStateBaller

@Hardcore Troubador u ever see this guy

i think his name is Malik

ECE49229-05AA-4C2D-AB8A-CA8AB4C71606.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Just a heads up... Rome was up on North Paulding 33-6 at halftime in their Spring game. 47-6 after 3. Rome appears to be picking up right where they left off.

Rome vs Marietta will be a dandy I tell ya... A dandy.

Lowndes would stomp a mudhole in Rome.

A MUDHOLE !!!!!

Rufus>>

• Haha 2