2018 World Cup in Russia

AztecPadre

6 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

Agree but w/o the US In it huge letdown and ratings will suffer tremendously. 

They sure looked good against Bolivia.  There is hope for US soccer.  

Hard to pick against Germany. I think Mexico will show well but ball movement in the middle just not quick enough or consistent.

A few dark horse teams to consider: South Korea and Japan, the best in Asia and playing relatively near home; Russia, they are the hosts and though they may not come in with stellar form, cannot be overlooked; Senegal, not the perennial African contenders, but the last time they made the World Cup, went all the way to the quarterfinals (or was it the semifinals?) in 2002.

I think this World Cup is probably won by a European team, likely France or Germany. But with many of the most powerful teams absent (Italy, Holland, etc.), and consistent second tier teams out (Ghana, USA, etc.), this is a wide open World Cup that could be filled with a lot of drama.    

9 hours ago, On2whls said:

Hard to pick against Germany. I think Mexico will show well but ball movement in the middle just not quick enough or consistent.

Pulisic is a star but I don’t get too excited with friendly results. 

18 hours ago, AztecPadre said:

Any predictions?  Will chump call daddy Putin to hook a brotha up with a free invite?  Lol.  Not a super huge soccer fan, but I love international competitions like this.  

Putin angle I'm guessing would be big names like Messi vs. Neymar in the final or one of those countries playing Germany and winning.  

Brazil losing the way they did to Germany and sucking vs. the Netherlands for 4th spot has to sting for 4 years for a country with that much soccer pride, but Neymar's health and conditioning is a concern.  Can't pick them until I see at least the group stage games with Neymar's health.  

Spain seems to have a nice mix of veterans and young guys and a very good net minder and they are pissed as much as Brazil I would think also from the last WC result for sure.   Portugal plays Spain in group stage and I think that's match 1.   I expect Spain to win that group, so I expect them to beat Portugal or at worst tie and still finish 1st.  

Germany hard not to pick again, but would like to see Brazil or Spain take it from them.    France does look loaded though.  Hard to pick anyone but Germany at this point.   They are Corona Centennial on O with ball possession and control/execution, with a stout D.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

Croatia and Poland too.

I must say I'll have an interest in Peru now, after @954gator's take.

Yea, would be very cool to see a Cinderalla story... I suppose that would grab serious attention for Putin and the WC.   

I don't think Putin would like Poland to succeed much lol.  Poland has some quality int'l players, but hasn't put it together yet.  Lewandowski slumped towards the end of the Bayern season, but if he gets hot and they can somehow manufacture a goal or two consistently, they could possibly make the final 8.  Their D can be effective, but they can't score consistently enough to take advantage of it.  My hope is Peru and Poland both make the elimination round (along with a few other Cinderella candidates).   

12 hours ago, On2whls said:

Soccer is growing in the US.  So many more players now that ever before from all ages and sex.  Not sure what happened in this go round, but we will be back better than ever.  As much as I would love for Mexico to contend, I just don't see it unless coach can get them to stop using the Cup as a tryout for teams in the Euro league.  They tend to always have the talent, but play way too selfish soccer and that does not lead to titles. 

5 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

A few dark horse teams to consider: South Korea and Japan, the best in Asia and playing relatively near home; Russia, they are the hosts and though they may not come in with stellar form, cannot be overlooked; Senegal, not the perennial African contenders, but the last time they made the World Cup, went all the way to the quarterfinals (or was it the semifinals?) in 2002.

I think this World Cup is probably won by a European team, likely France or Germany. But with many of the most powerful teams absent (Italy, Holland, etc.), and consistent second tier teams out (Ghana, USA, etc.), this is a wide open World Cup that could be filled with a lot of drama.    

Great post.  But I believe it will come down to Brasil and Argentina.  With Brasil being my pick to win it all.

5 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Ditto, but I think Spain will be a tough out.  If Neymar is healthy through group stage our prediction could be in trouble.  

6 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

17 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Ditto, but I think Spain will be a tough out.  If Neymar is healthy through group stage our prediction could be in trouble.  

When hosted in the Eastern Hemisphere, how many times have outsiders won the Cup, and vice versa? It used to be 0, but not sure if that has changed.

2 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

When hosted in the Eastern Hemisphere, how many times have outsiders won the Cup, and vice versa? It used to be 0, but not sure if that has changed.

OK, I looked it up. Brazil won in Japan in '02, and Germany won the last Cup in Brazil. Other than those, countries from the same hemisphere as the host have won. Unless I missed another one (or two or so).

33 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Good news for Peru.  All 3 opponents in group petitioned for Guerrero to be allowed to play.  

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-worldcup-peru-guerrero/peru-captain-guerrero-cleared-to-play-at-world-cup-after-court-ruling-idUSKCN1IW1N3

That's huge for them.  Dang it gator ever since you brought up Peru, I checked out the video and read some articles and now I have a 3rd team I have to follow daily.  As if it wasn't hard enough with 2.  CABRON!!!!!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, AztecPadre said:

Take that back.  Uruguay easily has the easiest group in A. 

I think so too.  Unless the vampire strikes again.  

Group of Death is not so easy to choose.   As far as top 2 to advance or the whole 4 overall in terms of quality I’ll review and get back.  At first glance I can’t choose.  

• Thanks 1