The 80's Celtics and the Bad Boy Pistons would physically beat down the Cavs or GS.

HooverOutlaw

1 hour ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

Ball movement is key. The game was MUCH SLOWER in the 80s and 90s. No way they could play at the Dubs pace AND defend the 3 point line. They barely had to defend the 3 back then because people didn't really shoot the 3. It was still sort if an anomaly. The court was smaller and allowed them to play a physical game. 

This is due to the fact that people had to hard double, there wasn't much 3 point shooting because you were being guarded so closely by your defender at all times. Now a days, with teams being able to shade people that drive to the basket, you have to be able to shoot from 3 to have the defense extend out to create a driving lane. 

The only 3 point shooting was from people posting up, and getting doubled then the person in the post hitting the open guy for a wide open 3 or the guys cuts to the basket(The Jazz and Malone were really good at this).

23 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

And vegas also thought auburn beats ucf in bowl game 

Vegas also had auburn in 2013 iron bowl 

Vegas also had LSU over Troy this year 

Again Vegas has been wrong plenty of times and since these teams couldn't play they aren't risking anything 

Sure. I am not saying the Bulls couldn't win. I am realistic. But I believe the Dubs are a better team as evidenced by the Vegas odds. 

The Dubs are just too much. 

18 minutes ago, steeler01 said:

This is due to the fact that people had to hard double, there wasn't much 3 point shooting because you were being guarded so closely by your defender at all times. Now a days, with teams being able to shade people that drive to the basket, you have to be able to shoot from 3 to have the defense extend out to create a driving lane. 

The only 3 point shooting was from people posting up, and getting doubled then the person in the post hitting the open guy for a wide open 3 or the guys cuts to the basket(The Jazz and Malone were really good at this).

The three point shot in today's game was made the court nearly twice as big. You can't just play tight man to man on a court twice the size like they did in the 80s, playing primarily behind the 3 point line. 

It is a different game now. Bigger. Faster. Stronger. Better shooting. Better passing. All around better. 

I am a fan of those 80s and 90s teams but we have to be honest with ourselves that's today's athletes are far superior and the game has gotten much better. 

12 minutes ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

Sure. I am not saying the Bulls couldn't win. I am realistic. But I believe the Dubs are a better team as evidenced by the Vegas odds. 

The Dubs are just too much. 

I'm not saying warriors wouldn't win

Teams are much different now then back in those days

All I'm saying is "Vegas Odds" adds nothing to help your case 

HooverOutlaw proving, once again, how little he knows about anything.

McHale and Parish wouldn't be on the floor. And if they were then the Warriors would win by whatever margin they wanted.

If the Warriors went with a small lineup, and they would, then who would McHale and Parish defend? Two 6'11" skeletons trying to run around with the greatest "small" ball team in basketball history?

It would be laughable.

11 hours ago, Blueliner said:

If they played by the 80s rules and the score was in the 80-100 range, I say the dudes with big Afros and daisy dukes win.👍

In any era since the 3-point line was introduced, the Warriors would massacre the 1980s Celtics.

Saying otherwise proves how clueless you are.

1 hour ago, steeler01 said:

There wasn't a lot of three-point shooting because they didn't understand it's value. Larry Bird was a 42% three-point shooter but only averaged 1 made three per game. They didn't get it. They didn't design their offense around the three point shot.

Malcolm Gladwell had a great talk about this very topic. He likened it to the ATM Machine when it was introduced. For the first 10 years, nobody used ATMs. People still went into the bank and used the teller window to withdraw cash. It took about 10 years for people to realize that they could save 10 minutes of time, and be way more efficient, if they used the ATM.

Same with three-point shots.

The guys in the 1980s were clueless.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/2/17/16040274/bill-simmons-gladwell-3-point-line-nba-steph-curry-a6823a3b4c47

Gladwell: The history of the 3-point line is completely consistent with the history of all major innovations. There’s a literature on time lag in innovations. So you introduce an idea, it’s clearly a disruptive, revolutionary idea — how long does it take to be adopted in a widespread way? You can look at the ATM. The first ATM [was introduced] in the [late ’60s]. The ATM doesn’t reach maturity until 20 years later or so. Same thing with the telephone, same thing with the fax machine, same thing with the smartphone. You go down the list — it always takes a generation.

Simmons: You think a generation?

Gladwell: Yeah. Like I said, there is a massive literature on this in economics about how it takes a generation for even the most obviously good ideas to get widespread acceptance. The 3-point shot is a perfect example of that. What seems like a no-brainer to us now — move back two feet and all of a sudden —

Simmons: It’s worth an extra point! The math!

Gladwell: Same thing, no-brainer. Get your cash from a machine! Don’t go to the bank during bank hours and line up in a long line and spend 20 minutes getting your $40 for the weekend. That seems really obvious to us now; it was not obvious in 1989! It was a weird idea. Do I trust the machine? The banks were like, "I don’t know how many machines we should put out there." It’s the same thing.

1 hour ago, nptb17 said:

The great teams in the 80's were putting up 110 to 115 in regulation.  Those weren't walking the ball up the court.  It's all about match ups.  The Celtics and the Lakers ran most of the game in the 80's.

I agree. Showtime and the Celtics definitely moved the ball. They were obviously legit. My point is that the Dubs are better than anyone ever at doing that imho.  If any team tries to out gun the Warriors theyll lose. Even Houston trying tried to grind it to a halt.

1 hour ago, Blueliner said:

I agree. Showtime and the Celtics definitely moved the ball. They were obviously legit. My point is that the Dubs are better than anyone ever at doing that imho.  If any team tries to out gun the Warriors theyll lose. Even Houston trying tried to grind it to a halt.

Those Celtic and Lakers teams shot the ball just like the Warriors and Houston but with better percentages.  Magic and Bird on the break was a scary thing especially considering the whole team was running.  Certain teams are going to be fine in any decade just like certain players would be fine.  The Piston teams of the late 80's would struggle in today's game imo, because their 3,4 and 5's would give them nothing on the offensive end.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

They would run circles around unathletic players from the 80s trying to throw elbows. 

Those players worked at supermarkets on the off season. Klay and Steph pkay year round and are the two greatest shooters of all times. 

Enjoy greatness and the 3rd ring. 

It taste so good. 

You are clearly ate up with the dumbass disease.

Clearly,

C.A.

56 minutes ago, nptb17 said:

Those Celtic and Lakers teams shot the ball just like the Warriors and Houston but with better percentages.  Magic and Bird on the break was a scary thing especially considering the whole team was running.  Certain teams are going to be fine in any decade just like certain players would be fine.  The Piston teams of the late 80's would struggle in today's game imo, because their 3,4 and 5's would give them nothing on the offensive end.

The 1986 Celtics shot .508% from the field and this year's Warriors shot .503% from the field.

Statistical dead heat.

The difference is that the Warriors shot .391% from three and the Celtics shot .351% from three.

Here's the kicker though.

The Celtics had 393 three-point attempts. The Warriors had 2,369 three point attempts.

32 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Furthermore Klay and Curry wouldn't be able to get past halfcourt with the defensive rules and pressure of the 80's

Utter nonsense.

Teams are more than welcome to play a press defense today if they want. The truth is the Warriors don't only have 4 shooters on the court at all times but they also have 4 ball-handlers.

They would push, space and shoot the Celtics silly.

12 minutes ago, Goldmember said:

Utter nonsense.

Teams are more than welcome to play a press defense today if they want. The truth is the Warriors don't only have 4 shooters on the court at all times but they also have 4 ball-handlers.

They would push, space and shoot the Celtics silly.

We are or rather I am, since reading comprehension is a vague concept to you. 

The rules and physicality of the 80s would prevail over that weak finesse shit of today  

Joe Dumars, John Stockton, John Starks would manhandle the glammy boys of GS. 

Defense prevailed and no dipsy do layups are allowed in the lane. 

Different rules, different players. 

Wake the fuck up or I’ll reach though that monitor of yours and choke the shit out of you. 

Lessons available,

Certified Asshole

55 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Not with the defensive rules in the 80s...

I don't care what rules we play under.

The athletes of the 80s could not hang with the athletes of today for 48 minutes, especially with the Dubs.

A portion of NBA players then worked regular jobs in the off season. It was totally different.

Dubs by 15. 

Just now, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

So you are saying that the Warriors being a hypothetical 5 point favorite over the Jordan Bulls means that the Jordan Bulls are better?

He doesn't even understand that the oddsmakers are the ones who set the opening line.

So by definition the "better" team is the odds favorite.