World Cup contest anyone? Careful, spoiler alert for DVR'd games

golfaddict1

44 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Yessir.   Not gonna lie I guessed like crazy on the espn one.   Took so long not sure if my picks are even the same lol.    

Good we can both laugh at our selections together.   I was enjoying choosing ties at some point, so I didn’t have to answer as many questions. 

• Haha 1

I added a spoiler alert to the subject header as we are now into multiple games per day.   Best bet when DVR'ing games, don't read here until finished.  

215 people picked today's match result score correctly out of over 266,000 entries in the ESPNFC match predictor contest, which means 215 Russians are currently tied for first place.  :)  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

215 people picked today's match result score correctly out of over 266,000 entries in the ESPNFC match predictor contest, which means 215 Russians are currently tied for first place.  :)  

The Saudis were terrible. Basic marking was nonexistent. The final result looked impressive. But overall, I was not that impressed with the Russian team. 

59 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

The Saudis were terrible. Basic marking was nonexistent. The final result looked impressive. But overall, I was not that impressed with the Russian team. 

They looked decent too prior to the WC, played Italy and Germany to 2-1 losses recently.   Stage was too big for them unfortunately and they were dominated.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

I added a spoiler alert to the subject header as we are now into multiple games per day.   Best bet when DVR'ing games, don't read here until finished.  

When do the multiple games per day begin?

I had Iran Morocco predicted 0-0 and almost got some nice bonus pts but what a brilliant header very late by Iran to sneak a win vs a more dominant Morocco squad.  

Both Suarez and Cavani had chances vs Egypt, but thanks to another player and another very late and brilliant header Uruguay earns 2 more pts vs a draw and nabs 3 pts in the group.  No Salah unfortunately for Egypt, but they played quite well without him. 

Portugal-Spain wow!   What a game that was.  CR7 fantastic game to help earn a pt vs ricochet rabbit passing arsenal of Spain.  Piquet’s foul late setup the wicked bender by Ronaldo on the free kick to tie up the game late.   Spain had come back twice from a 1 goal deficit and looked like a 3-2 victor until the hat trick artistry.  Spain’s goalie let up a weak one on Ronaldo’s 2nd goal late in the half.  That was a surprise and hurt Spain.   

DVR loaded up for the 7 games this weekend.   Somehow I’ll have to sneak in some US Open golf.  

53 minutes ago, 954gator said:

So pissed about Peru.   Should have won that game.   One of those days the soccer gods just aren't on your side.  We were outplaying them the whole damn game.  FuK.     Just gotta beat France and Australia now. 

At the very least Peru should have gotten a point. Like  I said when you posted the videos, Peru is clearly not lacking for talent. You can't afford to sky penalty kicks at this level, though. They did and it cost them dearly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

At the very least Peru should have gotten a point. Like  I said when you posted the videos, Peru is clearly not lacking for talent. You can't afford to sky penalty kicks at this level, though. They did and it cost them dearly. 

The Danish goalkeeper had the game of his life.  Was incredible.   The penalty was just a choke job though.   Sucks.   They played well though.    They have to play perfect now if they want a chance to advance.  

1 hour ago, 954gator said:

The Danish goalkeeper had the game of his life.  Was incredible.   The penalty was just a choke job though.   Sucks.   They played well though.    They have to play perfect now if they want a chance to advance.  

It would be a pity if they fail to advance. They have a lot of natural talent on the team. Some of it lacks big league and international experience. But the raw potential is there for sure. It's a real pity they did not salvage a point from this game. They certainly had the better of the overall game. 

1 hour ago, AztecPadre said:

QUE VIVA EL TRI!!!!!!

Mexico played the perfect game in the first half, were the more dangerous team, and thoroughly deserved the lead at half time. In the second half they decided to play conservative and defend the goal they had. But for good goalkeeping and a little luck they could have given the lead up. 

My overall take is, if Mexico plays their game and does not play too conservative, they have a great chance at a deep run. This game actually showed my why Mexico is the best team from the CONCACAF. They have a confidence and an identity that none of the other teams in this group have, including the USA. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

Mexico played the perfect game in the first half, were the more dangerous team, and thoroughly deserved the lead at half time. In the second half they decided to play conservative and defend the goal they had. But for good goalkeeping and a little luck they could have given the lead up. 

My overall take is, if Mexico plays their game and does not play too conservative, they have a great chance at a deep run. This game actually showed my why Mexico is the best team from the CONCACAF. They have a confidence and an identity that none of the other teams in this group have, including the USA. 

That second half had me biting my nails. That was such a great way to start Fathers Day. Watched the second half at the gym on the treadmill. By the time it was over I had ran like 10 miles. Didnt even notice till the rush wore off then I was done.

• Haha 2