GEICO ESPN high school kickoff schedule set

Las Vegas_JC

11 hours ago, Gospeeder said:

Didn't want to slow your enthusiasm for Phillips as they are a very good team with an abundance of talent and may surprise everyone against PCent but their chances would be a lot better if the game was mid season. I spent some time trying to find a documentary on them which was very interesting but I forgot who produced it and had no luck finding it again. ( maybe you can track it down ). It also focused on Landry Walker and a couple of other inner city public schools who have risen above the challenges of making an athletic program successful in midst of routine gunfire and gangs.

IL. is among the most restrictive states relative to "off season" rules "allowed days" for hitting and pre-season scrimmages etc. ( they are even passing a law that their will be no tackle football for 12yrs and under which Bret Farve got behind today ) and it has shown with their miserable OOS record as virtually all of those games have been season openers. Come mid season however, their better teams can play with virtually anybody with maybe the exception of the super recruited teams like MD St Fran etc. Phillips can be counted to a lesser degree, among that group.

LWE will be a power house this year but for the most part its not a given that they will repeat; as the power in the state has gradually shifted to 8A with a couple of 7A schools that may be competitive. There are about a dozen or so of those teams, that on any given day, can beat each other so it makes it tough to get through the season without a loss or two. The lower classes are, IMO, with the exception of Phillips are not nationally relevant. Prairie Ridge with their national ranking the last couple of years were IMO the biggest "put on" since the nine dollar bill and would have been steamrolled by the upper division teams which they cleverly steered clear of. Those 8A teams like HF, The Brooke, MS or any number of the CCL Blue teams along with MT Carmel will all be there come playoff time and regardless of their regular season records, will be able to give LWE some problems especially if the weather is bad. 

Mt Carmel may be the most interesting story this year as a lot of the area's talent want to play for their new coach and so far they have been successful in fending off IMG which has been a big problem for them the past couple of years.

In a rare OOS game I saw Mt Carmel beat a good Moeller team in the Buddy LaRossa Classic in ‘90 or ‘91.  Frank Lenti was a great coach!

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 8:07 PM, ECHS05 said:

Some solid games...

Im actually interested to see Phillips IL play... I want to see if they were legit... Playing Pickerington Central, OHs defending D1 champ will be a good test... I wouldnt be surprised if Phillips won...

Phillips brings back 5 on O & 6 on D.

Pickerington Central brings back 3 on O & 4 on D ... I got that from their starting lineup vs. Mentor in last years State Title game... Their QB, Crenshaw, will be a Junior this season... He was pretty solid.

Cedar Grove, a Top 3 GA 3A team, vs. Hewitt-Trussville AL, who is ranked #4 in all of Alabama at CP this Preseason.

They have some very good talent on O. Cedar Grove is going to be in for a dogfight.

Hewitt-Trussvilles recruits on 247sports composite:

5* OT Pierce Quick - Alabama Commit

4* QB Paul Tyson - Alabama Commit

4* WR Dazalin Worsham - Alabama Commit

4* CB Malachi Moore

3* OG Joseph Stone - Arkansas Commit

3* WR Ja'Varrius Johnson - Auburn Commit

3* DT Eric Taylor

3* OG Logan Self

2* K Parker Colburn 

SDE Tyler Antkowiak - Offers from Akron & UAB

They also have a class of 2021 (Rising Sophomore) RB Armoni Goodwin, that already has offers from Ole Miss, Southern Miss, & UAB...

Strong on the OL, strong QB, strong RB, & strong WRs... Should be an elite offense.

=========

DeMatha vs STA is interesting in that... Both teams were very disappointing last year... Given STAs talent level, losing 3 games was unacceptable. Shows how important a good, or atleast game managing QB is ... 

Just last season DeMatha was beaten 5 times (6-5)... Which was the same as theyd been beaten in the 4 years prior to last season. Obviously it was a tough season, but you have to think the odds of it happening again are low.

This game will be a springboard for 1 of these teams. My $ is on STA.

I'll take Pick C handily over Phillips. Phillips is a great story, but on a national scale, no way. I do understand they have a freshman that is getting high major offers off his body alone though.

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2018 at 5:24 PM, Las Vegas_JC said:

August 24

6pm ESPNU

Warren Central (IN) @ Trinity (KY)

9pm ESPNU

Mater Dei (CA) @ Gorman ( NV)

August 25  

12pm EST ESPN

Pinson Valley (AL) @ Hoover (AL)

3:30pm EST ESPN

Cedar Grove (GA) vs Hewitt-Trussville (AL) @ Hoover 

6pm EST ESPNU

Tucker (GA) @ Grayson (GA)

7pm EST ESPN2

DeMatha (MD) @ STA (FL)

August 26 

12:30pm ESPN

Phillips (IL) @ Pickerington Central (OH) 

Tick tock......... 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Las Vegas_JC said:

Can you clarify your schools mascot? Or the synergy of all of these elements. 

Mater Dei (Latin for Mother of God) = Monarchs = three white stripes on a red helmet = Lions???

#Confusing

I thought Monarchs were just butterflies. 

0AD5C284-0A6C-47D4-AA77-A33037F40971.gif

Mater Dei does mean “The Mother of God”, who is the Virgin Mary. Other names for her are “the theotokos”, “the God Bearer”, “the Holy Mother”, “Our Holy Mother” and “The Queen of Heaven”. The Virgin is “The Queen of Heaven” since her son is the King, making her the “Queen Mother”. As member of the Church, which is an Icon of Mary (IE Mary had the Christ Living in her and the Church has Christ living in it), we are also her children. (John 19: 25-27) and if she is our mother and a queen that means we are royals like her. Therefor we are Monarchs:

3BAF44E9-56E9-450C-A6E1-1A0D3D801C13.jpeg.557f2d2325fc619ba8feb601dcb1813c.jpeg

Lions are “the Kings of the Jungle” so MD has used a Loin as it’s mascot since day one.

0E4FC3D1-8657-4973-A9D8-B5997E0CBE83.jpeg.b37a633ec6affcc2f8ee4a5d81377439.jpeg

The 3 stripes stand for Pride, Pose and Courage. They also have to do with the Holy Trinity, since the 3 stripes are both 1 stripe and  3 stripes. Like the Holy Trinity that is 1 God and 3 Persons.

E92BE9A3-FF29-4460-BA01-E45663E5A96A.jpeg.5cb92742288840a14e042982dce96c1b.jpegCCAA31A8-3855-4724-BF40-5ABFA6B4E6A3.jpeg.6dd93ae89c83f2efc4ef091aadd8c04d.jpeg