Coach Hunnicutt Q&A

PrepGridiron

We are expected to start at 8:30 EST.

We'd like to welcome Coach Hunnicutt to Prepgridiron.com.

Coach Hunnicutt is the head coach for the Grayson Rams. Coach Hunnicutt took over the Grayson program last year after serving as the head coach at East Jackson (GA). Prior to his time at East Jackson, Coach Hunnicutt was a long time assistant with stints at some of the most recognizable programs in Georgia football including, Grayson, Lowndes and Buford. It was at Buford that Coach Hunnicutt had the greatest success helping the Wolves to seven state championships as Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach. In addition, Coach Hunnicutt has also had stops at North Clayton and Peach County. Coach finished last year with a record of 10-2, racking up four out of state wins in the process. 

In collaboration with PrepGridiron Logistics, coach has been kind enough to give us some of his time and answer several questions posed by the members of this board. As we have done in the past, we will be asking coach the questions and he will be responding in the thread. We will be asking coach five questions and expect to open up the floor to members. Feel free to respond and ask questions, note, however, that it will be at Coach's discretion whether he responds further. Lastly, we ask that you keep your responses civil and on topic. The thread will be heavily moderated so that we can encourage other coaches to come on in the future. Thanks again, Coach, and everyone enjoy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

It's 830, let's get started. 

Welcome, Coach. I think the group is excited about this one:

You've been involved in a few out of state tilts. Is the preparation any different for an out of state team that you don't have any familiarity with or that you don't have a common opponent to gauge against?

2 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

It's 830, let's get started. 

Welcome, Coach. I think the group is excited about this one:

You've been involved in a few out of state tilts. Is the preparation any different for an out of state team that you don't have any familiarity with or that you don't have a common opponent to gauge against?

Thank you for the invitation, as for preparation our focus is the same regardless of whether we are playing someone in state or out of state. 

• Like 7

@Coach Hunnicutt we've got a lot of Packers fans and a amount of Rams fans. 

Second question:

After a lengthy tenure at Buford, you moved around a lot from Cambridge to Peach County to Lowndes to Grayson to East Jackson back to Grayson. How would you describe the circuitous path you have taking to be here coaching a nationally ranked program?

9 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

Second Question, @Coach Hunnicutt:

After a lengthy tenure at Buford, you moved around a lot from Cambridge to Peach County to Lowndes to Grayson to East Jackson back to Grayson. How would you describe the circuitous path you have taking to be here coaching a nationally ranked program?

I’ve been blessed to be a part of tremendous programs. Luckily, I’ve had the good fortune of coaching great players and never took for granted my role as a classroom teacher first and foremost. I am very fortunate to say the least. I thoroughly believe it’s incredibly important that your players know you care for them beyond the athletic field.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Coach Hunnicutt said:

I’ve been blessed to be a part of tremendous programs. Luckily, I’ve had the good fortune of coaching great players and never took for granted my role as a classroom teacher first and foremost. I am very fortunate to say the least. I thoroughly believe it’s incredibly important that your players know you care for them beyond the athletic field.

I have great appreciation for the coaches that are also educators. #respect, coach. 

Third question:

Your team is garnering a lot of early season accolades and are ranked top five in the country and number 1 in the state. How much do you and your team buy into that and what do you do to combat those expectations?

First, our focus is Grayson. We can not control anything except our preparation and our response to whatever circumstances come our way.

Second, our kids have done an outstanding job of finishing up their respective recruitment so they can focus on this season.

I think its good that kids can focus on the Senior year.

You answered by next question a bit, so, my favorite question:

Have you ever seen the "Brookwood, Where You At?" video and is it the best music video you've ever seen?

• Haha 1

Just now, PrepGridiron said:

I think its good that kids can focus on the Senior year.

You answered by next question a bit, so, my favorite question:

Have you ever seen the "Brookwood, Where You At?" video and is it the best music video you've ever seen?

Yes I have, what a tremendous and creative way to promote a great rivalry!

• Like 3

Just now, Coach Hunnicutt said:

Yes I have, what a tremendous and creative way to promote a great rivalry!

Yes! Coach. Love it!

I know these guys are chomping at the bit to throw some questions your way. You may have one of our largest live audiences for one of these. So, if you have some time, we'd love for you to field some questions from the members. If so, feel free to let us know when your window is up. 

• Like 1

With as many highly nationally rated players as there are on the team has it presented any difficulties with getting the players to gel as a unit and not as individual stars?, and with has many highly rated players as there are on the roster in there any concern with players "holding back" and playing it safe to prevent injuries before there college careers

• Like 1

We will play anyone, anywhere. Our primary issue is not the team we are playing but rather a matter of financial prudence.

Ok i have another question in response 

If you had to give a estimate on how much money would need to be offered for Grayson to travel to Nevada for example what would you estimate the rough guess being? 

1 minute ago, Woodchopper said:

What is your take on transfers and the huge amount of student athletes that have been moving from school to school?

1 minute ago, Woodchopper said:

What is your take on transfers and the huge amount of student athletes that have been moving from school to school?

Transfers have become the norm, regardless if it’s in Metro Atlanta or South Ga and I’ve coached in both areas. Families invariably will do what they think is best for their son or daughter.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5