A couple more New England OOS games to watch out for

Adam Kurkjian

The two best teams from Rhode Island will play a pair of New York CHSFL AAA/AA teams.

Bishop Hendricken (Warwick, R.I.) will travel to Iona Prep (N.Y.) on Sept. 9 at 2 p.m. Hendricken has won the last seven large school titles in Rhode Island and beat a pretty good team from Connecticut last year. Iona Prep went 8-3 last year but I'm not sure how good they'll be in '17.

La Salle Academy (Providence, R.I.) will host Monsignor Farrell (N.Y.) on Sept. 8 at 6 p.m. La Salle tends to finish right behind Hendricken every year, even if they beat them in the regular season from time to time. La Salle usually also plays a Massachusetts team. Last year the Rams beat Springfield Central, the team that will play Bishop Sullivan, 48-40, and lost to Dartmouth, 32-28. La Salle should be good again and I'm not sure what Farrell brings back.

So, by my early count, you have three New England teams going up against CHSFL AAA/AA teams this fall (all three of which should be reasonably competitive, the best I can tell):

Xaverian (Mass.) at Archbishop Stepinac (N.Y.)

Bishop Hendricken (R.I.) at Iona Prep (N.Y.)

Monsignor Farrell (N.Y.) at La Salle Academy (R.I.)

Throw in the Bishop Sullivan (Va.) at Springfield Central (Mass.) game on opening weekend up here and there are some good OOS games to look forward in the area.