So Proud of my "Grand Daughters"

DarterBlue

2 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Getting to the Women's World Cup for the first time ever when the men have failed to do so since France 98.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/backroom-staff-key-to-reggae-girlz-world-cup-success_147634?profile=1606

When I left Jamaica in the early 1980s women were not even allowed to compete in Soccer. 

That is so coool!!!!! 

You granddaughters play on the team????

My daughter plays for the DR and we have friends on the Jamaican team. 

they must gave faced each other in qualifying. Very cool....

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, noonereal said:

That is so coool!!!!! 

You granddaughters play on the team????

I wish, but no. My granddaughter will most likely end up playing for China if she proves good enough. For that's home for her. However, I am really, really happy for the team and am close to the parents of one of the girls on it.

Also, as a trivia point, one of the members of this team is primarily German and lives in NJ. She made the team on her initiative travelling to Jamaica on her own expense for a tryout. Her other parent is of Jamaican heritage in case you are wondering how she qualified to represent Jamaica. 

51 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I wish, but no. My granddaughter will most likely end up playing for China if she proves good enough. For that's home for her. However, I am really, really happy for the team and am close to the parents of one of the girls on it.

Also, as a trivia point, one of the members of this team is primarily German and lives in NJ. She made the team on her initiative travelling to Jamaica on her own expense for a tryout. Her other parent is of Jamaican heritage in case you are wondering how she qualified to represent Jamaica. 

I understand how it all works, my D has only been to the DR to play. She received duel citizenship  in two days mere hours before her first international appearance. Obviously it generally takes months. (her mom, although an American was born in the DR. so...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/23/2018 at 4:28 AM, DarterBlue said:

Getting to the Women's World Cup for the first time ever when the men have failed to do so since France 98.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/backroom-staff-key-to-reggae-girlz-world-cup-success_147634?profile=1606

When I left Jamaica in the early 1980s women were not even allowed to compete in Soccer. 

Glad to see this.  The Jamaican womens team is looking good and should represent well.

Women's sports in general are slowly improving and some of the ladies, esp. tennis and golf are starting to get better pay and more endorsement money.  They may never match the men, but at least things are getting better.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 7:57 AM, DarterBlue said:

China used to be in the top three in women's soccer, but has slipped in the last few years.  Looking forward to see your granddaughter on the Chinese national team.

1 hour ago, ohio said:

China used to be in the top three in women's soccer, but has slipped in the last few years.  Looking forward to see your granddaughter on the Chinese national team.

That would be at least 16 years away as she is a toddler. Hope I am alive to see it. Her dad played through high school, but his "career" ended there. One advantage she may have if she takes after him is height as he is 6ft 2ins. That's pretty tall for the typical Chinese citizen.