Public vs. Private - California

DogPile

Here is the difference between public and private schools:  Folsom Booster Club has started a GoFundMe account to pay for the trip to next week's State Bowl Game.  Although the community is very affluent, the District pitches in little to fund sports.  Maybe that's why you don't see the Devil playing OOS.

https://www.gofundme.com/folsom-football-state-championship-trip?pc=fb_co_shareflow_w&rcid=r01-154429304719-adab4d3c19e04166&fbclid=IwAR23qkj6FbO8eeHUaMvaq51jXf-hbNYI7NgCqtekSK9Ape9KrV32DUksYbU

26 minutes ago, DogPile said:

Here is the difference between public and private schools:  Folsom Booster Club has started a GoFundMe account to pay for the trip to next week's State Bowl Game.  Although the community is very affluent, the District pitches in little to fund sports.  Maybe that's why you don't see the Devil playing OOS.

How is this different than any other school?

I agree. Not really all that different from other public's. While the community is largely affluent, they are a public school with a budget for football that doesn't often include expenses like SBGs. They are extra.

I don't see any issue here. Even schools like DLS do many different fund raisers to raise money for travel and football related expenses. 

2 minutes ago, Goldmember said:

How is this different than any other school?

The difference is that in this public district at least, football is simply an extracurricular activity and does not get special treatment.  Many coaches volunteer, and the head coach gets the same (or about the same) stipend as a teacher that runs the debate club.  An old friend of mine, whom I worked with in Bergen County back in the '70s, was a high profile coach at one of the NJ big five schools before he left/retired.  He made over $100K as do many coaches in states like Florida.  My point is that is very difficult, under these financial circumstances, to consistently field a nationally relevant public team.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, DogPile said:

The difference is that in this public district at least, football is simply an extracurricular activity and does not get special treatment.  Many coaches volunteer, and the head coach gets the same (or about the same) stipend as a teacher that runs the debate club.  An old friend of mine, whom I worked with in Bergen County back in the '70s, was a high profile coach at one of the NJ big five schools before he left/retired.  He made over $100K as do many coaches in states like Florida.  My point is that is very difficult, under these financial circumstances, to consistently field a nationally relevant public team.

This is almost word-for-word the same situation at private schools.

No coach in Florida makes over 100k.