Is anyone kids being taught this 1619 project?

HSFBfan

If so do you agree with it?

What will be the consequences of it?

Should this be in schools? Historians are arguing that its contents are historically inaccurate 

Is this more indoctrination 

Heres some articles about it

https://www.realclearinvestigations.com/articles/2020/01/31/disputed_ny_times_1619_project_is_already_shaping_kids_minds_on_race_bias_122192.html

https://reason.com/2020/01/28/1619-project-new-york-times-public-schools/

No, my son is at Regis HS in NYC, and my daughters are in Catholic schools so that this never directly affects us.

Gordon Wood, who says it is complete shit, is a Pulitzer Prize-winning historian.  Masters and PhD from Harvard. Taught ant Harvard, Cambridge, and Brown, among other places.  I'm sure he's a Liberal Democrat, and he seeks truth, not fiction.  Writes for Left to Far Left publications much of the time, meaning his bona fides cannot be seriously questioned.

You guys, who spend a lot of time on this side, know what you want; so, post away. But from my brief experience, you're dealing by and large with an under-educated, misinformed bunch, and with a bit more literate apologists who twist facts to justify their feelings and opinions.  So, this is really just an invitation to another circle-jerk heading nowhere.

Of course, it's indoctrination.  All the other excuses are naked pretexts for a power grab via creating a new narrative and consciousness. 

Spend your time reading real stuff, not politicized posts, blogs, websites, and books.  In 10 yrs, you'll be a new man--I'm dead serious.  Maybe, audit classes.  There are on-line classes.  Push yourself.  Maybe, seek a further degree.  Hang around here, and you'll get dumber and ill-informed, leaving aside frustrated and angry.  Your life was meant for more than debating agenda-drive people and what constitutes a hero.

This what plagues America:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Z9K-s0KUM

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Testadura said:

No, my son is at Regis HS in NYC, and my daughters are in Catholic schools so that this never directly affects us.

Gordon Wood, who says it is complete shit, is a Pulitzer Prize-winning historian.  Masters and PhD from Harvard. Taught ant Harvard, Cambridge, and Brown, among other places.  I'm sure he's a Liberal Democrat, and he seeks truth, not fiction.  Writes for Left to Far Left publications much of the time, meaning his bona fides cannot be seriously questioned.

You guys, who spend a lot of time on this side, know what you want; so, post away. But from my brief experience, you're dealing by and large with an under-educated, misinformed bunch, and with a bit more literate apologists who twist facts to justify their feelings and opinions.  So, this is really just an invitation to another circle-jerk heading nowhere.

Of course, it's indoctrination.  All the other excuses are naked pretexts for a power grab via creating a new narrative and consciousness. 

Spend your time reading real stuff, not politicized posts, blogs, websites, and books.  In 10 yrs, you'll be a new man--I'm dead serious.  Maybe, audit classes.  There are on-line classes.  Push yourself.  Maybe, seek a further degree.  Hang around here, and you'll get dumber and ill-informed, leaving aside frustrated and angry.  Your life was meant for more than debating agenda-drive people and what constitutes a hero.

Thank you but I like hanging around here arguing and debating. Its entertaining on a daily basis 

13 minutes ago, Testadura said:

Very well said.  I would just add you should also be reading the political blogs, posts, etc. on all sides if only to get an understanding of the zeitgeist of the various movements.  It’s often helpful in understanding how/why people react the way they do to the pieces of news that do come out.

Also, Regis.  Very impressive.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

Thank you but I like hanging around here arguing and debating. Its entertaining on a daily basis 

you should have fun, of course.  but most are jumping out of their skin or want to dive into the monitor due to what the "other guy" says or believes, which on some level isn't fun.  But let's just assume you're telling yourself the truth, and it's fun or entertaining.

there're other things to life than non-stop entertainment (which is just about all that this new age promotes), and that will hit you head on in 20 yrs.  Plus, happy is impossible to be 100% of the time.  Satisfaction or contentment, plus fun here are there, seems to be what shrinks think offer the best outcomes.

Idle hands, devil's workshop. Be productive, etc.  you're jacking off on a ship designed to sink with you on it.

Last, there are other forms of entertainment that offer you real benefits.  Just sayin'

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Testadura said:

you should have fun, of course.  but most are jumping out of their skin or want to dive into the monitor due to what the "other guy" says or believes, which on some level isn't fun.  But let's just assume you're telling yourself the truth, and it's fun or entertaining.

there're other things to life than non-stop entertainment (which is just about all that this new age promotes), and that will hit you head on in 20 yrs.  Plus, happy is impossible to be 100% of the time.  Satisfaction or contentment, plus fun here are there, seems to be what shrinks think offer the best outcomes.

Idle hands, devil's workshop. Be productive, etc.  you're jacking off on a ship designed to sink with you on it.

Last, there are other forms of entertainment that offer you real benefits.  Just sayin'

Yeah but those entertainment costs money. This is free. And I enjoy it thoroughly. 10 years of being on the boards. Never gets old. 

20 hours ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

Very well said.  I would just add you should also be reading the political blogs, posts, etc. on all sides if only to get an understanding of the zeitgeist of the various movements.  It’s often helpful in understanding how/why people react the way they do to the pieces of news that do come out.

Also, Regis.  Very impressive.

absolutely agree especially if you have some basics, some understanding of where these ideas came from and are heading, and a framework to analyze them in. 

He wanted to go there--we never pushed.  Now, he's a Senior in 2nd trimester.  3-yrs-plus of a 3.5-4-hr commute--never complained once.  1st day, I showed him how to take the subway at 86th and Lex to Grand Central Station, from there, the 7 to the Port Authority, and from there, the bus to Ridgeway park-n-ride.  Freshman and Sophomore yrs were not too hard--his friends at Bosco might have worked harder or just as hard, not sure.  Junior yr was a killer w/ college-level Calculus and Physics.  Him Mom and I weren't tiger parents.  We didn't want a bridge-jumper or opioid addict, or just a miserable kid saying wtf, given that he worked much, much harder than my wife and I ever did, except in law school.

I wouldn't want to be a kid nowadays.  Deck is stacked against him, and many others, but he's pretty care-free.  So ... ????

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Yeah but those entertainment costs money. This is free. And I enjoy it thoroughly. 10 years of being on the boards. Never gets old. 

Posting is fun.  have a great time, sincerely.  I know that you don't sweat a lot of stuff--it rolls off you.

I'm crankier than you.  E.g., I was at a party in which a dentist (at his house) tells me that Jefferson and Stalin were politically and morally equivalent--the same.  I got sucked in.  I tried to explain using his facts and his logic and his standards how that was not so (that tends to be a more persuasive and convincing way to discuss).  He then tries to tell me that we never made it to the moon, and gave me his theory--why hasn't anyone else been there?  I got drunk with Buzz Aldrin at the NYAC at a wedding while getting updates on the Bosco-Manatee game in 2011, and this dentist is telling me about his fucked-up ideas--he, though, is a good guy.  Dentists in the '50s weren't that stupid.  My non-college-educated mother's not that stupid.  my working-class father wasn't that stupid.

I have less patience. 

1 minute ago, Testadura said:

Posting is fun.  have a great time, sincerely.  I know that you don't sweat a lot of stuff--it rolls off you.

I'm crankier than you.  E.g., I was at a party in which a dentist (at his house) tells me that Jefferson and Stalin were politically and morally equivalent--the same.  I got sucked in.  I tried to explain using his facts and his logic and his standards how that was not so (that tends to be a more persuasive and convincing way to discuss).  He then tries to tell me that we never made it to the moon, and gave me his theory--why hasn't anyone else been there?  I got drunk with Buzz Aldrin at the NYAC at a wedding while getting updates on the Bosco-Manatee game in 2011, and this dentist is telling me about his fucked-up ideas--he, though, is a good guy.  Dentists in the '50s weren't that stupid.  My non-college-educated mother's not that stupid.  my working-class father wasn't that stupid.

I have less patience. 

I have my skepticism about going to the moon but they record like 12 people going to the moon. But why havent we been there since 1972. 

U have to laugh at alot of the stuff posted on this board. It's all opinions and than u try to drop fact and the convo stops then. The only thing that keeps convos going is opinions and name calling. 

55 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I have my skepticism about going to the moon but they record like 12 people going to the moon. But why havent we been there since 1972. 

U have to laugh at alot of the stuff posted on this board. It's all opinions and than u try to drop fact and the convo stops then. The only thing that keeps convos going is opinions and name calling. 

I'd listen to reasons (he didn't have any, just skepticism, which is ok as long as you don't try to hard to sell it without basis), and I believe that my Gov't lies to me, but sometimes unnecessarily.  but you can't pivot as a dentist from Jefferson to the moon

I'm just saying reading will help narrow the disagreements to manageable topics, and when you're done, you might have more agreement and more respect for one another.  it would be bad if we all agreed on everything, but unnecessary and painful disagreements ... ????  I threw out some thoughts

that's really all.  neither "side" is dumb--they're are good reasons for each to believe some of what they believe.  each side is right about a lot.  so, do you make the conversation constructive, or incendiary and insulting?

• Like 2