Horse racing

HSFBfan

32 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

does anyone besides me watch and bet on the horses?

If not do you wanna learn how to do it?

I dont think this thread will get a response but I figured I'd throw it out there 

In Jamaica, I used to play the ponies diligently. In the USA, I have been to the race track 6 times in 37 years. I found the early Jamaican experience very useful to my market trading, as it gave me a keen sense of assessing odds. 

I have left the track behind me because it takes too much of the pot off the top. That reduces the odds of being profitable unless you have non-public knowledge.  

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

In Jamaica, I used to play the ponies diligently. In the USA, I have been to the race track 6 times in 37 years. I found the early Jamaican experience very useful to my market trading, as it gave me a keen sense of assessing odds. 

I have left the track behind me because it takes too much of the pot off the top. That reduces the odds of being profitable unless you have non-public knowledge.  

Well if u bet on Monmouth in NJ they put out an article that said u can lock in ur odds. So for example if u find a horse at 10/1 and you bet on it early enough no matter what the odds change too you keep it at 10/1

21 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Well if u bet on Monmouth in NJ they put out an article that said u can lock in ur odds. So for example if u find a horse at 10/1 and you bet on it early enough no matter what the odds change too you keep it at 10/1

That is very interesting. But what if the odds went up to say, 12-1: would I just be paid at 10-1? Seems it works both ways, if that's the case. 

5 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

That is very interesting. But what if the odds went up to say, 12-1: would I just be paid at 10-1? Seems it works both ways, if that's the case. 

You would get whatever odds u lock it in at. Whatever it was at time of bet.

So if you get 10/1 and win its a 22 dollar win off of a 2 dollar bet

Let's say it gets to 15/1. It's a 32 dollar win so u lose out on 10 bucks

Now the other day morning line came out 12/1 on a horse. I bet it. It ballooned up to 20/1. Was a 60 dollar winner 

So yes you can lose out on bigger profits 

But nothing pisses u off more than when u find a horse at 5/1 which is fine 12 dollar winner but than gets bet down to 5/2 or even lower and next thing you make 2-4 bucks. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

You would get whatever odds u lock it in at. Whatever it was at time of bet.

So if you get 10/1 and win its a 22 dollar win off of a 2 dollar bet

Let's say it gets to 15/1. It's a 32 dollar win so u lose out on 10 bucks

Now the other day morning line came out 12/1 on a horse. I bet it. It ballooned up to 20/1. Was a 60 dollar winner 

So yes you can lose out on bigger profits 

But nothing pisses u off more than when u find a horse at 5/1 which is fine 12 dollar winner but than gets bet down to 5/2 or even lower and next thing you make 2-4 bucks. 

If you know what you are doing and are a good handicapper, it seems you can use the lock in to your advantage if you bet in a disciplined way.

When I lived in Jamaica, I had the advantage of being good friends with a jockey. We grew up together, so there was a certain amount of trust. I wish I could say things ended well for him. But after his racing career ended, he became addicted to cocaine. His life spiraled out of control, and he was dead at 33. His older brother was my best friend when I lived in East Central Kingston as a teenager. He was one of the smartest kids I had ever met and was also a very good athlete and acrobat. 

If you know what you are doing and are a good handicapper, it seems you can use the lock in to your advantage if you bet in a disciplined way.

When I lived in Jamaica, I had the advantage of being good friends with a jockey. We grew up together, so there was a certain amount of trust. I wish I could say things ended well for him. But after his racing career ended, he became addicted to cocaine. His life spiraled out of control, and he was dead at 33. His older brother was my best friend when I lived in East Central Kingston as a teenager. He was one of the smartest kids I had ever met and was also a very good athlete and acrobat. 

Unfortunately being a jockey can be a sad life. They are not all the Ortiz brothers who ride every millionaire mount and win at the biggest tracks. They basically own belmont and Saratoga. Being a jockey is like being a prostitute. You are used by the horse owners to make money. Your given your cut and.you hope u get the next mount 

8 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Unfortunately being a jockey can be a sad life. They are not all the Ortiz brothers who ride every millionaire mount and win at the biggest tracks. They basically own belmont and Saratoga. Being a jockey is like being a prostitute. You are used by the horse owners to make money. Your given your cut and.you hope u get the next mount 

It is strange position. Your career generally begins in your teens, but you have direct responsibility for really big dollars. KB was a good rider, but he was apprenticed to a scum bucket trainer who eventually lost his license by switching horses in a race. The switched horse won at odd of 35-1. It worked initially but he was ratted out. He was barred from ever training horses again in Jamaica. 

It is strange position. Your career generally begins in your teens, but you have direct responsibility for really big dollars. KB was a good rider, but he was apprenticed to a scum bucket trainer who eventually lost his license by switching horses in a race. The switched horse won at odd of 35-1. It worked initially but he was ratted out. He was barred from ever training horses again in Jamaica. 

Def a scum bag trainer. We have our fair share of scum bags here in the states. But horse racing never seems to do anything because of the amount of money they bring into the sport. Also a big portion of horae betting fans don't follow it regularly. They jump in for a big race and than they are gone 

So, I have to ask this question: Are you familiar with a jockey named Emilio Rodriquez? He and I are the same age and grew up in the same hood. He was not someone I knew well, but was a hell of a jockey in Jamaica and when he migrated had good success at Aqueduct which is in your neck of the woods.

His nickname, for some strange reason, in Jamaica was Bimbo! Go figure. One of the strongest riders I ever saw in action.  

47 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

So, I have to ask this question: Are you familiar with a jockey named Emilio Rodriquez? He and I are the same age and grew up in the same hood. He was not someone I knew well, but was a hell of a jockey in Jamaica and when he migrated had good success at Aqueduct which is in your neck of the woods.

His nickname, for some strange reason, in Jamaica was Bimbo! Go figure. One of the strongest riders I ever saw in action.  

Absolutely I know that name 

I def know him from aqueduct 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Have never done that before 

But it's a good thing! If you had a lot riding on those races you would be rolling in cash this evening.

When I was a kid, they used to show the races live on Saturday from the local racetrack. There was a bet called a twin double where over the last four races of the day, you picked the four winners. On my first venture I persuaded my stepfather, to buy: Chief Minister, My Son, See and GO and Gunman as his twin double. They won for payout of $1,879 on a $1 bet. I was hooked at the age of 12 and for the next eight years was a regular each weekend. I wish I could tell you that the early success was the hallmark of a great run of success. But I would be fibbing. Over the eight years I barely broke even even though I was friends with two jockeys over the period. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DarterBlue said:

But it's a good thing! If you had a lot riding on those races you would be rolling in cash this evening.

When I was a kid, they used to show the races live on Saturday from the local racetrack. There was a bet called a twin double where over the last four races of the day, you picked the four winners. On my first venture I persuaded my stepfather, to buy: Chief Minister, My Son, See and GO and Gunman as his twin double. They won for payout of $1,879 on a $1 bet. I was hooked at the age of 12 and for the next eight years was a regular each weekend. I wish I could tell you that the early success was the hallmark of a great run of success. But I would be fibbing. Over the eight years I barely broke even even though I was friends with two jockeys over the period. 

Very hard to break even in this game 

I've never won that amount but I rarely play daily doubles pick 4 pick 5 pick 6 

The most ive won on any given race was actually today 67 bucks on a 3 dollar bet 

2 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

Very hard to break even in this game 

I've never won that amount but I rarely play daily doubles pick 4 pick 5 pick 6 

The most ive won on any given race was actually today 67 bucks on a 3 dollar bet 

That's still a very big percentage return. You are also correct. It is very hard to do that kind of return in stocks. You would have to trade options or futures to even come close. But futures and options are far more difficult to trade than stocks. So, it's a damned if you do/don't kind of situation. 

1 hour ago, DarterBlue said:

That's still a very big percentage return. You are also correct. It is very hard to do that kind of return in stocks. You would have to trade options or futures to even come close. But futures and options are far more difficult to trade than stocks. So, it's a damned if you do/don't kind of situation. 

Absolutely and I'm not experienced enough to try to time a stock to guess if the stock will be above or below a certain price on a given day 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

Absolutely and I'm not experienced enough to try to time a stock to guess if the stock will be above or below a certain price on a given day 

It takes a lot of hard work to get to that point. Forecasting the future is very hard. I have been in the markets for over 30 years. My win percentage is only 55%. But I usually win a lot more on the winners than I lose on the losers. So, my rate of dollar success is much better than my win percentage implies. I manage to score bigger on my winners by letting them run as far as I am able. I lose small on my losers by cutting my losses if the stock performs poorly within a week or at the most two of buying it. So, I usually have the winners for months and the losers for a week or less.

This works for me. However, it took over 5 years of study, watching market action, evaluating indicators, designing a trading plan that works for me, and self evaluation before I got to that stage. Most people get washed out before they get to it. And, that's all right. Because if you are really going to be consistently successful in this game, it needs the devotion of a minimum of 20 hours serious work a week. It is not "free money." So, if you don't have the time or the love for it, it just becomes another job. Now nothing wrong with it being a job if you are very good at it. But if you are just average, then it becomes a daily grind like most jobs people have. 

• Like 1