Latest on the Bergen Catholic wrestling scandal

Mickeybern

I am closer to the wrestling program than the football program and this latest tidbit was just given to me by someone in the know. It seems like the plaintiff's have offered to withdraw their suit and drop all charges if Coach Bell and Bergen Catholic agree not to counter sue. If this is correct than the only person hurt by this will be the kid who is now persona non grata in the wrestling world. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mickeybern said:

I am closer to the wrestling program than the football program and this latest tidbit was just given to me by someone in the know. It seems like the plaintiff's have offered to withdraw their suit and drop all charges if Coach Bell and Bergen Catholic agree not to counter sue. If this is correct than the only person hurt by this will be the kid who is now persona non grata in the wrestling world. 

Why would the coach agree to not sue? His name has been dragged thru the mud. 

Just now, LiberalDonaldTrump said:

So that whole thing with Spataro was bullshit?

it seems that way and not for anything Liberal I  thought that that part might be the most possible. I just don't trust some assistant coaches in any sports. Meatheads in both football and wrestling are aplenty and I could write a scenario in my head where an assistant went to far in his comfort zone. But if it is is dismissed then he of all people is owed an apology. That said, lets understand that dropping a suit doesn't mean it didn't happen just that it is not worth persuing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mickeybern said:

it seems that way and not for anything Liberal I  thought that that part might be the most possible. I just don't trust some assistant coaches in any sports. Meatheads in both football and wrestling are aplenty and I could write a scenario in my head where an assistant went to far in his comfort zone. But if it is is dismissed then he of all people is owed an apology. That said, lets understand that dropping a suit doesn't mean it didn't happen just that it is not worth persuing.

The Spataro thing was the strangest one and the one that given the detail in the complaint may have had some legs.

But if the earlier post about dropping it is true, that is huuuuuuge!  Very rare to see a “walk away” by a Plaintiff, (it’s happened once since I began practicing).  

If there is ANYTHING to a case, no matter how slim, they will usually try to get some type of settlement.  The threat of a trial where the attorneys can throw the words “Catholic” and “Abuse” to a jury in every other sentence should at least give them some leverage in getting some $.  

But the case must be building up so overwhelmingly against the Plaintiff that it’s radioactive and these lawyers (including the kid’s uncle) want nothing to do with it.  

If I am Bell I put this thing behind me, get an ironclad release from these psychopath Armenians, and move on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

The Spataro thing was the strangest one and the one that given the detail in the complaint may have had some legs.

But if the earlier post about dropping it is true, that is huuuuuuge!  Very rare to see a “walk away” by a Plaintiff, (it’s happened once since I began practicing).  

If there is ANYTHING to a case, no matter how slim, they will usually try to get some type of settlement.  The threat of a trial where the attorneys can throw the words “Catholic” and “Abuse” to a jury in every other sentence should at least give them some leverage in getting some $.  

But the case must be building up so overwhelmingly against the Plaintiff that it’s radioactive and these lawyers (including the kid’s uncle) want nothing to do with it.  

If I am Bell I put this thing behind me, get an ironclad release from these psychopath Armenians, and move on.

i agree with you..also I do think that the fact that the name is out there is huuuge...I don't know what these parents were thinking. Their kid isn't an 8 year old who has complained to his parents. He is 17 and has been putting on a tantrum for the last 3 months. Bell and Spataro would probably need a strongly worded statement exonerating them of all wrongdoing. These allegations were horrendous and the only way for a full rehabilitation of their characters would be for the plaintiffs to be forced to deny all wrongdoing by the coaches. 

• Like 1