Apopka Spring Jamboree

DarterBlue

Took place at Deltona Pine Ridge School. It featured: Apopka, Orange City University and the host team Pine Ridge.  Orange City University in the past three years is probably the best Central Florida team to not make the playoffs. Pine Ridge, on the other hand, has been an average team at best. Each team played two quarters with the other two teams. In the first two quarters against Pine Ridge, Apopka scored on five of its six possessions winning 35-7.  In the final six and a half minutes of the second quarter, Apopka cleared its bench but was still able to score with its second stringers in. In its second two quarters against Orange City University, Apopka scored on six of its eight possessions (actually scoring seven times but one was called back on a block in the back) to win 42-13.  

The takeaway - Apopka's offense has come a long way in the two weeks since the spring scrimmage. Part of this is the fact that the talent was not divided into two teams. However, it is obvious that there was significant improvement in the play of the offensive line. The defense, for the most part stopped the run effectively, but gave up a few big plays through the air. In both games Apopka used both the single wing and spread sets. It employed more of the former against Pine Ridge and more of the latter against University. It moved the ball effectively from both formations. While neither Jackson nor Jacoryan is Zack Darlington, both have the ability to play a more conventional quarterback role than some of the QBs/FBs employed in recent memory. If Apopka decides to mix it up in the regular season, the offense has a chance to be as good as it was in 2012.The kicker continues to improve nailing all 11 extra points. While he did not attempt any field goals, my sense is that he would probably be good from 35 yards out or less. 

Despite having one of its key weapons out with injury, this Apopka squad has a lot of potential. No, its defense will not rival Wekiva's. However, the team has the potential to put enough points on the board in its games that it may not be a factor. Late August is a long way away, so much could change. However, as of now, I am optimistic about this team's chances come the playoffs.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Solid analysis as usual, DB. I think Apopka will try to mix it up more offensively this fall. That's something they've got to do if they are going to be able to move the ball when they play Wekiva, which probably has the best DL I've seen in high school. The Blue Darters have moved to a 3-4 defense, which is a huge change for coach Rick Darlington. He's been a 4-3 guy since back when he had hair and none of it was gray. It works more like a five-man front as the two outside LB are really stand-up DE, especially against teams that want to run the ball. The OL did better than I expected, but I realize the Darters were not facing a murderer's row. It will be a different game when Apopka takes on the likes of Dr. Phillips, Lakeland, Bartram Trail, Wekiva, and others this fall, but the Blue Darters, once again, should be a solid playoff contender in 2018.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, APKnewsguy said:

Solid analysis as usual, DB. I think Apopka will try to mix it up more offensively this fall. That's something they've got to do if they are going to be able to move the ball when they play Wekiva, which probably has the best DL I've seen in high school. The Blue Darters have moved to a 3-4 defense, which is a huge change for coach Rick Darlington. He's been a 4-3 guy since back when he had hair and none of it was gray. It works more like a five-man front as the two outside LB are really stand-up DE, especially against teams that want to run the ball. The OL did better than I expected, but I realize the Darters were not facing a murderer's row. It will be a different game when Apopka takes on the likes of Dr. Phillips, Lakeland, Bartram Trail, Wekiva, and others this fall, but the Blue Darters, once again, should be a solid playoff contender in 2018.

Bartram Trail loses a lot but those other games will be tough 

Apopka usually top 10 in FL or pushing heavy on the top 10 so should be interesting how things shape up in 8a

• Like 1