Augie Q &A. SjR 2.0

LiberalDonaldTrump

https://amp.northjersey.com/amp/955180002?__twitter_impression=true

https://amp.northjersey.com/amp/940479002?__twitter_impression=true

I had been waiting for this conversation with Augie Hoffmann for months. Do you realize that of the Bergen County non-public football schools, he's now the Dean of the coaches? He's got the longest tenure over Teel, Vito, Whitehead and Mike Coyne at St. Mary (McKenna at DePaul has been around the longest). Augie has only earned one state title in his tenure so far, but it's clear that's his primary motivation. But I was also interested to hear what Augie's plans were during his forced hiatus/suspension and whether or not he thinks he's too intense for his own good. Augie and I chatted after practice Wednesday afternoon in the Joe's weight room.

So what did you do this summer, did you take any time off?

“No, we didn’t really get a chance to take much time off. This summer more than ever, it just seems like we have been so uber-focused just the way last season ended, we want to get the bad taste out of our mouths. These guys had a great summer. It started in the weight room. Our testing was phenomenal this year. Preseason minicamp was great. They did a great job of OTA and the first three days of camp have been very strong.

Is there any concern about burning out early?

“Yes. The short answer to that is I learned that in 2015, because we limped into  the finals and Don Bosco physically beat us up and down the field. I think it as a combination of, they were very good and physical and we were dead at the end of the year. And running into a team that was physical as they were and fresher….so ever since then, we have done a good job of understanding these kids now, because kids are different now from when I was in high school and when you were in high school. I think understand what it takes to keep them fresh. I think we’re doing the right mix of getting out of them what we need of them what we need and pulling back when we have to."

Ok, well, you say pulling back, you just practiced hard for 2 hours in the mid afternoon....

“That’s designed, because its going to be hot in Atlanta and we’re never going to be able to simulate the heat that is down there, unless its at 2 o’clock on the turf."

So that was a conscious decision?

"Absolutely. We re doing everything earlier. Our walk through is earlier. Our meetings are earlier to get to that 2 o'clock heat."

How hard will it be to be away?

"It's going to be horrible. It's really going to be horrible. This is, next to my family, this is the most important thing I have in my life. It's already going too fast. I already feel like it's going to be here and I don’t know what I am going to do with myself, but we will abide by the decision. We have to take it, and hopefully, two weeks go fast.

Are you going to Atlanta?

"I am going to Atlanta basically as a chaperone."

Where will you be during the game?

"I will be off campus. Probably at the hotel."

So what can you do?

"I cant have contact at all. I cant even be at practice starting game, I guess Monday the 26th so I have to kind of make myself scarce. I have nothing to do with the football program for two weeks. The state is allowing me to go because of the unique circumstance of us playing out of state games inn a chaperone capacity. Anything to do with football I am not involved."

So team meeting, walkthough?

"No."

Skull sessions, film study?

"Zero."

What are you gonna do with yourself?

"I don’t know."

Have you decided who will coach the team?

"I have. Its going to stay the same. Coach Stern will coach the offense. Coach Marangi will coach the defense. John Lanari will assume head coaching duties. He’s the longest tenured member of the staff. He was here with coach Karcich. Rob has been here the longest out of everybody, but John will give us the level-headedness and experience we need. I think it's important to keep everything as close to normal as possible."

Is it almost, like, it's 4th and 1 during the game, Rob says go for it, Marangi said no, and John is the tiebreaking vote?

"Yes. We don’t even have those issues, but I figure it's more important, why make two moves to make one. So just replace me and Rob will do what he does, and Danny will do what he does."

This has been discussed?

"Yes."

Did you make any changes on staff?

"For the most part we are the same, we added Steve Gonzalez as coach of our wide receivers. He’s better known as Speedy. He trains high school kids up to NFL players. Sanu Facetimed our kids the other day. Julio Jones. He’s been a tremendous help for our wide receievers. And we brought Greg Tanzer back. Coach Tanz and I had a relationship when he was here and when he left we stayed in touch, and when things changed over at PC, it was like, why not bring a great guy back on staff?"

After everything that happened last year, are you worried you’re too intense?

"No. I don’t know if that’s even possible in this game. I learned this the hard way from my offensive line coach in college, if I can apply as much pressure to them in practice, they will be ready for the game. As a kid, it's sometimes hard to understand."

Is it hard to walk the line, where players know coach is intense, but that doesn’t mean you can hit late after the whistle?

"Oh yeah, our guys play with an edge. That’s not an accident. I want them to play with an edge and I think the team that can generate a little bit of, wow, that’s St. Joe’s, fear, a little edge. That goes a long way, but I think the one thing our guys know is I'm going to push them as far as I can push them, but I will be the first guy to put my arm around them. I think at the beginning, especially the young guys have a hard time understanding, is he mad at me? But I tell them when we walk off the white lines, it goes back to coach and I love you. I think sometimes they think is coach bipolar or something? (smiles) but they have to know that we are here for them off the field and what goes on on the field is no reflection of how I feel about them as human beings.

Do you really want to be in Non-Public 4?

"Absolutely. It was great for us in 2015….for years, we were fighting the [stigma] about who we played and even the years we would be No. 1 and won the whole thing, people said, well, you didn’t play Bergen twice or Bosco twice, it wasn’t our fault. We weren’t even the biggest Group 3. Now, there is no excuses. Everybody wants to go 12-0, I don’t know if that’s possible, but if you win them all, nobody can say anything."

Who's the team to beat?

"If you’re a St. Joe’s football player or coach, it's Bergen Catholic and that’s not because they won it all last year, it’s just because we’re St. Joes and they’re Bergen. That’s a healthy, awesome rivalry, but you want to win the division too."

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

They're similar to what's DJ Durkin runs at Maryland ;) 

That’s terrible 

👿👿👿👿👿😔😞😟

just cold

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Coach Augie is intense, would like to observe practice. Enjoy practices more so than games to see how it’s put together. 

Regards

BGW

Favorite quote of the Day from coach

‘We’ve been running trap here for 30 years but this year we don’t have a fucking — guard who can run.”

• Haha 1