Your Money or Your Life

DarterBlue

Is a book that fundamentally changed the way in which I view: work, life and the world in general. No, I never became an adherent of the various detailed steps outlined in the book and accompanying workbook. However, overall, I found the book to be full of sage advice which if most individuals stopped to reflect a bit, would turn the way in which they view the world at least 90 if not 180 degrees. For those not acquainted with it, it was written by a former Goldman Sachs Investment banker and updated by his female companion/friend? after his demise. The author walked away from a lucrative career in his 30s and spent the rest of his life living it the way he truly wanted as opposed to how society influences, or in many ways for many people, forces you to due to financial and other commitments. 

As we enter what I think will be a really nasty bear market and continue to see turbulent times on the political front, as well as economic disruption despite a strong economy, I would recommend giving this book a read. Not sure if it is still in print, but I am sure you can find used copies on Amazon's website, as well as your local library, which despite defunding and the challenges of digital platforms, is still one of the best "gifts" bequeathed to us by our often maligned government.

The author of the book was: Joseph Dominguez. It was subsequently updated by his companion Vicki Robin. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

Is a book that fundamentally changed the way in which I view: work, life and the world in general. No, I never became an adherent of the various detailed steps outlined in the book and accompanying workbook. However, overall, I found the book to be full of sage advice which if most individuals stopped to reflect a bit, would turn the way in which they view the world at least 90 if not 180 degrees. For those not acquainted with it, it was written by a former Goldman Sachs Investment banker and updated by his female companion/friend? after his demise. The author walked away from a lucrative career in his 30s and spent the rest of his life living it the way he truly wanted as opposed to how society influences, or in many ways for many people, forces you to due to financial and other commitments. 

As we enter what I think will be a really nasty bear market and continue to see turbulent times on the political front, as well as economic disruption despite a strong economy, I would recommend giving this book a read. Not sure if it is still in print, but I am sure you can find used copies on Amazon's website, as well as your local library, which despite defunding and the challenges of digital platforms, is still one of the best "gifts" bequeathed to us by our often maligned government.

The author of the book was: Joseph Dominguez. It was subsequently updated by his companion Vicki Robin. 

Have you read Security Analysis? If so, what do you think about it? It’s a recent addition to my collection of books.

51 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Have you read Security Analysis? If so, what do you think about it? It’s a recent addition to my collection of books.

If you are referring to the classic Dodd/Graham book, the answer is: It was a prescribed book when I was in graduate school back in the 1980s. However, I found it boring and it did not fit my way of approaching the markets.

So, the short answer is: I selectively read some of the chapters, enough to get through the course, but no, I have not read the entire book.

With that said, Warren Buffet is one of the ten richest individuals on earth and treated that book as his bible. So, it clearly works for some individuals and should probably be treated with more respect than I showed it. 

On 10/27/2018 at 5:18 AM, DarterBlue said:

Very good book that is not only about investing, but asks its readers to think about these questions and offers solutions to them.

• Do you have enough money?
  • Are you spending enough time with family and friends?
  • Do you come home from your job full of life?
  • Do you have time to participate in things you believe are worthwhile?
  • If you were laid off from your job, would you see it as an opportunity?
  • Are you satisfied with the contribution you have made to the world?
  • Are you at peace with money?
  • Does your job reflect your values?
  • Do you have enough savings to see you through six months of normal living expenses?
  • Is your life whole? Do all the pieces — your job, your expenditures, your relationships, your values — fit together?

Here is a summary to the book.  

https://ymoyl.wordpress.com/summary-of-your-money-or-your-life/

• Like 1