U.S. Supreme Court tosses ruling against wedding cake bakers

Slotback Right

The US Supreme Court threw out a ruling by an Oregon Appeals Court, which had upheld a $135,000 lower court ruling against an Oregon baker who refused to bake a wedding cake for a lesbian wedding. The SCOTUS told the lower court to try again.

The justices in a brief order sent the case back to an Oregon court so it can reconsider its 2017 ruling upholding the state's $135,000 penalty against the bakery owners for violating an Oregon anti-discrimination law in light of the Supreme Court's 2018 decision in a strikingly similar case from Colorado.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-supreme-court-tosses-ruling-against-wedding-cake-bakers-who-rebuffed-lesbians/ar-AAD0v1e?li=BBnbcA1

On 6/17/2019 at 9:56 PM, Slotback Right said:

This is the Oregon bakery case. You are referencing the Ohio case. Do you see them as being similar?

Yeah but I thought I quoted the one you did further down lol...anyhoo

both boil down to the same exact issue, although in one the proprietor was fined for the response, and in the other the owner was slandered for their response.....

In the other thread I also noted the circumstance of going into a Jewish bakery and requesting a custom "Happy Birthday Hitler" cake......

This is also the same exact issue....so it (should be) pretty easy to see how the stance noted is not singling out (or otherwise discriminating against) any "cause"....

• Thanks 1