Post-transfer season, in-depth, unit by unit breakdowns of teams

badrouter

It would be nice if we could compile-in one thread, like this one- in-depth breakdowns of top teams. Think a poor man's version of Phil Steele's college guide. Who are the projected starters, how many of them return or are transfers, in each unit on both sides of the ball. It gets tiring reading threads asking to predict outcomes when we don't have much of a picture of how the team will really compare to previous teams. Of course, until we get to practice in August, we can't be sure of who will actually be on the field for everyone. But, by now, most of the transfers are known by those following their teams.

I'm close to being able to give a rundown of my old school. But, the purpose of the thread isn't to talk about any one school. I'd like to have a one-stop thread where a bunch of good information can be found. Try to follow this template.

School:

QB: Projected starter, returnees, impact newcomers, expectations

RB:  Projected starters, returnees, impact newcomers, expectations

WR: Projected starters, returnees, impact newcomers, expectations

OL: Projected starters, returnees, impact newcomers,  expectations

DL: Projected starters, returnees, impact newcomers, expectations

LB: Projected starters, returnees, impact newcomers, expectations

DB: Projected starters, returnees, impact newcomers  expectations

If this information isn't available for teams, than we really can't make any meaningful judgments about how good we expect teams to be. And, if we can't come up with this kind of information once we're in the middle of the season, the same applies to rankings issued then. It's just one huge guessing game where nobody's rankings should be taken seriously. In case this wasn't already obvious...

6 minutes ago, badrouter said:

If this information isn't available for teams, than we really can't make any meaningful judgments about how good we expect teams to be. And, if we can't come up with this kind of information once we're in the middle of the season, the same applies to rankings issued then. It's just one huge guessing game where nobody's rankings should be taken seriously. In case this wasn't already obvious...

Even if all that information was available, rankings would still be subjective.  A team like DLS with a good system can often beat a team having several “better rated” players.  On paper last year, Folsom looked to be the superior team but the moment was too big for them.  I’m sure there are numerous similar examples around the country.  

43 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Even if all that information was available, rankings would still be subjective.  A team like DLS with a good system can often beat a team having several “better rated” players.  On paper last year, Folsom looked to be the superior team but the moment was too big for them.  I’m sure there are numerous similar examples around the country.  

I wasn't talking about counting starred players and the like. I was talking about an analysis of units and how they compare to the previous team. For example:

Lakeland OL: Two returning starters in C N. Dixson and G W. Lampkin; G R. McKenzie started a couple of games and was 6th man on 2018 team; LT A. Smith is 6'3" 270 transfer who started at last school and has small college offers; RT 6'3" 300 transfer started at previous school. Overall, unit has a chance to be as good as last year's unit.

None of the players on that unit have any stars next to their name at the moment. But, one can see where they may be able to be as good as last year's line. Last year's line was good enough to allow the RB to rush for 200+ yards vs an STA defense that almost never allows any back over 200 yards.

We know DLS won't have many players with stars. But, we also know the program has beaten elite teams that do have a lot of players with stars. What I wonder about is, how does their OL compare to last year's unit? Same questions for all of the other units on their team. Same goes for every other team figuring to be in the mix for rankings. 

If, as I suspect, coming by this information for most teams will be impossible, we must concede that ranking these teams or predicting how they would fare in hypothetical match ups is pointless.

• Thanks 1