OT: NFL coaching

Mjd33

So coaching blunders yesterday: 

Browns coach kitchens doesn’t challenge for PI to get a down back? He also called a draw play on 4th and 9? Plus not one running play to Chubb when first and G on the 5 with timeouts at end of game.... all 4 passing plays when Baker was harassed all night.  Kitchens in post game said he was terrible calling plays and his reasoning for not challenging to get a down back was jumbled jargon of nonsense. 

Pete Carroll after seahawk td makes it 13 point game he elects to kick PAT to cut it to 12 so still a 3 score game ? Two point cuts it to 11 and 2 score Game. Post game he says yea I messed up there. 

Lastly, Arians on Bucs intentionally takes delay of game pushing fg back 5 yards and kicker missed. Arians said he is better from farther  back? MAYBE you take delay if kick was on a left or right hash to reduce angle but it was straight on and his explanation made no sense. 

These are head coaches in the fucking Nfl .... Most HS coaches wouldn’t make any of the above mistakes.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jamzz94549 said:

How is being 12 points down a 3 score game? Wouldn’t that be a 2 touchdown game, even without extra points? 

Yes, that’s two touchdowns. 

Down 11 you can get td a 2 point conversion and a fg to tie it.

It’s Harder to get two tds than 1 td/2 point try and a fg. 

10 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

Yes, that’s two touchdowns. 

Down 11 you can get td a 2 point conversion and a fg to tie it.

It’s Harder to get two tds than 1 td/2 point try and a fg. 

You did misspeak (or mistype as it were) but I knew what you were getting at. ;) And I fully agree.

While 12 is still a 2 score game, the odds are clearly better of scoring a TD and a FG than 2 TD's in the time allotted. Regardless, kicking the XP at that point of the game makes zero sense as there's no difference between a 12 and 13 point game (should you not convert). But an 11 point game gives you more options.

IMO, a vast majority of coaches don't really have a firm understanding of when and when not to go for 2 point tries. Unless you have a problematic kicking game, I subscribe to the notion that you never go for 2 until you have to. Meaning when time becomes a factor and possessions more limited. There's really not many circumstances where it's warranted during the 1st half or even early in the 2nd half.

I've seen teams miss a 1 point XP early on then compound it by trying to make up for it the very next TD when it's not necessary. For example, down 14-6, they score to pull within 14-12 then attempt a 2 pt conversion only to fail. The opponent follows up by scoring a TD and converts the standard XP. Now the team is down 21-12 making it a 2 possession game.

I've seen many games lost by coaches chasing points far too early.

Conversely, I recently saw what I thought was a very calculated gamble on a 2 pt try (can't recall which college team it was). Anyway, up 1 point, they scored a TD to go up 7 with around 5-6 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter. Instead of kicking the XP to go up 8 and force the opponent to score a TD and convert the 2 point try, they went for 2 themselves in an attempt to make it a 9 point game. And they converted it.

I loved that aggressive decision because the likeliest scenario had they not converted was the other team scoring then playing it safe by kicking the XP for the tie thus playing for OT. But by opting to go for 2 and converting to go up 9, they essentially won the game right there.