Ohio Week 7 Predictions/Discussion

Coletrain06

11 hours ago, hardhit1 said:

Ed’s wins 7-3 

Green Wall prevails 

Been decades since we’ve seen a defensive slugfest like that. Maybe the 40 degree temps played into it. Can’t rule out any outcome in the Holy War. I’d have to watch again to provide a more thorough breakdown of the game, but just great overall efforts from both defenses in a very physical game. Yards in between the tackles were difficult to come by. I said it would be a dogfight and it was. Great defensive adjustments by Pappas in the second half to dial up the pressure. Hanna forces throws when pressured. Led to an illegal throw to an ineligible receiver and the game clinching INT. 

Ignatius now needs to win out. If they do, a first round rematch is possible despite both teams hoping to avoid that possibility. 

My top 10 heading into week eight:

1. Mentor - the Cardinals are receiving little to no resistance in an otherwise competitive GCC, averaging 55.5 points on offense while giving up only 3.5.  Another onslaught should be on the way this week against Shaker before playing host to a talented Euclid team that has played spoiler to them in recent years. 

2. St. Edward - the defense that received all the preseason attention appears to be finally peaking at the right time. Ignatius was able to move the ball between the 30's in the first half with some success, but were held out of the endzone. The second half is where the Ed's defense really dialed up the pressure and forced the Cats into some uncharacteristic penalties and turnovers.  Canada North comes into town this week and the Eagles better not let their guard down after the rivalry game as we know these canucks can actually play some ball. 

3. Hoban - another week, another overmatched NCL opponent. I understand the constraints of being in a league, but I really would have liked to see this team schedule a quality OOS opponent.  Harrisburg (PA) was not that opponent. Ignatius was their biggest out-of-conference game, and they blew it after making the Wildcats look like they didn't belong on the same field for the first half. Even though this Hoban team may be the best in the state when they bring it for four quarters, I'm going to have a tough time moving them up higher than the eventual D1 champion. We'll shall see though. If they dominate an explosive Massillon team and handle whoever they meet in the finals, then there will be a healthy debate. 

4. Elder - a dominant victory over Moeller (as expected), and now the Panthers have to go on the road to face a Winton Woods teams fighting for their playoff lives. The much maligned Elder defense looked solid for the most part against X before letting down late when the game was in hand. We'll find out if they have actually turned the corner against a much more athletic WW team that I believe should have Miyan Williams back at their disposal this week. 

5. St. X - coach Specht and the Bombers did not take the canucks lightly and easily took care of business. Back to GCL play and hosting LaSalle, who just got a reality check from their little brothers in Kentucky. I'd like too see if the X offense stays hot against a talented and athletic LaSalle defense.

6. Massillon - bumping the Tigers up a spot this week after they dominated another opponent, this time Gateway (PA). Gateway has fallen off from previous years where they were considered one of the state's top programs, but they still have some good talent that comes through the doors (not unlike Massillon). The Tigers will have to continue to dominate the remainder of the season, even against rival McKinley, to maintain this position. 

7. Fairfield - I'm still going to have to see them beat Colerain before I can buy in fully, but as for this week I'm moving them above the Cards with a more dominating victory against Princeton on the road. 

8. Colerain - I understand that Hamilton played ball control this week (and still only came up with 3 points), but I can't dismiss the lack of offense from the Cards this year. With that being said, defense prevails in November and December, and Colerain can certainly do that. For that reason, they will continue to be a threat in the R4 playoffs this year. 

9. St. Ignatius - event at 3-4, I can't quite drop the Wildcats out of my top ten right now, especially after the battle they just had with Ed's. While I think a more concerted offensive effort from Ed's could have exposed Ignatius' weaknesses better, the Wildcats are definitely playing with a purpose right now.  Win out and they're in, and anything can happen. I'm sure neither Mentor or Ed's are itching for another shot at them. 

10. Olentangy Liberty - I'm finally gonna give central Ohio a little love here as the Patriots have been taking care of business every week against what is probably one of the tougher central Ohio schedules (I know, that's not saying a whole lot). Their program has come on in recent years, and along with Pick Central, appear to be the class of Columbus. 

Others: Springfield, Pick Central, TCC, LaSalle, Winton Woods, Groveport Madison, Dublin Coffman, Euclid

Here's what I got

1 Mentor - Top notch Offense. Defense playing well, but need to see them against another good offense. 

2 St. Edward - All coming together. Watch out for the Eagles in the playoffs. Very well balanced team. 

3 Hoban - Very talented everywhere. Been crushing teams for couple years now. Iggy game just one of those freak occurrences, where Iggy grabbed momentum and Hoban was unable to stem the tide.

4 Elder - Elders line play is dominant and they have a great QB in their offensive system. Great WR's. Can their defense perform well against Winton Woods, a team with tons of offensive speed?

5 St. Xavier - Offense playing well, but can their defense play well when not winning the LOS? 

6 Massillon - Dominant so far. Cruise Control until Playoffs.

7 Colerain - Defense playing great. Offense not playing great. Colerain still moving guys around trying to figure the right personnel at RB. Was gonna switch Colerain and Fairfield,  but realized Fairfield/Hamilton was a one score win for Fairfield.

8 Fairfield  - Complete team. McClain almost unstoppable. Good Defense. Week 10 matchup with Colerain likely for GMC title. I've seen Fairfield past 2 years, and both times had serious success against Colerain. A single play in 2017 broke them, and Colerain battled them last year and refused to let them steal momentum last year. Kept thinking Fairfield would be serious contender if they stay healthy and put it all together.

9 St. Ignatius - Iggy very inconsistent. Injuries play a role, though. Iggy played a very difficult schedule so far.

10 Olentangy Liberty - Liberty playing very well. Winning all of their games against a difficult schedule so far

Others: Springfield, Pick Central, TCC, Groveport Madison, La Salle, Winton Woods, Dublin Coffman, Euclid